Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

my box of cherimoyas arrived

red_sea_me
13 years ago

A box full of cherimoyas, what a beautiful sight. I ordered Pierce and Lucida, cant wait for them to ripen.

I'll be interested to see how the rest of you like yours, please let us know.

-Ethan

Comments (63)

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Ok, here is the picture of the cherimoyas. I labeled them with numbers so we can identify them more easily. I arranged the one that look alike next to each other. Now lets see who can label these....lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherimoya Fruits

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lemons come free as packing.

Andrew let them ripen on the counter, your patience will be rewarded.

Kristi they should be labeled just very small lettering look near the stem.

JSVand, they are just fine, sometimes my sapotes will shrivel a little even before they are ready, dont rush them or they are inedible.

give them a couple days, lay them flat, dont stack in a pretty fruit bowl, keep your 3yr old from playing with them and have patience. When they give a little I slice them just barely through the skin all the way around, rip them in half and then quarters. Eat a little, spit out the seeds.

DO NOT eat the seeds or skin (or leaves), there are some studies about toxicity and Parkinson symptoms related to consumption of annonas. If you would like me to run tests on your fruit I'd be happy to.

-Ethan

• yaslan
    13 years ago

ch3rri, your cherimoyas looks so much better (and healthier too) than the one I got at the Asian store!

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I think the lemons are there so the fruits won't ship during shipping. Plus, they sell them too so they should be pretty cheap??? And people are always happy to get freebies...lol.

Ethan- I triple checked each individually and nothing written on them. Dario did say they got a lot of order this week so they might have forgotten.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Kristy:

Nice looking fruit....thanks for posting. If no one can ID them here on the forum, I'll bet that if you send Dario a copy of this picture he'll be able to ID them without any problem. Of course, since they may appear different on the inside, we are definitely going to have to have photos when you cut them open. Thanks again. I guess I'll get mine on Monday. Enjoy the fruits!

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    Harry tool the words right out of my mouth. I would email it to Dario. I will post pics of mine later on today, went out to lthe bars last night and now I need to sleep it off, LOL! I only got to varieties, Pierce and Fino de Jete so maybe that will help ID yours.
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Ok..every post your cherimoyas pictures so I can try to identify them. Since we got them on the same week I'm thinking at least we might get some of the same variety.

I shook them and heard noise from two of them. Does that mean they're ripe and ready to eat?

• tammysf
    13 years ago

Kristi. I just ate one and like them when they are soft like a mango or avocado. I dont like them too ripe as they get too sweet for me.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I emailed Dario and asked him to help identify the cherimoyas.

1. Bays
    2. Bays
    3. Fino de Jete
    4. Fino de Jete
    5. Fino de Jete
    6. Fino de Jete
    7. Fino de Jete
    8. Lucida

I was hoping to get some Peirce and other variety. But I guess Fino is supposed to be the best? Will have to try to find out. I really can't wait.

Why no one else post their pictures? I really want to see how your guys look like.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Harry I don't think you will get lemons. Mine came without them. I am assuming do to all of the citrus restrictions.

Ch3rri, If you order again just ask for all different types. I requested a selma and then told him to just pick a few varieties and I ended up with a good selection.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Okay Kristi here is are the 3 Fino de Jete cherimoyas. Hope this helps you.
    Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

And here are the pierce cherimoya.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Hahhahaha...thanks Andrew. But I really could not tell. It does look like my number 3,4,5,6. Somehow the Pierce look like the Fino too. I guess I'll just eat them and see if this is something I want to grow or not. But I think I will try to plant the seeds. I checked Tammy's blog and tried to compare too. But her Bay and fino look similar. And my Fino have a smoother skin.

Thanks for posting.

• tammysf
    13 years ago

Kristy. i love the fino. i hope u enjoy them. you can eaten when they just start to soften. we at two today.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    I wasn't trying to teaze you but I had a feeling after looking at your pics that it wasn't going to help you. I really don't think you are going to find out. Even if Dario sees them. I am just thankfull that they labled mine since I all ready sent a check to Roger. I just hope they can be ripe in another day or two. I also planted seeds about a week ago. Tammy sent them to me. I'll let you know how long germination takes.
    Tammy,
    I think I will take your advise with the first 2 fruit that I have in paper bags. In general, I like fruit that are well balanced between sweet and sour.
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Andrew, I kind of knew I wouldn't able to tell. But I really like looking at pictures and seeing how other fruits look like. I'm just bored since I can't order anything else for now...lol.

I really want to order some lychee this year. Hopefully lycheeonlines have them early May.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    Me too! I have never had a lychee fruit before but I also no of this chines grocery store in Buffalo and I was thinking of seeing if they will carry them but if not I want to order some. Are you sure there is nothing you can order now? LOL!
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

hahahha...yeah. I need to quit for now. My jujube is still trying to recover from shipping. My small gefner atemoya is still a stick. My morning room is packed with trees. And I got 6 sugar apple seedlings. Everything is growing bigger. So until I can give myself some excuse to buy, I think I'll just look at what I got now...lol. But I do want the Kaiman lychee. Plus, I've been busy traveling for work. And I'm thinking if I get to go to CA, then I might look for nursery there. I'm still hoping I can go to Florida again. I wish to go around August so I can get some atemoya and sugar apples.

• Eggo
    13 years ago

yummy and delicious looking pictures!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    That's when Iam going to try to go. That would be great if I could hit the season for those fruits. Finally, I am getting to try some more annonas. It's been 5 years since the last time I tried annona and that was the soursop and man that was a great fruit! Did you put your fruit in a paper bag? Even with that it seems like they are going to take forever!
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Okay, After that last message I went to check some of my cherimoyas and I noticed that the tops close to the stem are now getting soft. I still have to wait for the whole fruit to soften right? What a diffrence between these and the crappy one I got at the store. The store bought one didn't even ripen like these. The higher quality of these fruit really has me excited.
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I went to smell the fruits and they smell lemony. I can hear the seeds when I shook a few of them. Does this mean they are ready to eat too? Man, I really don't want an overripe fruit...lol. I'm thinking I will open one today.:)

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Hello everyone, I got my box of Cherimoyas from Calimoya on Thurs, I ordered on Tues. The packaging was excellent and they labeled all the fruit. I purchased 2 boxes and got their Chaffey, Booth, Selma, Dr. White and Hybrid. So far, I have tried their Hybrid and Selma.

The Hybrid is a large fruit with few seeds. It is extremely juicy with very smooth velvety flesh. The flesh is sweet but not overly sweet. This year, the fruit from this Hybrid did not taste as acidic as it was last year but it is still excellent fruit. The outside of the fruit has some slightly pointed bumps and the skin is yellowish green and the skin is extremely soft so you have to be careful not to eat the skin.

The Selma is a much smaller fruit and the skin is much darker than other cherimoya varieties. The flesh is fairly smooth and juicy, pretty sweet with good acidity and many seeds. The flesh is tan/red very near the skin and the flesh also tastes more acidic near the skin. There are many seeds and the seeds have a rough feel to them.

ch3rri, even if you hear the seeds rattling when you shake the fruit, it may not be ready to eat. When you hear the seeds rattle, that is an indication that the fruit was likely picked when it was fully mature but you still want to do the pressure test. When the fruit gives to slight pressure like a peach/mango/avocado, it is ready to eat. Many of the fruit will ripen near the same time so be prepared to refrigerate some of the fruit if you cannot eat the 10 lbs in a couple days:)

As a side note, I have noticed that the shape, size, taste and the outside appearance of Cherimoyas can vary drastically from fruit to fruit and from season to season. My R.I.P. Cherimoya tree produced fruit with very smooth skin and also very bumpy fruits on the same tree in the same season. It often produced super super excellent fruit but there were a couple years when the fruit was pretty bad, hard inside and didn't properly ripen for some reason.

I did take some pictures of my fruit and I'll try to post them soon.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I checked the Calimoya but it seem like their price is more expensive for 4 lbs fruit? It's like $30 for 4 lbs.

I'm not believing until I see pictures...lol

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Guys, I just got the email from Dario that their cherimoya and sapote is on sale. If I like these I think I will order again...hehehehe

Regularly $25 per box, our cherimoya will be priced at $18 per box for the remainder of our season, until about the end of May! Our white sapote will be priced at $15, regularly $20, although that season will end sooner than the cherimoya season.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Well that kind of pisses me off a little. I guess I should have waited a couple days to order.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Just got my box of cherimoyas. I assume mine would have come on Saturday as well, but since I had it shipped to my office, they held delivery until today. I guess I should feel lucky as I have a very good assortment. Along with the lemons I received one each of Fino de Jet, Bays, Pierre, White and Lucida. Each was marked with a pen, but you had to look carefully or you could miss the writing....the printing is small. My Fino came damaged slightly at one end and 3 of the fruits are just about ripe, I think. I'll try them tonight and report further. I took pictures, but my camera was doing something funky and not allowing me to download to my computer without reinstalling the camera software (which is at home). Stay tuned.

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Okay I got to open my Fino and I loved it! I waited to open the fruit umtil it was soft like a hass avocado when you open it. The top of the fruit was my favorite part. It was really sweet but also tart. I used a spoon and scraped the flesh like you would ice cream and it just rolled into the spoon. There were 16 seeds in one half but the flesh was so good! Not as sweet towards the bottom. As I said, I cut it in half length wise. I don't know how to describe the center except that it was a little stringy on the surface and I didn't like that tiny little bit of the flesh but the rest is excellent! Nice sweet flesh with a slight tartness. My other Fino is just as ripe but the last Fino I think I will cut sooner. I want to see if it will be less sweet and more tart.
    Tammy,
    Is it safe to cut it when you press on the fruit and it just gives slightly? I just wanted to cut one like you did and not have it as sweet.
    Kristi,
    Thanks for letting us no about the sale. I can't get angry though. I got the varieties I wanted and if I waited who knows if they would still have those varieties.
    Jsvand5,
    Did you get to try the green sapote fruit yet? I have never had it before. Maybe I will get one and try it. I just may get another box of the cherimoya. I really like this fruit. Now, I know I want a tree!
    Andrew

• tammysf
    13 years ago

Andrew. If the fruit give slightly and not rock hard you can eat. Flesh may not be as creamy but i still love them. I have a chaffey to eat but have to wait to share with husband.

Im also going to order more from cherimoya.comsinve they are having sale.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Andrew, My white sapotes are not ready yet. One has turned mostly yellow but I think it still has a couple days because it is pretty hard. Really though, I have no idea how to tell when they are ripe. Any help Harry?

I am going to try one of the cherimoya's tonight. I think it may be a little under ripe, but I have 9 of them so if one is not at it's best I still have plenty more to try. I figure I have to get going on eating them anyway so they won't get too over ripe by the time I eat them.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

John:

On white sapote, if it still feels hard, its not ready. I assume you are feeling some give in the cherimoyas that you received. The white sapote is very similar when it is ready to eat. It takes a little bit of trial and error to get it perfect. And there are always personal preferences as to how ripe you want the fruit to be before eating it. In all of these fruits, more ripe is better than underripe. So if you are going to make a mistake in judgment, make it to the ripe side.

Harry

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I tried a few of my cherimoya's today. So far I tried the white, Fino, and selma. I thought the white was pretty good. Pretty much just pure sweetness. The Fino had good taste that was very different from the White but the texture was grainy. It may have been a little under ripe so I don't know if it's fair to use that as a representation of the fino, but if they all have that texture it is not a type I would buy again. I thought the selma was VERY good. It did have a lot of seeds and the flesh seemed to cling to the seeds a bit. Out of the three, selma was by far my favorite. I still have Pierce, Bays, and Lucida to try.

• tammysf
    13 years ago

Jsvand

Funny you thought fino was grainy because mine were really smooth. To me selma was grainiest of all cherimoyas i have tasted. But it is very tasty.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Tammy,
    I am waiting on my Pierce but I LOVED the Fino. I thought it was smooth also. My favorite part was at the top of the fruit near the stem. That part was very sweet and a little tart. I still have 2 pierce and a fino to go. I can't wait for tomorrow!
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Mine may have just been eaten too early. My selma was very smooth and tasted totally different from the other two. I am looking forward to eating the pierce. That is supposed to be one of the best.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

From top left to the top right and then bottom left to right:

Fino de jet,Bays, Pierre
    White and Lucida

I tried the damaged Fino and Bays tonight. I thought both were excellent. They did have a slightly different texture and flavor. The biggest difference was the juiciness of Bays as compared to Fino. There was a tiny bit of stone cell graininess in both, but, very, very little. I would buy more of both.

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Harry,
    Tammy had said that the Bay had a slight licorice flavor. Did you notice that? I love the Fino but now that you talk about the slight graininess I agree but it was very little. Now, I am going to get 2 5 pound boxes and I think I will try Bay, Booth, and Lucida. Now one of my absolute favorite fruits.
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Andrew ask for a few selma as well. They are small, but I think you will be glad you did.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Jsvand,
    I knew there was one I was forgetting about. Hmm maybe a selma tree would be better since the fruit are smaller and would need less time to mature. Do you like them better than the Fino? Then again, i hear I am in for a treat when I cut the Pierce. So many cherimoyas and no greenhouse to grow them in! I wish I would have started ordering at the beginning of the season. I will next time around!
    Andrew

• tammysf
    13 years ago

I think selma are more finicky producers but i could be wrong. Axel from cloudforest grows a bunch of them. Ive tried many cherimoya last few months and to me white and pierce were smoothest and juiciest and chaffey and selma grainiest.

I really like them all with bays being my least fav but i wouldnt turn it down if given to me.

My favorites today are fino, selma, pierce, white but i have yet to try booth and hybrid

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I just tried the Fino and it was so juicy. It was smooth with slight grainy texture near the skin and sweet with a little of citrus flavor. It was not overly soft and bursting with juice. The color of the inside is a cream color. This is just a wonderful fruit! But I was only able to eat half of the fruit...lol. Maybe because it was so big. I place the other half in the refrigerator for later. I'll definitely order again in May when my sister come back from CA.

I also tried the Bay. But I think it was not totally ripe yet so it was crunchy. Yes, it was crunchy and sweet. It have the flavor of banana and pineapple. The Bay have a smoother texture and whiter flesh compared to the Fino. My husband say he like it but if it ripen more then he might like Bay more than Fino. He like his fruit crunchy...lol. But we liked both. I let the other half to ripe more on the counter.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Andrew:

I did not notice any licorice taste in Bays. I am not a big fan of licorice flavor, so that would not have been a good thing for me if I did taste it. I admittedly don't have the most delicate pallate. I left half of the fruit for my wife to try today and she will be a better indicator.

Kristy:

Funny, my Bays was much more juicy than my Fino. I wonder if that is just a matter of how ripe the fruit is. In my case, my Fino was more ripe than my Bays. I would say the Bays was perfectly ripe and the Fino was just a touch to the over ripe side.

Harry

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

My Fino was a bit under ripe and kind of dry. The juiciest one I have tried so far was the White.

The good news is that my wife HATES them. She literally gagged, spit it out and almost threw up. She's a strange one. Why really odd is that she actually like the sugar apples from my tree last season.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I will order these from now on since the atemoya and sugar apple ripen late season. Cherimoya will satisfy my craving for now.

I did not taste the licorice but the fruit did leave an aftertaste. After two hours and I can still taste the cherimoya in my mouth.:) It could be because my Bay was not ripe.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I tried another Bays and Fino today. So far the Bays is the best with very smooth and chewy texture. It's also juicy and sweet. Everyone seems to like the Bays more. There is a little grainy texture on the Fino...not as smooth as the Bays.

So I just placed 3 order of the cherimoya and 1 order of the white sapote. I'm feeding my family and friends....lol

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I opened my lasr Fino today and so far this one was the best out of the 3 I had. The fruit I ate today was perfectly flavored. I loved the smooth consistency and the subacid I ate it down to the skin and wanted more when it was gone. Also, it didn't have the number of seeds the others did. I opened one of the Pierce and it was soft like the other Finos I opened but it was rotten! That was upsetting to see but I guess I can't complain to much. I knew it as soon as Iopened it and it smelled foul. Now I have only one cherimoya left:( one Pierce until I reorder again. Roger Meyer emailed me to tell me that he got my payment today. I told him I wanted to try my Pierce firt. I think I have one more day for that one to ripen. I just hope it isn't rotten like the other. I have to say that I wonder if I am going about this all wrong. Just because I like the fruit doesn't mean that it would be the best candidate for pot culture but this isn't the place to discuss it. I will post on the potted cherimoya post instead. I will do anything possible to get my tree to fruit short of having a greenhouse since I don't own the porperty.
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I just tasted White. Very, very juicy...like sloppy juicy. Something about the flavor was different, not quite an after taste....not really sure how to describe it. I will have to get another opinion when my wife tries it. For me so far, Fino and Bays were pretty darn close in quality with White a notch down from them.

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Well, my cherimoyas are now gone. I opened my last pierce and to me the flavor of Fino de Jete was the best between the 2, also the pierce was ripened like the Feno but still crunchy. I didn't like it. I am going to email Roger now and ask him to send me a Fino de Jete. Next week I am going to have to order 10 pounds of fruit.
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I noticed the same thing with the white Harry. Pretty much could drink the juice out of the shell.

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    12 years ago

Here's my Cherimoyas I grow!, This pics are from last year!

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH