Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperot

Sugar Apple Blooms?

pepperot
13 years ago

Hi all. This is a recent acquisition from PI a few months ago. Are these the beginnings of blooms?

{{gwi:1312620}}

-Tom

Comments (11)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Yep...they sure are.

Harry

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Get your paint brush and film canister ready. You are about to conduct annona sex!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

This video is for cherimoya, but this is exactly how you pollinate a sugar apple. Happy pollinating!

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Pollination

• mfajar
    13 years ago

Harry, do we have to hand pollinate sugar apples in south Fl? I have one at the same stage as the picture and is my first year with it.
    I saw the video [thanks for posting :)] and if that's the case I'm in over my head!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

mfajar:

Most sugar apples will set fruit without hand pollination in South FL....but you'll get much more fruit and fruit that is more uniformly shaped by hand pollinating.

Harry

• mfajar
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry :) I will watch the video again and read up some more before trying.

• pepperot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry and J. The video is a great instructional. Good luck mfajar!

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Hi pepperot

My Anonas are beginning to bloom in Socal. I don't have a Sugar Apple but my Booth,Pierce Cherimoyas, African Pride Atemoya and Red Ilama are blooming. My last pic is of a Fino De Jete or a Sugar Apple seedling. I threw a couple of seeds, last fall, of both and this one made it. I suspect it's Fino De Jete seedling. Can someone ID it?

{{gwi:1312622}}

• James-hoon
    13 years ago

Damn I'm so jealous of you guys, my cherimoyo still don't have any bloom just a stick from ground with a few leafs that turn yellow.

• charleslou23
    13 years ago

Tom, how old is your sugar apple? Still in pot or in ground now?

• pepperot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Charles,

I'm not sure of the age of the sugar apple. The plant was in a 3 gallon container and around 4 feet when I bought it in January. It's a Pine Island plant. Maybe someone on here may know the age of their 3 gallon plants. It's in a 7 gallon container now. I hear they do well in containers, so I may never plant it. I might try to keep it in a 15 or 25 gallon permanently.

Nice pics Jeff. Hope someone can ID the plant for you.

-Tom