Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Eunice's Backyard Mango Tour

mangodog
13 years ago

Eunice is an acquaintence of JF and a long time member of the Rare Tropical Fruits group (probably 30 years?) who agree to let JF and I

do a tour of her back yard in Anaheim Hills CA. I don't remember any of the names of the trees so you'll just get a bunch of mostly mango pictures,

but perhaps JF can help me with some of the names when he sees them.....She is 91 and navigates 150 steps with only a cane to traverse her large hillside garden....

some pretty old mango trees, too......

Interestingly, very few had any baby mangos on them as the cold had killed the inflos from Jan/Feb and so were getting ready

and pushing flower buds once again.........mangomandog

The next 4 are Eunice doing a graft of a Carnical Mango (her creation) onto an Ataulfo that JF had bought for root stock

Comments (10)

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...sorry....editors error that was a Carnival mango graft
    piece.....and the description she gave of the fruit was that it was fiberless, very tasty and starting out purple then adding like pink and yellow onto it's pallete as it ripens - sounds maaahvelous, eh?

I received a few cuttings of that from her tree, and a couple of Cocanilla cuttings (a manila seedling she says that has strong coconut overtones....mmmmmm!) and lastly a couple Thompson cuttings....I grafted them all over the weekend to a couple different trees and wrapped the finished wrappings with aluminum foil (she said it's a must for protection in hot weather!)

so....we'll see how I did in a few weeks and I'll post the winners and losers......

Mr.Mangoperrito

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow...91! She sounds amazing!!! Good for her...Great pictures, thanks for posting and sharing! Great view too!

• zands
    13 years ago

Thanks.
    She has made that hillside into a lush paradise. May God grant her many more years to live in it. The fruits must be delicious. Maybe you can get a return invite when the mangoes ripen and post a report.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yeah, Pugs, she's still quite nimble and wouldn't it be grand to return to her place "in season" zands????

:)

She did say "come back anytime".......very sweet lady with a ton of knowledge I could only dream of getting.....oh...here's a pic I took thismorning while walking the dogs of a mango tree (had tiny red fruit on it this time last year) that looks to be at least 20 years old, NEVER BEEN PUGGED (I bet!) and appears to be bearing on alternate years as it had ZERO flowers/fruits on it this year....

Harry - you've got a couple over 30 feet yes???

MangoSquirt

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Gary:

No, I have no mango trees over or even close to 30 feet. You have to remember....although I am extremely reticent about "pugging" small trees from which I am anxiously awaiting fruit, almost all of my mango trees got a "pugging" in the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma. Almost every mango tree I have was knocked over by the storm. It was impossible to upright the trees without "hat racking" (what I called it before learning about "pugging") and removing almost all of each tree's canopy. My tallest mango tree now is probably just over 20 feet high. Most are not that high, in the 15- 20 feet area.

Harry

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Hi MangoDog,

Very nice pic of the back of my head LOL I was a little disappointed this year because of the lack of flowers and mangos. I suppose her trees bear every alternate year because last year in May her trees were loaded with mangos. In respect to your question about her varieties, I think she has the basic varieties like Glenn, Tommy Atkins, Edward, NDM etc. she also has her famous Carnival (seedling from Tommy) and Coconilla(seedling from Manilla) which are register cultivars with the CRFG. BTW, how are your grafts doing? I'm going to have to wait a few days to see the results on mine.

JF

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...oh Harry - I forgot about the hurricanes you guys got - if not for them though you'd have a bunch over 30 feet I'm sure!

JF - grafted all my scion wood from Eunice's over the weekend onto two different trees - the Thompson and Coconilla onto a 4 year old Manila I have (side grafts was all I could do) and the Carnival scions I notch-grafted (like Eunice showed us) onto a mango tree that died below the original graft spot and grew these branches from the base of the plant.....

Like you say, we'll see......MangoScratcher

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Wow, what an incredible lady, yard and view to boot. When everything is in bloom, it must be overwhelming. You are a lucky dog for sure to have witnessed a master like her graft a mango right in front of you, I still have not had success with my mango grafts. And the notch graft, that is interesting, I'll have to give that a go.

Put me down on the trade list when scions of Carnival and Coconilla become available.

JF, let me apologize for being a complete flake, thank you for the invite and I look forward to an eventual La Habra tour.

-Ethan

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ethan - if my Carnival and Coconilla grafts hold I'll keep you in mind for a cutting, but it might be awhile. Remind me next year (around this time?) and I'll see how (and if) things are growing..........

And yes was it you who almost joined us for this tour? Not only was her place quite unusual, JF is a mango sleuth when it comes to pointing out mango trees growing in people's yards and showed me probably a dozen trees while we were cruising around the neighborhood....

MangoD

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Ethan

No problem, we'll try to get something going in late Aug. to see if some of those Mamey's in Santa Ana have ripen.

MangoDog-

Took a quick trip around La Habra today and saw lot's of trees with fruits and I'm sure it's the same around Santa Ana's barrios well check it out in late Aug. when mangos start to ripen.

JF