Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Black Sapote (Chocolate Pudding Fruit)

bananafan
9 years ago

I'm always curious about eating this fruit. Finally I bought two to try. I know I lot of people just eat it straight, but I had to be more complicated .. lol. This is how I prepared and ate it for the first time.

#1 -- I just learned that the Black Sapote is actually a persimmon. I always thought it was more closely related to the spapodilla.

http://www.thefruitpages.com/chocolatefruit.shtml

Comments (8)

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also did not know that it is an evergreen tree that can reach the height of 25 ft height. I got this picture from the browsing the net.
    This should be a good news for me as I've always preferred trees that keep their leaves :) So, I've finally transplanted one from the pot which is 6 ft tall to the ground. It's now sitting on an elevated tree island where it gets sun the whole day long. I'll post a picture soon.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is when things get complicated .. lol. I got all this whole host of ingredients to add them to the blender to create the texture of the real chocolate pudding ..

Ingredients used: almond-coconut milk, coconut flour, konjac powder, pectin, pink sea salt brine, coconut oil and stevia extract to sweeten it to a dessert level sweetness.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The texture turned out to be rather smooth ... the coconut oil helps. The color appears similar to a triple chocolate pudding.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ta-dah! The chocolate pudding fruit dessert! The whole family ate it and thought it was delicious. I liked it myself too. My final thought to this dish fo dessert .. It does taste a little different from your regular chocolate pudding. It leaves the taste of a fruity persimmon after taste ... something different for the palate to experience.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's definitely a plant worth having in the landscape. If you have a mature plant to share, would love to hear from you and how you eat the fruit.

This my newly planted Black Sapote tree. It's 5ft and not 6ft as I've thought originally. In the pot, it looked a lot taller. Last year, it flowered, but no fruit. Will see what it does this year after planting. I'll update on it later.

• AmberBrook
    9 years ago

That's really cool! I've always wanted to taste black sapote too. Where did you find the fruit to try? I had no idea they were related to persimmon.

-Amber

• soaht
    9 years ago

Yes, they are in the persimmon family, but a tropical one that is. Reason for evergreen, so it's doesn't go dormant like a regular persimmon does.

Chocolate spaote, but has no chocolate taste at all, though can be used for baking in anything chocolate related with added cocoa powder for the chocolate taste or just baking for a black chocolate color like look.

When that tree fruits for you, you will have more than enough to share with your whole neighbor and don't park any valuable cars/ trailers, etc under neath, it will be like large black bird poop splatter all over under neath or on anything underneath. Unless you're a lover of the fruits, then you're problem might be a bit less, since it can be very prolific once mature and even then you can not eat all the fruits;)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm