Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapote_gw

A study of mango water program

sapote
10 years ago

I am studying the climate in Saigon Vietnam where mangoes are grown successfully. From this Wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Chi_Minh_City

from May to November it rains almost every day in afternoon � about 11" of rain monthly!!! So it�s safe to say during summer with 80F or higher, we can water mangoes every day in well drain soil type.
Since Mango fruit season in Saigon peaks at April, then I would think it flowers at the end of November which is the start of the dry season. So mangoes have flowers in November and fruit ready in April during the dry season. Less water for great taste.

So mangoes in VN grow leaves during the hot, raining month, May to November, and fruit during the dry cooler months of December to April. For those of us in southern Cal, the growing and fruiting months is from February to November, which poses a dilemma: more water for growing will be too much for good tasting fruits. Maybe here is a compromise plan: during the fruiting months use less water (less growing), i.e. 0.5" water per month, and after harvest increase water to 10" per month while it�s warm.

what do you think?

Sapote

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery