Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

Central CA update (lots of pics from the yard) 4/11

red_sea_me
13 years ago

I dont get around to posting pics that often so please excuse the # of them. Here are some pics from around my yard, Harry, please try not to be jealous.

Borage, if you want to attract bees or lady bugs plant this stuff, plus it is edible.

Surinam cherries

Mc Beth loquat

goumi

aloe

recently grafted, either Redlands or BS white sapote

lots of little Vernon white sapote fruit

Mauritus lychee

Biew Kiew longan

Green sapote, notice the growth difference, it was planting earlier this spring from a much shadier spot.

A couple of my babies from PR (not the redheaded ones), Juan's pulasan and a rambutan, the far right is a Dang Rasimi jak from a kind FL. fellow.

Everything is labeled except the two in the back, center is marang and to the right is eugenia subterminalis.

epiphyllum and apporocactus buds

a few seedlings and cuttings

Front view

Backside with a few plants in the pic

even up against the fence

either petch pachong or nuathong atemoya

big reddish custard apple, with bloom.

since Anthony Bourdain mentioned it, toothache plant. Kind of fun to eat to eat the dried flowers, I want to try making the soup where they used the leaves.

Hak Ip

Emperor

spondias dulcis

blueberries with Lancetilla blooms

Valencia Pride

Chironja graft, a natural orange/grapefruit hybrid

lastly Salaks, from L to right S. affinis, S. zalacca and S. wallichiana

hope you enjoyed,

-Ethan

Comments (33)

• pikorazi
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i sure enjoyed! very cool plants and yard!

do you have enough room to plant all your potted plants?

is there a special reason why most of the pots are white? i thought before, that white pots could avoid overheating and drying out of the soils, meaning less watering and stress for the plants..

is your green zapote grafted?

where did you get your imbe from?

regards,

felipe

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Ethan,

Great pictures! I especially love the Borage and Valencia Pride blooming. I need to plant some Borage in my raised bed gardens. How do the Salaks do outside? BTW Ethan, I sent out the package today.

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Ethan
    What a jungle that is! It's a miniature(slightly) plant station the way you've got all those different species in pots lined in such neat rows. You and Harry are bursting at the seems with such lush tropicals. Need to move.....

:)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

LOL.....at the rate you are going you will have more stuff than me very shortly. Is that graft of the white sapote from material I sent you a very short time ago??

Harry

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    Felipe,
    many of my plants will stay potted, my climate is a little too cold for some of them. Others will get traded away or given to friends with lots of room to plant (in exchange for fruit later). Most of my pots are black, the ones you see in the pic are 1 gal white grow bags picked up off the internet or 16 oz. styrofoam cups used to start seeds or cuttings. It does help to have pots painted white, esp. in my climate, during summer we get 100F+ for many days. The green sapote is a seedling, one of two from a very kind gent that I trade with, the imbe is a seedling too. The seeds of both originally came from fruitlovers in HI.

NZ, borage is a beautiful weed, once you have it you will always have it. The salaks came into the house this past winter, next winter they'll be in the GH. I plan to keep them potted and in the GH. Thanks for sending out the package, I boxed up yours and a few others to drop off in the morn.

Thank you Tropicaliste, I need them all lined up to fit them plus when I add the drip line it will make it easier to reach with water. You dont need to move, just build a big GH. :)

Harry, I may very well already have more trees than you. I'll bet I have more jak fruit "trees" than you do.......just dont ask how much fruit I get. One of any of your trees would produce more fruit than my entire collection. But someday! I miss labeled the pic of the white sapote, it was Homestead or BS sent from another FL. friend. The Redlands from you has buds pushing through the grafting tape right now though.

I also forgot to post a pic of my Graham mango flowering.

cheers,
    -Ethan

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Ethan,

Borage sounds like it would fit in nicely into my free growing bed. I have wild dandelion growing, lemon balm, and chamomile that are naturalized atm.

Will look out for your package, thank you for the kind offer.

-Stephen

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Damn Ethan!

You been holding out on us LOL your trees look great! as you know, my thing is mangos, how long have you had your lancetilla and VP on the ground and when will your mangos ripen?? I am with nullzero, I got to get me some of that BorageLOL where did you buy yours?

JF

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

Great pics! Quite a collection you have there Ethan. I like the Aloe blooms...we have a ton of them around the house but they never bloom at all. The Emperor lychee is looking good too.

• nullzero
    13 years ago

jfernandez,

You can buy some Borage seeds from Baker Creek heirloom seeds, and other herb seed places on the internet. I highly recommend Baker Creek for vegetable and herb seeds though.

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Ethan
    Extremely impressive!!! Nothing more needs to be said about that!
    What cultivar of lychee do you recommend if I only have room for one?? And what are your thoughts on putting a lychee and a longan in the same hole?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...love the shade structure, the healthy mango trees - let me guess - about 2 years old???

And when does your fruit ripen?

thanks for the pics.....

regards - the "dog"

• fruit_guy
    13 years ago

Very nice collection Ethan! Truly inspirational!

Warren

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Wow - that's an impressive collection! Thanks for sharing!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome Pictures Ethan...love them all but always my favorites are the Mangoes and Lychees,lol...Thanks for the great pictures. Everything looks nice and healthy and best of all growing well!

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all,

NZ, borage might take over and smother you free growing bed?

JF, you can get borage seeds at HD or lowes in packs but if you want, email me I should have plenty. The mangoes both came from Top about 4 years ago, VP has been in the ground since, Lancetilla has remained in pots and already had it's roots pruned once. After blooming this year I'll trim it's roots and repot it again. Unfortunately neither of them has held fruit to maturity, Lancetilla has come closest. Oddly, my tiny Graham held a fruit last year, harvested in Aug? and tasted great.

NTM, my other love is cacti and succulents so this time of year it is very colorful around here. My aloe vera just finished blooming with red flowers. If I could get my lychees to perform as well as yours I'd be doing the happy dance.

Marinfla, thank you. As for which lychee to plant, that is a question that could best be answered by Harry. He has so much experience with so many varieties in your climate that I would defer to him. From the little I know, I would say Kaimana, it seems to do well in CA, FL and HI and supposedly taste wonderful. Maybe you could convince Harry to go by and taste test for yourself? Lychee and longan in the same hole? No idea but anything is possible, why not be the first?

Thanks MD, the shade structure is also a grape and now passion fruit arbor so it performs double duty. Mango trees are about four years in my possession and fruits should ripen in Aug/Sept once they really start producing.

Thank you Warren, my collection is missing one thing to be truly inspirational to you.......durian.

Thanks SW and Pugs, us zone 9ers got to stick together. :)

A few I forgot

Graham

Kaimana lychee with flies and bees

• newgen
    13 years ago

Awesome Ethan! Are you gonna put up a nursery sign out front anytime soon? Great job with the arrangement of all the pots in racks.

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Ethan,

Nice new pictures. I was going to ask you, do the lychees produce decent crops? I have been reluctant to add a Lychee tree, because I heard mixed success with fruiting in CA.

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Newgen,
    I'm probably going to have a plant sale this year to raise $ to buy more plants. :)

NZ,
    I know of fruiting lychees in CA though most of them are in Southern CA. If I'm lucky, I might be the first in my area to fruit a lychee. I believe Newgen had fruit on his longan last year but the birds might have gotten them?

• eyeckr
    13 years ago

Hey Ethan thanks for posting the pictures. What a production you've got going there! Everything is so neat and tidy and the plants look so happy! If I were a plant I would like to live in your backyard. Is your goumi a seedling? I've got sweet scarlet which actually tastes pretty good. I can't remember if I ever sent you a scion for grafting. Your borage looks pretty cool too. I may have to add some as a companion plant around my tomatoes this year.

g

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you G, as you know, it is a fun hobby/habit to have. I'm glad to hear the Sweet Scarlet tastes good because that is what I have too, mine came from Burnt Ridge. The jujubes look like they are budding, thanks again.

"Everything is so neat and tidy" lol, it must just be the angle of the photo.

-Ethan

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Ethan,

My California Brother....seems as though you have been holding out for some time now with that pretty awesome collection you got there. I am really impressed to see how well you are doing, especially in that crazy hot, dry weather you have. Your Lychees are blooming like frigging Crazy, how exciting! They look so awesome. Thanks for sharing. Let me know what you are looking to sell and there is a good chance that I will take some things off of your hands and add to your new plant fund.

Jacob

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting this! It gives me hope that maybe I can grow some of these plants in my desert climate too. Everything looks great.

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the kind comments.

Jacob, we'll see how the lychees produce, hopefully I continue to be so lucky.

A/M, the biggest problem I have is dead summer when it is 100F+ and low humidity, a little shade cloth helps at that time. Good luck, almost anything is possible if you try hard enough (still working on durian plants).

-Ethan

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Ethan,

Was wondering if you use misters or water dishes around the area to increase humidity? I was thinking of using micro misters on timers myself.

Can't wait till the next picture update, especially when the lychees start developing.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

nice pics ethan. the juan pulsan you have- is that a seedling from the incredible blackcurrant pulsan i couldnt shut up about?
    and not to in anyway diminish the glory of your collection, but i cant believe how slowly the PR seedlings are growing, even in the gorgeous CA weather

• charleslou23
    13 years ago

ethan, are your lychees in the ground or potted?

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

NZ, no dishes of water (West Nile virus) but I do occasionally wash down the plants or the cement floor under the arbor. Plus there are grape and passion fruit vines above it and grass in front of it, not to mention lots of plants. I do have plans for drip lines and probably micro misters for early morning or evening (no direct sun).

Yes LL, they are from Juan's pulasan tree, I try to pretend I dont care about them, so they wont die. It would be a complete miracle if I can get them to fruit and even more outrageous if they taste as good as Juan's. Some of the PR seedlings are growing pretty well, plants in the photos are in 5gal pots. Even the mangosteen are growing moderately well, the slowest growers.........herrania umbricata and kwai muk.

Charleslou, all of the lychees except the Mauritus are in pots.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hey Ethan,

Did you get my recent e-mail?

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes, sent you a reply

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Man its amazing how your trees are doing ,, plus the number of pots u have ,, i think later u will have a jungle ,, :D

And how are you doing with jackfruits and lychee and longan ?

As your weather is much the same as mine , with little humidity with dry hot weather ,, although i got no frost in the winter ,,

And which lychee varieties are doing better than others ,,

Amr

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Ethan,

I have to agree with everyone that your yard and Fruit trees and plants look Great! Any updates or new pictures on how your plants are doing since you last posted these pictures a few months ago?

- Jacob

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

You got the touch with Mangoes. Those might be the best Mangos in the Central Valley. Any interest in banana's? My one best shot-Goldfinger- were part of the year of death by gopher. Bismarkia palm and Ficu auriculata all gone in a few short weeks-and more.
    I still got those dwarf Euphorbs..and they flower too. And two dragonfruits..

• mango908
    12 years ago

Beautiful garden.How do you keep the pests away and your lychee and mango tree so green and healthy? Thanks for the inspiring pictures.