Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Apple Blooms?

Posted by pepperot (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 14:52

Hi all. This is a recent acquisition from PI a few months ago. Are these the beginnings of blooms?

Photobucket

-Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Apple Blooms?

Yep...they sure are.

Harry

o

Get your paint brush and film canister ready. You are about to conduct annona sex!

o

This video is for cherimoya, but this is exactly how you pollinate a sugar apple. Happy pollinating!

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand Pollination

o

Harry, do we have to hand pollinate sugar apples in south Fl? I have one at the same stage as the picture and is my first year with it.
I saw the video [thanks for posting :)] and if that's the case I'm in over my head!

o

mfajar:

Most sugar apples will set fruit without hand pollination in South FL....but you'll get much more fruit and fruit that is more uniformly shaped by hand pollinating.

Harry

o

Thanks Harry :) I will watch the video again and read up some more before trying.

o

Thanks Harry and J. The video is a great instructional. Good luck mfajar!

o

Hi pepperot

My Anonas are beginning to bloom in Socal. I don't have a Sugar Apple but my Booth,Pierce Cherimoyas, African Pride Atemoya and Red Ilama are blooming. My last pic is of a Fino De Jete or a Sugar Apple seedling. I threw a couple of seeds, last fall, of both and this one made it. I suspect it's Fino De Jete seedling. Can someone ID it?

o

Damn I'm so jealous of you guys, my cherimoyo still don't have any bloom just a stick from ground with a few leafs that turn yellow.

o

Tom, how old is your sugar apple? Still in pot or in ground now?

o

Hi Charles,

I'm not sure of the age of the sugar apple. The plant was in a 3 gallon container and around 4 feet when I bought it in January. It's a Pine Island plant. Maybe someone on here may know the age of their 3 gallon plants. It's in a 7 gallon container now. I hear they do well in containers, so I may never plant it. I might try to keep it in a 15 or 25 gallon permanently.

Nice pics Jeff. Hope someone can ID the plant for you.

-Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here