Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Mango pruning question

bananafan
11 years ago

I have pruned a few of my mangoes without any bloom. They are sending out new growth now. There are a few more mangoes that I have that have some blooms on them. I'm wondering if it's ok to prune some of the tips without the blooms when there are a few existing blooms on the same plant. Would appreciate any advice. I'll post of some them showing new growth when I get a chance to take pictures of them.

Comments (4)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Banana, I'm not sure 'if' it's suppose to be done or the right think to do but I have done it on several of my Mango trees. I posted a picture below and if you look closely to the some of the tips of the branches you can see where I trimmed some of them and you can also tell by the "light green" leaves where I have new growths, that is where I trimmed them several weeks prior. Usually, once I know that particular branch doesn't have any blooms or fruit and I want to trim that branch I go ahead and trim it...I've been doing this for a few years now and I've never seen any negative affects on the tree...others may not agree and suggest you wait to trim them after all the fruits have been picked so its up to you if you want to try it...Good luck

**Edit**
    BTW, that picture was from last year summer 2012

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 8:22

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's another picture and you can see fruits and new growths were I trimmed those branches several weeks prior...

• bananafan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks puglvr for your feedback and the beautiful pictures of your mangoes. The young red leaves are so pretty.

I'm an impatient gardener and I'd like to see things grow quickly, so I'm going to have to go with your idea.
    Your plants did turn out well ... so it must be the right thing to do :) I do appreciate your info. I'll post pictures of the new growth soon.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

You're welcome banana...Best of luck!!