Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

Late Season Cherimoya

ch3rri
13 years ago

I got my cherimoya and white sapote today. I only got 3 varieties when I asked for White, Salma, and Lucida also. They only gave me the Bays, Fino, and Pierce. As you notice, the skin for the Bays and Fino is different than the one I got last week. The shape for the fruit is also different than last week. Last week fino were round and Bays were more cone shape. But this week Fino are cone shape and Bays are round. The Fino is also lighter green than last week. I think as we get hotter sun there will be more sunburn on the cherimoya. So if you want to get your order then get them soon or the rest of the weeks might not be as big. I also notice that they have no more white sapote.

Comments (25)

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Nice pics ch3rri! I'm craving cherimoyas again and will probably stop by the local asian market to pick up some expensive Dr. White. They probably ran out of the earlier season cherimoyas and sent you a variety of what they had left.

I have yet to taste a white sapote as good as one that comes directly off the tree. They do ripen very well off hte tree but when they stay on the tree untill they get a light yellow color and you just barely touch the fruit and it comes off the tree, that is the best. Not all white sapotes will get the yellow tinge and the white sapotes also differ drastically in taste. You never realy get the super ripe white sapotes because they become super super super soft to the point where they become mush when you pick them up but they are super sweet and well flavored when they are this ripe.

There are some white sapote, don't know the variety, that are super buttery in texture. I consider these buttery ones the best tasting. I hate the ones that taste like mushy pear. Let us know how these late season cherimoyas taste compared to the same varieties you recieved earlier.
    Simon

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    Hmmm, I placed my order today. Did you talk to Dario?? I emailed him to find out what varieties were still available. I also asked him if they were out of sample cherimoyas and he said no. He told me that they had Lucida and the others I asked for booth, Fino, and pierce. He told me that they only have a few selma trees and they don't ever have a lot of the fruit. I should get my fruit Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait and I get my fruit on Monday or Tuesday.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I emailed Dario a couple times but he never reply to my emails. I'm now wondering if he is ignoring me or not. He wrote down the varieties that I wanted but somehow the people who packed the cherimoya only gave me the Bays, Fino, and Pierce.

I just ordered 10 lbs for next week...hehehe. I have to get some for my sister since we will probably finish these before she come back. :)

I can't wait until my cherimoya ripe.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    You must be cherimoya crazy by now! Don't feel bad. I have had some emails go without being answered. I did ask about the fruit being smaller. I figured by now they might be but he told me they were still the same size. I can't wait for this order to get here! I am still craving them and I will have my tree next week also!

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Everyone has been posting nothing but positively glowing reviews. I can't wait til these ripen!

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mmmm....mine just ripen so I'm going to eat them today. I timed it and it seems like they are ready to eat 3 days after we receive them. Some of them might ripe on the second day. So check them if you don't want them to over ripe.

I ate my Pierce yesterday and it was good. It was pure sweet with some graininess and tart. I would say it's still good but not as good as the Fino, Bays, or Lucida. The color of the inside is cream color just like the Fino.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I just tried my first bay and I was pleasantly surprised with the texture and flavor. I thought it might be like the paw paw but it wasn't, thank goodness! It was sweet, with a mild hint of tartness and a little bit acidic but I loved it! It also had a rose kind of flavor too and silky texture. In any case, it was a very good experience and nice mixture of taste, texture and flavor! And since I was so disappointed with the store-bought cherimoya, thank goodness I finally got to taste a good one! My mother is just gonna love this bay. I'm very glad I ordered them from Dario and might even have to order some more. ( :
    Bo

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great to hear that you like them too. So far everyone that ordered like them. I ordered 4 boxes. They should be here sometime this week.

Enjoy them while they still have them for this season. I'm spending too much money but we are happy eating them....Yummmmmm

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I just had the fino and it was finotastic! I absolutely loved it and put in and order for another box! I have the pierce left and am very excited to try that as well. Though, I don't know if that will top the fino... Wow, I am really, really surprised at how fantastically delicious the fino is! I ate it so fast, I can't even describe it to you, except that it was surprisingly good and spectacularly flavorful!
    Bo

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of the Pierce cherimoya. It is very sweet too but still not as good compared to the other varieties. The color of the inside is cream same as the Fino. The Pierce is actually very seedy too.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

My pierce was very seedy and sweet too but I love the fino! I can't wait for my box of cherimoyas to arrive tomorrow@! I am definitely hooked on this fruit. It's easily in my top three!
    Bo

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hahahaha...I ordered 4 baskets and they will be here tomorrow too. I'm not tired of them yet. I just ate half a fino earlier. It was so sweet and juicy. I think the longer you let it ripe the less chewy it is. I like it when it just ripen. I think 2-3 days after receiving the fruits is the best time to eat them. I do not like them as much when they're on the 5th day.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

My 10 pound box arrived today and I was very dissapointed. I had Dario confirm that they still had the Finos and I told him that I wanted five pounds of the finos and 5 pounds of some other varieties I had not tried yet. Well, I got 6 pierce, 2 lucida, and 1 bay. No Fino de Jete's I am not happy but the fruits are huge!! Too bad I didn't like the pierce. Now I have 6 of them. GRRR!
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh that is very disappointing. Maybe they are out of the Fino or he forgot to tell the packing department. I never really get what I asked for either. He told me before that this is just recent that everyone ask for certain variety or label. I hope I get some Fino. I really want an equal variety. It is the end of the season and this will be my last order. Will have to wait for next year for better cherimoya.

I notice that some of the fruits have more sunburn, which is not good to eat.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    I have to tell ya, my cherimoyas are huge! I only got 9 but as far as size goes, I can't complain. As far as the varieties go, yes, very dissapointed but Kristi, my fruits are dark green and glossy. Not one of them is yellow or sunburnt. I don't understand what happened either. I emailed him before I placed my order and my order was placed maybe 45 minutes after he confirmed that he had the Fino's. I have yet to have a response but it is still early in California. I will keep you posted as to what happens. I am dissapointed. I really was craving the Fino de Jetes and now I got 6 Pierce of which I am not to crazy about!
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You got 9 fruits? I always just get 8. The Pierce is a darker green compared to the other varieties. The Pierce is very sweet too...just not as juicy as the Fino. But I think if you wait until it's totally ripe then maybe it'll be similar? But then if the cherimoya is too soft then it's not as great. I think you will like the Lucida. It have great flavor and a good balance of acidity and sweet. I hope I'll get some of each.

• tammysf
    13 years ago

Andrew i found if it is not my favorite variety to eat them wen just ripe not overripe and they are great. I cant wait to try lucida as i heard they are good. I love fino the most but the season may be over for fino.

I ordered 10 lbs on tuesday and will give most away

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Kristi,
    All my fruits are the same shade of green and HUGE!! Bigger than my last order. I really don't like the cherimoyas when they are just getting soft. I like them best when you push on the skin and it is very soft. I tried my pierce with my last order just soft like you and Tammy are saying and that is not for me.
    Tammy,
    How are you doing? Thanks for hookin me up with Roger Meyer! I got VERY lucky. I got the Fino de Jete and I know other people were trying to get one and he was all ready out! It is a nice tree with a lot of buds and Ajay told me it should flower and fruit all ready! I never knew cherimoya could fruit when so small. As far as the Finos with Dario go, he told me when I ordered that he had the Finos so I don't know if it was a mix up or what but I was EXTREMELY dissapointed! I would have never got 10 pounds of fruit if I knew I wasn't going to get any Finos. I ended up with 6 pierce, a bay and 2 Lucidas. I asked for lucida, bay and a pierce but only one pierce as I didn't like it the first time I tried it. I just hope they taste better this time around. When you ordered from calimoya did you ask if they had the Finos? Maybe I will try them. I really don't have the extra $$ right now. I got the tree, the fruit and I got 4 plumeria cuttings plus 2 pineapple tops from the aloha plumeria group. I spent my extra cash! LOL!
    Andrew

• tammysf
    13 years ago

I am not sure if calimoya has finos. I only got them from dario. U should let dario know you are unhappy. It was probably a mix up as i think he is in process of moving

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My 20lbs of cherimoyas are here today. I got a variety of dr. white, lucida and fino. However, 2 of my finos are smashed and somewhat rotten. I'm disappointed too! I just emailed Dario and will see what's he going to do with that two smashed/rotten fino.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Andrew, I know how disappointed you are to not have gotten any finos. I hope you get some kind of resolution from Dario.

Kristy, that's a lot of cherimoyas. They will go fast because I know how fantastically delcious they are! Your family and friends are very lucky. ( :
    I got my order today as well. There were 3 finos and 2 lucindas. I've never tasted the lucinda, so I am excited to try that one.

Once they are out of season, I will surely miss these delicious fruits! I even like them better than lychee and longans. I never thought I'd say that, nor did I want to try any cherimoyas. It wasn't until everyone here was raving about how unbelievably good they were that I had to get my hands on a few. And now, I cannot get enough!

Bo

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I still have not heard from Dario but I will keep emailing him until I do. I may even call tomorrow. My cherimoyas were even dirty which I know isn't a big deal but my first order was so nice! Now hearing that Kristi got some Finos makes me even more angry! Kristi when did you place that order for your 20 pounds? I was wondering. Does anyone know if you can prolong the ripening process? Knowing that Dario probobly wont send me any Finos makes me really sad. I had been craving them for so long. I am looking forward to trying the bay and lucida though. Tammy, has your cherimoyas bloomed at all? I have to say that I really like this little tree. The you tube link that I think Ajay gave me was very interesting. I could not believe how much growth these trees put out in one year! The guy who did the demo was from papaya nursery and he pruned that cherimoya down to the crown of the tree(or the base I guess you would call it.) and he said that this was an annual practice. Knowing this I think will make it easier to grow in a large tub. I didn't start in a big pot though. Tammy, how long did you wait to start fertilizing your fino? I only gave it some vitamin B-1 because it is good for trnaplant shock. I am really ttring to give this tree the best care possible. I really need to work on a my log. I have not touched it in a very long time. I was thinking it would be a good way to keep notes on my trees progress.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I placed the order on 4/30 and another one on 5/3. One of them I requested for 5 fino, but the total fino he gave me for the 10lbs were only 4. But then 2 of them were smashed and rotten, so not good to eat.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Okay very strange but one of my Pierce must have been ripe and I missed it. Anyways, 80% of it was soft so I cut it open and not juicy at all. I did think it was sweet but not like the fino. Flesh closest to skin was sweeter. I didn't think it was too seedy but overall still not my favorite cherimoya. That was the second Pierce I have had. I bought the Fino de Jete from Roger before I had a chance to have a nice ripe Pierce and I was concerned that maybe I would have a better one and like it more than my fino but nope!! So far Fino is my #1 cherimoya variety. I wonder if they will continue labelling the varieties on the fruit when people complain(Like me!) that they don't get what they asked for. Well I have Lucida and Bay in brown paper bag. Hopefully they will be ripe by Monday. I will let you guys know what I thought.
    Kristi,
    I put my order in on 4/30 also and that was when Dario told me thay had Finos in stock. I hope he answers my emails tomorrow!
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andrew- Dario refunded me $12.49 for my two large Fino. What a waste...the fruits were so big too. I just checked them again and another Fino already totally ripe. It was so soft. He told me it must be the hot weather that cause my cherimoya to ripe so fast. But then all my others are in good condition with just a couple ripening soon. Oh well, this is what we get for on sale cherimoya at the end of the season. I think this is it for me now. I'll eat other fruits like longan, jackfruit, dragon fruit, and sapodilla when there is no more cherimoya....lol

I think it was extra that they labeled the fruits for us. I think they didn't label them before just to prevent someone like us complaining to him that we didn't get what we asked for...hehehhe. I think at the beginning of the season they will give us what we ask for. So you might have to wait until next year.

Sponsored