Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Sources for grafted cherimoya hon2ey heart

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

I was hoping to find a grafted cherimoya and the honey heart sounds like it would be a very good variety to buy but I have had a very hard time trying to find an online source. Can anyone tell me where I can look? I checked out Laverne but they are only wholesale.

Andrew

Comments (27)

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Good luck. I tried for about a year and finally broke down and paid over a $100 on one from ebay.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

wow...$100 is a lot. But then if I include shipping on some of my trees then they are about or over $100 each. Will have to wait until PI have the cherimoya.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    I was told by some of the people here that cherimoya wont grow in Florida because they actually need cooler temps.
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

PI won't ever carry cherimoya. My theory is that they will grow down here but they are not grown because they will not set fruit without manual pollination.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Oh...I guess the only other option is ebay. Will seeds grown cherimoya come true? I saw the seed grown one in a 1 gallon on ebay and it's $38. WOw...seed grown is this expensive already. Maybe I'll order some cherimoya fruit and then plant the seeds instead...lol

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    I have cherimoya seeds and I am going to be buying some fruit tommorrow. Email me and we can set something up. I have the Fino de Jete cherimoya seeds.
    Andrew

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Nearly every cherimoya seed you plant will germinate. They grow pretty fast and will reach a size to start grafting before you know it.

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

They sell Honeyheart at the Home Depot's here in San Diego. Not sure about in Florida. I'm not sure if Cherimoyas come true to seed but In my personal experience, and from what I've read online, they come very very similar to seed. If you have a Honeyheart seed, I would just plant the seed. I remember reading that some people that planted Selma seeds had red fruit when the seedlings finally fruited.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I bought from store before and they were not sweet at all and I kind of gave up on them. I'm giving them another try because everyone seems to love them. I'm thinking to buy some from the cherimoya.com to try out the different flavor and to get some seeds. But I will need to find out how much shipping cost first and how many do you get for $25. Anyone here order from them before?

Andrew- Can you send me a few seeds? Thanks.

• katyrarefruitgrower
    13 years ago

I have ordered cherimoyas from cherimoya.com the past couple of years. The fruit are always outstanding! Way better than any fruit you get from the grocery store! You usually get 4 to 5 fruit. You will have plenty of seeds from those fruit! I usually get almost 100% germination rate. They also ship some very good White Sapotes!

Ed
    Katy, Tx

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Alright, who wants to be the nice guy to send my name to Cherimoya.com for a free sample? They have a deal going on right now that any previous customer can have them send a free sample to any potential future customer. I'd love to give one from them a try before shelling out the cash for a full order. Thanks for any help. Please email me for my info if you can help.

Here is a link that might be useful: cherimoya.com

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

I have tried both Calimoya and Cherimoya.com. They are both great companies. Not sure if they still do it or not but Cherimoya.com even labeled each fruit so you know what you are tasting. You have to ask them to label though, they don't normally do it on their orders.

ch3rri, you should definitely give either company a try. I believe they sell in the 5 and 10 lbs packaging and depending on the size of the fruit, you will get about 4 fruit from the 5lbs package and they fill the empty spaces of the box with small lemons.

When I previously ordered, Calimoya had some special breed Cherimoyas or crosses that were super delicious and super smooth with excellent acidity. They also had some Selma but they run out fast and you have to ask for it.

Cherimoya.com had Dr. White, Pierce, Fino De Jete, Bays, Booth and Chaffey. You will get different varieties depending on whats in season.

• tammysf
    13 years ago

I ordered frotm cherimoya.com twice this year. the fruirs were amazing. so much better than from store. i got 6 with each order and they gave me a variety as well as labeled each kind. i posted a review of each variety on here. search for fino and it should pull up

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Ok...I just ordered from cherimoya.com. You guys are making me very hungry with all this cherimoya talk.

Harry

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Ok guys. I couldn't sleep last night and it was 3:30 am and I had cherimoya on my head so I went and ordered 2 baskets of the cherimoya. I did sent an email to Dario and asked him for different variety so I can do the tase test...lol. Too bad they only have those 3 varieties and no honeyhart.

Anyone here have honeyhart seeds for trade?

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Ahh, I am ordering tonight as well. I emailed the owner and he said he could label the varieties if you request it. I think I am going to go with the sampler box that includes cherimoya and sapote. He said he could make the box mostly cherimoya with just a couple sapote so I could try them. Now I am just wondering if the Sapotes are good enough to take up space in the box that could be holding more cherimoya? Any opinions?

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I was thinking about the sampler box too..but then I'm not sure what's in season over there and I've never try a sapote so not sure if I'll like it..lol. So I just stayed with the cherimoya. Actually if you buy two baskets the shipping is only $4 more. I think if you buy one basket it's like $10.95. But with 2 baskets, the cost of shipping is $13.95. That's why I got 2 baskets instead. This way I can share some of the cherimoya with my family and enough for me...lol.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Hmm, looks like I may be ordering cherimoya box and a sampler box then.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I have found a few diffrent nurseries in CA that sell cherimoya trees and one in Phoenix. One reply I got today was a negative. They don't ship them. I am going to email the greenhouse in Erie tomorrow and see if they can order one for me. I was thinking about getting a cherimoya and a lychee. If I can't get the lychee then I will get another mango. I can get mango for $25.00. I am hoping cherimoya and lychee would cost the same. Wish me luck!
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

hahaha...Andrew, you still have room? Let me know when you get a grafted cherimoya. I want one too...ok, let me try the fruits from cherimoya.com first. If I really like it then I'll either plant the seeds or try to find a grafted tree.

• tammysf
    13 years ago

here is my blog post about the cherimoyas i got from cherimoya.com...dario did label them for me.

From alot of the research i did Pierce and Fino de Jete are considered some of the best types.

I have not had a honeyheart yet but they are very common here in california as Laverne sells them. I bought a chaffey cherimoya from laverne because they are supposed to be more cold hardy.

I also bought a bareroot fino de jete from Roger Meyer and he ships. Andrew you may want to contact him to see what he has available...he has lychee and mango but does not ship those.

he also has yellow, orange and red kiwi varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherimoya review: Bays, Fino de Jete and Pierce

• ajaysr5
    13 years ago

Andrew,Cherimoya tree from LaVerne will not be available till June,at this time it will not be hard to find.I have a closed friend in my local nursery and he will order cherimoya tree from Laverne as soon as they become available and he might be able to ship it to you.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ajay,
    Thank you! I have had a hell of a time trying to find a supplier that is selling them at a fair price. Seems like these trees are hard to find unless you are on the west coast. Do you have any experience growing them yourself. From what I have read they have a short dormanvy period which I think will actually work well for me growing them in a container. I figure while it is dormant I can keep it warm but I wont have to make sure it is getting good light. I am ordering from cherimoya.com today so I can have an idea of what I like. Thanks for helping me.
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tammy where is Roger Meyer thru?

• tammysf
    13 years ago

Andrew

roger meyer has his own nursery and grows his own plants. he is in california. if you google him you should find his contact info. i have on computer so next time i am on i will email you.

he is very kind and knowledgeable and a rare fruit collector. he is speaking at fruit festival in san diego in august. so is dario from cherimoya.com

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Tammy,
    Thanks for the help. I just emailed him so all I can do is wait and hope! I also just placed an order for a cherimoya basket but I skipped the Bay based on your critique of the flavor. I am not found of licorice as a rule, and definetly not fruit. I can't wait for the fruit to arrive!
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    13 years ago

Andrew,yes I do have a honeyheart cherimoyas and yes they do have a short dormancy period around mid March and 2nd week of April they start loosing leaves but soon after they loose leaves new buds come out.Here is a pic of my honeyheart cherimoya.
    This is from last year when I 1st got it.(June 09)

Last year around Nov.09

I replanted the honeyheart around January this year and put it in a different location because it was too close to the wall were it was originall planted.This picture was taken 3-15-10 (Dormancy stage).I will try to post pictures tomorrow of how the tree looks like now.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks