Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

My Potted Sapodilla

ch3rri
14 years ago

Hi Everyone.

Here is the update for my potted sapodilla trees. I think I can eat one of the sapodilla in May. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Potted Sapodilla

Comments (15)

• kubi411
    14 years ago

That's a healthy looking tree. How does this fruit taste compared to a mango?

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This fruit is super sweet compared to the mango. There is no sour taste to this fruit. I love both!!!

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Ch3rri,
    Very nice and healthy looking tree. Your tree looks better than many i've seen grown here in FL. While you're at it, how does a banana taste compared to an apple? lol

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

sapodilla tastes like a brown sugar soaked pear. too sweet and basic for me by itself.

• red_sea_me
    14 years ago

beautiful tree Ch3rri, looks even better covered in fruit.

congrats,
    -Ethan

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Great looking tree. It's amazing what you are able to do up there without even having a greenhouse.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Kristy:

Really nicely grown! I wonder how large your fruits will get being pot grown. Will be waiting anxiously to see.

Harry

• yaslan
    14 years ago

ch3rri - Those are some beautiful potted Sapodillas! If I could grow sapodillas like you, I think my mother would just be over the moon!! You do an excellent job of growing tropical fruits (especially in PA!). It's inspiring for those of us who do not live in more tropical-like areas and suffer from zone denial.
    Congrats!
    Bo

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Kristi,
    Wow those trees grew fast, congrats to you! Fruits look good.
    Andrew

• north_tree_man
    14 years ago

Very nice Ch3rri! Eat one for me.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. The largest sapodilla fruit is actually the same size as the one I bought from the store. I think the Haysa should be a larger fruit, but maybe being in pot and since there are 12 of them the fruits might be smaller. I'm wondering about the sweetness of the fruit too. I'll post when the fruit is ready to eat...:)

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

Yum! I am jealous!
    Did you do anything to fertilize the flowers, so did they self pollinate?

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't do anything to fertilize the flowers. Most of them were self pollinated..or maybe the bees pollinate them. I saw a lot of bees flying around. I also use the 0-10-10 bloom liquid fertilize each time I water my trees. I think maybe that might help a bit.

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Very nice. You'll have to tell us how long it took from fruitlet to ready to pick. I read where they take a long time on the tree...9 months??

When my alano was that size, it produced hundreds of blooms but never developed a fruit. Now it hardly produces blooms at all. I have a precious few starting but nothing as it should. I may just dig the dam# thing up and put it back into a container...will be easier to get rid of later if it doesn't giddyup before spring's end. It's a beautiful plant...but I'm not growing this crap for the foliage!

Don't by shy with the pics. Keep'm coming! Thanks, J

• KTsunflowerFarm Waters
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ch3rri- what variety is this? And they are self pollinating? Where did you get it?