Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Potted Pickering Mango Tree

puglvr1
14 years ago

I got this Mango tree for Valentine's Day. About 4 weeks later it started to bloom! I decided on Pickering after reading about it here (thanks to enablers...Harry,Swrancher, Jsvand, and others) for posting pictures and bringing it to my attention :o) Funny but this little tree seems to have more small fruits on it than my bigger inground Cogshall! I'm not going to let too many stay on the tree, but I want to wait to see which ones fall off on their own first and keep a couple of the largest ones. So far, I love this little tree!

{{gwi:1312700}}

{{gwi:1312701}}

Comments (35)

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

my Rosigold is the same way, by far the most fruit per pannicle that i ever witnessed. its actually recommended you thin the fruit even on full grown trees.

you have beautiful property by the way, i bet the pugs enjoy it.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Great looking tree pug. Hope it holds a lot of fruit for you.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hello Nancy,
    Beautifull little tree. At least this mango should give you a fruit or two. Good luck. That is a nice yard!
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Nancy:

Nifty little tree, huh? Someone knew a good Valentine's present for you. I've been very impressed with this tree over the two years or so that I have had it. I am glad I could enable your getting it.

Harry

• yaslan
    14 years ago

I am a very big fan of your potted mango trees! It does give me much encouragement. ( :

Bo

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Such nice looking tree. Looking at your potted mango just make me want to get one. :)

• swrancher
    14 years ago

Thats a very nice healthy looking tree, glad that I helped enable you into getting it :) My Pickering tree also seems to be holding on to a good amount of its fruit, can't wait to try some this summer.

My brother in law up in Orlando has lost a few Mango trees to cold nights over the years. He plants them in the ground when they get big and sooner or later, it gets cold...I'm planning on getting him a potted Pickering tree in a large pot so he can bring it in on cold nights.

Tony

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful healthy looking tree you have there puglvr. I can't believe it has so many fruit on such a small tree. Let us know how it tastes when they are ready and keep up the good job. Btw, thats a nice yard you have!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words...Much appreciated.

Without a doubt the best Valentine Day's gift I ever received,lol...better that jewelry by far!

"If" it holds the fruit I will certainly give a review on the taste. Somehow I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Mango Kush...here's Max "guarding" my Cogshall Mango tree shortly after I planted it a few years ago. I'm trying to teach him to chase the squirrels when they get too close to the tree,lol...

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Nancy:

Don't be surprised if most of the fruit turn yellow and fall off. This tree, at least at my house, seems to have a good feel for what it can carry. It will still fruit heavily (for its size) but most of what is there now will not hold.

Good boy, Max! Get those fluffy tailed varmints!

Harry

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry, I figured as much. I would actually be thrilled if one or two make it to maturity. I just want to taste one!. This happened to my potted Glenn the first time it bloomed/fruited...they all eventually fell off, not one single one survived. We'll see what happens.

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

That is a happy tree! I hope you get some fruit!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bluepalm! No one is wishing more than I :o)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy,

How's your container-grown Pickering Mango? It does indeed look very happy! I'd love to see more pis of your mango and pug too. He must be very helpful at keeping the squirrels at bay.

Bo

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Nancy, whatever was the results of the fruit production and quality of the potted pickering??

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Marinfla...I got three very small fruits...although they weren't "pretty" on the outside...it only got slightly more yellow from this picture...the taste was outstanding!Very good! I'm very happy with this variety. I've since "pugged" my tree, so it will stay compact in size...I'm getting some new growths now. Thanks for asking!

This picture actually makes the fruit larger than it is. it was really pretty small, but hoping when the tree gets larger/mature it will give a little larger mangoes?
    {{gwi:1312703}}

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

How much did you prune it? It seemed like it was already pretty compact in your pic.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi John, I cut it pretty short, it's not compact enough for me,lol...it looked to me like it would be too tall for the pot once the new growths started. You know me...I like my trees short and wide :o) I'll post pictures in a few weeks once the new growths starts hardening off.

• jun_
    13 years ago

awesome tree! thanks for updating.

btw, would you mind advising us how do you prune your mango trees, do you cut off the tip flush with the major branches? do you also trim off the old leaves?

how wide is that pot?

it seems you have quite a few potted trees, do you handwater your potted mangoes or an automatic system?

sorry i sound like a three year old with endless questions, but your mangoes are inspiring me to have a backyard potted orchard of my own.

June

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi June, Thanks so much! I really don't have a pruning technique, I just start cutting when I see a branch that's growing too tall for me,lol...I do trim mostly on the hardened off(older) branches...For me, its a matter of preference. I know many people that don't trim their mango trees at all...and they grow just fine...but I prefer my fruit trees shorter and wide as opposed to tall and lanky...I favor the horizontal growths over the vertical ones.

I don't mind the questions and always happy to help if I can...gosh knows I still have a lot to learn myself. I hand water all my potted trees except when I'm lucky enough to get rain. I feel that my Sprinklers don't really provide them with the deep watering they need. I let mine almost dry out before I water them well again.
    Here's my potted Glenn taken several weeks ago...most all the new growths have hardened off now..This one is in a 24"(wide) pot. The pickering above is in a 22" (wide) pot.
    {{gwi:596981}}

I posted a link below that I found on the web...it has helped me with my pruning, great pictures on where you're suppose to trim for better results...hopefully it will help you as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Mango...

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Those are absolutely beautiful trees puglvr1. I also prefer the shorter wider trees as opposed to the taller lanky trees. I just ordered a bunch of mango trees from Plantogram and hope I can get my trees to look like yours. I'm so nervous about chopping their tops off though.

I'm glad you were able to taste your own home grown Pickering Mango. Did you happen to take any pics of the inside of the fruit? I'm hearing nothing but good things about Pickering Mango. Keep us updated on the progress of all your beautiful trees!
    Simon

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Simon! I thought I took a picture of it...but I guess not, sorry. The color inside if memory serves is light yellow? Like I said, it wasn't one the prettiest looking mango but it sure made up for it in taste!

• jun_
    13 years ago

thanks for the article, I know now to trim underneath a "ring of buds". I also need to buy bigger pots, I thought 18" would do it. your pictures make the pots seem smaller than they are.
    That Glenn looks great!

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear the good report on this type. I just got one this summer, along with a Nam Doc Mai, and am expecting great things to come. Nice trees as always Puglvr.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks NTM!! I really think you will be happy with Pickering!

• S_lane1550_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi pug. U always have the nicest looking trees!! I know this is an old post but do u root prune ur potted Glenn?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sean! I've been pretty lucky...I've NOT have to root prune my Potted Glenn yet. I just repotted it almost a week ago to a larger pot, hopefully I won't have to root prune for at least 2-3 years? We'll see...

• gaberec
    10 years ago

Hello
    I'm italian and I want to buy some varieties of mango ... dwarf like pickering okrung nam doc mai cugshell

someone say where is possible to buy them ?

thanks

• jalilu
    10 years ago

Hi Gaberec,

You should contact frutalestropicales in Malaga, Spain or Canarius in the Canary Islands. They sell some of the "dwarf" varieties such as Nam Doc Mai, Keitt, Glenn and Maha Chanook. Anyway, don't expect much growth in the Mediterranean countries even if you buy large trees varieties.

I'm also looking for Pickering, Angie or Rosigold but I believe we'll have to go to Florida to get them!

• Valar
    10 years ago

Hi, I live in UK but have a small property in Jamaica and would like to get a Pickering and or Nam Doc Mai for my garden in Jamaica, How can I do this? Does anyone know of any suppliers in Jamaica? I was there recently and East Indian and Julie seem to be all thats available, any ideas... thanks

• tucsonken
    8 years ago

Just found this thread and thought I would bump it. How is the potted Pickering? Good yields? I've been wanting a potted mango for Tucson and the Pickering looks like the best bet. Unfortunately, Pine Island can't ship to AZ, so I need another option.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That particular potted PIckering has died (root rot)...I have replaced it and decided to plant this one in ground...its 3 years old now but didn't fruit due to a hard freeze and a very late pruning I did on the tree...next year I'm hoping will be better...here's the Pickering now

and here's my Potted Glenn mango, this one has about 12-15 fruits right now...

• tucsonken
    8 years ago

Thanks for responding. Any idea what caused the root rot? If I remember from other posts, I think you were using the gritty mix, which I would have thought would be as good as it gets for root health. Anything you would do differently, if trying another one in a container? Any preference between the Pickering and Glenn? I called the Pine Island folks and they leaned heavily toward the Pickering as a container plant, but Glenn was my next choice based on their variety ratings.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That particular tree I didn't use the 'gritty mix'...I cheated because I found the tree sooner than expected and I didn't have all the ingredients to make it in time...that summer we had an 'above normal' rainfall if memory serves I think we received over 20" of rain in less than 30 days and the pot stayed wet and never dried out...with a potting mix that apparently didn't drain well...it was inevitable.

IMHO...I would choose Pickering especially for containers...I love Pickering! I also like Glenn a lot but Pickering is a very good choice for container and is a great and heavy producer...I think you will be happy with a Pickering. Good luck!!

• tucsonken
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info--and my condolences on the untimely demise of your potted Pickering. That definitely sounds like the variety for me, but I'll first ensure I have an ideal growing medium for it--although soggy soil is rarely a problem for my plants in Tucson!