Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Nam Doc Mai... Time for 'tipping'?

Man-Go-Bananas
12 years ago

Is it time to "tip" my NDM? The terminal bud has done nothing for months now.

Comments (17)

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Absolutely. If it has a single stalk like it looks to have, nip that little bud off now. When the plant starts to grow you'll get a nice spread of shoots....

Although, the more critical question might be why no activity with this plant by the first week in April?
    You're giving it enough water, yes....or conversely, not overwatering????

It should be doing something by now....

Big Dog

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks MangoDog! That bud started back in December. Over the winter it did nothing (probably because the pot was too small), so I planted it in the ground three weeks ago and it has been doing well since. I have been watering it quite often (3-ish times a week/every 2 or 3 days). Is that too much? The tree was just recently in a 7 gallon pot.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I agree with mangodog...If it were my tree I would also tip it now to let it grow several branches. Although, 3 weeks just planted in the ground isn't that long without any new growths, but that bud "might" have been a bloom spike. Either way its way too small to let it fruit anyways...so might as well tip it now and let it grow for the rest of the year before winter gets here.

I'm guessing its pretty hot now in Texas, like its been in FL? So 2 to 3 times a week watering in this dry heat should be fine. Just keep an eye on it...you want to make sure the roots don't dry out but you don't want to drown the roots either,lol...Especially if its been windy, it will dry out much quicker. I can't tell if you have mulch around the base of the tree or not...just keep the mulch a few inches from the trunk. That will help retain the moisture a little better. Good luck!

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks pug! It has been pretty hot here, got to about 90 today. Thanks and good luck to you too.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Yes, MGB - your watering schedule sounds fine - if the plant looks wilty, you'll know it's not enough. Water deeply and less often is the key...though NOT IN WINTER...but you probably know that...

And I want to take back what I said about my Nam Doc Mai's growth....you were right....it is the only one that has not done a single thing for 4-5 months!!!!!!! But I think the buds are starting to swell a bit - we hit 90+ today and will again tomorrow....absolutely every other mango is flowering like crazy....

good luck Houston!

mangoD

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again mangodog!

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

looks about the right height to top it. it does look healthy. probably a little transplanting shock.

which part of houston? i'm out in katy. i've got mine in 15g pots. after last winter's freezes, i've decided not to plant mine in ground. this winter was fine, i kept them outside, but under the porch area.

here's pics from last week:

Lancetilla

Glenn, NDM

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice Trees! I'm in Kingwood. I was not going to plant them at first, but I can protect them if needed. My Glenn is in a 15 gallon pot and has a flower bud, and my Pickering is in a 7 gallon currently (inside a 15 gallon) and has 4 flower buds with many baby mangoes. Also, my other NDM (smaller) has lots of little new growth about to come out of the top.

Pickering

Baby Mangoes on Pickering

NDM 1 After tipping

NDM 2

Look closely... NDM 2 growth

Glenn

Flowers on Glenn

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

very nice, are you gonna let a few of the fruits mature?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I will let at least two mature. They have gotten even bigger since these pictures.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Nice Trees you guys!! Good luck with them. Let us know when they mature. Personally, I can't wait to taste some home grown mangoes this summer myself.

My inground Glenn and Keitt has some fruits for the very first time since I planted them 5 years ago...the "freeze" has damaged them severely every single year before this year. I'm pretty excited to finally see fruits this year and barring any problems hopefully I will get to taste a few...

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Nice Houston - as these mangos grow, guess your pots will just keep getting bigger - how large of a pot do you think you'll reach?

Mangowoofie

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

puglvr- Thanks!

mangodog- I will probably take them to 25 gallon... but not completely sure yet.

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

the 15gallon is a bit heavy, so not gonna go too much larger. i've got a back injury on my lower right side, i use a hand truck to move them in for the winter, then back out in the spring, but i still have to lift them a bit.

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

for you houston mango growers, how often you've been watering your potted trees?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I usually water mine whenever I think the soil starts to look dry (with our temperatures lately, this is usually every other day or every couple of days). I hope it helps.

MGB

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

the past few weeks, about once a week.

during last summers drought and 100' temps, i was watering every other day.