Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the Trick To Getting Barbados Cherry to Set Fruit?

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 15:27

Like several of you, I have a Barbados cherry that I got from Mickey at Plant-o-gram as a freebie when I purchased another tree. Mine has lots of blossoms, but no fruit set. Anybody know how to get them to set fruit? I haven't tried hand pollinating, but I am wondering if maybe the problem is that they are not getting pollinated. Anybody know what their pollinator is? Any other tricks to know about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the Trick To Getting Barbados Cherry to Set Fruit?

I wish I could keep me neighbors 30 foot tree from fruiting, it smells like a dumpster at a produce stand! Maybe it has to do with size, the stuff grows wild here in Palm Beach, I have some at my job that has spread everywhere and its covered with tons of "pumpkins" from green to dark red. What do people do with the fruit?

o
Opps!

I thought you were talking about the Surinam Cherry, which if you live in FL 9a, you probably have at a neighbors too!

o

• Posted by boson Delray BeachFlori (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 21:08

Hi sun_worshiper,

Not that I am an expert by any means on this subject, but I can just tell you about my experience with fruiting for the first time for various species. When all these species flowered for the very first time for me no fruit was produced: apple, passion flower, Eugenia neonitida, cacao, and strawberry guava. I think I am forgetting some too. So it seems to me that some plants aren't fully developed to grow fruit at the first blooming. Perhaps same for Barbados cherry?

Tomas

Tomas

o

No problem with overproduction here - I'm in 9b, and they are marginal here. So it will remain as a small potted specimen. Even if it sets heavily, it is just a small bush=)

Thanks for the account of your experience Tomas. This is a new plant, so that could be the case. I got it last summer. It produced flowers last fall, with no fruit, and I thought it was probably because repotting had triggered an out of season bloom. But had hoped that this spring's flowering would set fruits. I'll keep watching it and see what happens. Even if there isn't fruit, the flowers are delicate and smell wonderful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here