Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amrkhalido

Need help planting tropical trees ,,

amrkhalido
13 years ago

Greetings ,,

I live in Egypt and i want to plant certain types of tropical and subtropical trees ( temperatures range between 40 degrees fahrenheit in the most extreme times and not always ,, to 100+ ,, weather is dry and sunny all over the year ,, rarely raining )

Plants i wish to plant are ( lychee sweatheart and hakiup ,, sapodilla hasa and sillas wood ,, longan biewkiew and kohala ,, jackfruit black gold ,, star fruit hart and bell ,, ice cream bean ,, dragon fruit yellow )

Plants i am already growing ( mango all varities and fruit successfully ,, citrus all types ,, peach ,, certain type of cherimoya or atemoya i dnt knw the difference ,, bananas ,, bottle palm ,, travelers palm ,, areca palm ,,pomegranate ,, guava ,, date palms )

Would anyone who knows a relevance between these types which allows me to plant them tell me ,,

Thanks, Amr

Comments (17)

• nullzero
    13 years ago

You may have a problem with some of the tropical fruits, in the summer time when the high heat and drought conditions occur. Not sure how Lychee would turn out. Ice Cream Bean and Dragon fruit may do ok, with assistance of shade cloth.

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So instead of planting in full sun area ,, i shall plant them in a shade area

• newgen
    13 years ago

Do you have any photos of your fruit trees?
    Thanks,

• mangodog
    13 years ago

....and Amr - do you have an automatic watering system?

(PS - a HUGE congratulations on your overthrow of Mubarek!
    Don't know if you know this but from what I can see the average American is completely and utterly behind what you did and here's hoping you form a better future for yourselves - just try to keep that military in its place!)

sorry i just couldn't resist....hope I didn't offend anyone....

MangoDesertDog

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newgen .. i will take some and post them as soon as i can :DD
    MangoDesertDog .. thanks a lot for your appreciative words and your kind situation ,, of course u dnt offend anyone he is under custody now :DD ,,
    and i know how americans feel and i love american ppl btw ,, i have been to the US many times as i got my LLM degree from Indiana University ,, and regarding the military ,, in Egypt the military tends to be attracted to become a ruler :D ,, its a norm for thousands of years ,, but for nw we try hardly to let the army share the power with civilians ,, maybe we succeed or wait till he make his promised transition of power ,, or we are facing a huge problem :( ,,
    and no i dnt have an automatic watering system ,, can i control the plant through water ,, like watering soo much in summer and decrease dramatically when it reaches too cold ?

Thanks all anyway for your help and attention, Amr

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Amr....well good luck on the political front!

And as far as watering by hand, yes, of course you can do that - obviously every day in the hot summer and a couple times a week in the winter if there has been no rain...
    but do you really want to do that? It's a lot of hours of standing there, hose in hand, but maybe you guys don't have the pvc pipes and equipment to set it up...or...you have the time and the inclination and enjoy doing it!

But yes, you don't need a sprinkler system - but just don't take any extended summer vacations unless you really trust the person who will water them!

Good luck - MadMangoWoofie

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

MadMango , of course we have automated watering systems ,, but i still havent installed one yet ,, i use irrigation method ,, as i do have someone to water the plants ,, but it seems to be a must for automated watering ,,

Thanks, Amr

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Amr,

it looks like the growing conditions are very similar over here: 55 degrees in the coolest winter nights and over 100 in the hottest summer days. hummidity drops around 40% by day. by night it gets very humid. hardly any rain and blue sky most of the time. wind is moderate.

longan and sapodilla do excellent over here! lychee also grows and fruits, but doesn't like wind and low humidity too much. i'm trying to get some 'low land' cultivars. they should work better ;-)

the starfruit is very delicate concening wind and low humidity/heat. they need some shading and wind protection!

i have about 10 pacays (inga feuillei) still under evaluation, but the look very good so far..

other species growing and fruiting very good: canistel, black zapote, eugenias, lucuma, mamoncillo (Melicoccus bijugatus), guanabana, white zapote, syzygiums...

by the way, my trees get a sun and wind protection for the first 12 to 24 month for a better development. otherwise it's too much stress for the young plants in this arid climate:

{{gwi:1312653}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

{{gwi:1312655}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

regards,

felipe

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Picorazi - thanks for the reminder on the shade needs in "our" 100+ summers for those smaller plants....I need to set something up soon as we're in the 90's the last few days and this week.....

Your little shade lamps look like excellent protection for what's to come!

mangoterrier

• Kevin Reilly
    13 years ago

amr,

no figs for you? if pomegranates are doing well so should figs, not tropical but very tasty! post pics when you can....

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thx felipe for your help ,,
    i will post a few pics i took 3 years ago ,, and as soon as the heat wave calms down i will take pics for the mango trees and the other trees i have ,,
    passionfruit
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/Amrkhalido/IMG_2235.jpg[/IMG]
    green variety for fig ,, i do have the brown one also ,,
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/Amrkhalido/IMG_2217.jpg[/IMG]
    atemoya or cherimoya or custard apple ,, i dnt knw ,, its soo large with feww seeds ,,, and not soo much segments inside ,,
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/Amrkhalido/IMG_2216.jpg[/IMG]
    loquat ,,
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/Amrkhalido/IMG_2215.jpg[/IMG]
    carob tree ,, its the best ,, handsome and elegant tree ,
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/Amrkhalido/IMG_2208.jpg[/IMG]
    peach ,,, large and yellow inside ,, i think its called florida peach ,,
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/Amrkhalido/IMG_2205.jpg[/IMG]
    papaya ,, but the green variety ,, i dnt knw why no one in egypt plants the orange and sweet one ,, maybe due to the weather ,, i dnt knw ,,
    [IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/Amrkhalido/IMG_2203.jpg[/IMG]

i will post lots of pics as soon as i took them ,,,,
    Amr

• franktank232
    13 years ago

You need to use the {{gwi:1312657}}
    {{gwi:1312658}}
    {{gwi:1312659}}
    {{gwi:1312660}}
    {{gwi:1312661}}
    {{gwi:1312663}}
    {{gwi:1312665}}

• amrkhalido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thx a lot ,, i did suffered :D ,,

• newgen
    13 years ago

How do you anchor that shade bubble thingie to the ground, to prevent the wind from blowing it away? Every year, in southern California to Centrala California, we have what's called Santa Ana winds, a few of my wind & shade protection structures were blown over.

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

ng,

it's easy, take a look at the pictures; the structure is based on three poles (1,5 meters high) which have an 'L' shape. the 'feet' are 0,5 meter long, and are stabilized with weights. just weights on two feet are enough to stand strong winds ;-)

felipe

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

mangoperro,

my young mangos can stand the summer heat, but the grow/develop much faster with the protection. in one of my books i read that a very good point for plant propagation and culture is just to watch how nature works! most of the time, young trees grow under the shelter of bigger trees.

i got the inspiration for building my protections after i saw in a big orchad, how mango seedlings were growing like weeds under big trees, while the few little seedlings around were struggling.

my experience is that in my place new planted (young) trees grow 3 to 4 times faster with a protection from wind and too much sun/heat ;-)

felipe