Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dragon fruit (redish ooze?)

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 19:58

Hello,

I planted some dragon fruit cuttings I got from a neighbor couple weeks ago and had used rooting hormone with a very light perlity mix. One pot got knocked over by wind and I was potting back up when I noticed that the botting of the cutting was all red and oozy. Like somehow the rooting hormone reacted with the moist cutting and created this chili-paste-looking thing. Has anyone seen this?
It's not rot yet, and there are little roots now coming out but the redness makes me worry. Thanks.
Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dragon fruit (redish ooze?)

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 16:48

Don't really know what that red ooze is, but if it's not rotting and already showing signs of roots forming it should be fine. You should have probably let the cuttings dry/ heal/ form a scaffold, then plant. But that isn't always necessary. Once they are well rooted and start growing they will really take off. If you want fruit faster build a trellis or a Vietnamese T-tree(most common way they are grown), if not you can let them climb tree stomps/ dead tree , but with this method they won't likely fruit till they reach the top and hang over.

o
Dragon Fruit

Thanks for the picture! That's exactly how I want to train the dragon fruit. I didn't know that having that way actually made it flower earlier. That is cool.
It is already rooting so maybe the rooting hormone and the juice of the cutting mixed and caused the redness. I'll watch it and hopefully it will be OK. Thanks.
Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here