Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Added more trees to my collection;-)

Posted by ajaysr5 So.Cali,10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 20:06

I just placed an order with Nipa hut gardens and I got 2 lancetilla mango,1 mallika mango,and a big starfruit "Sri Kembengan.The good thing is they have already shipped my plants todays and should be getting it early next week.All my plants I got from them last couple of years have done wonders and this year should get fruts from those trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Added more trees to my collection;-)

Nice selection of trees all great fruit producers! But why would you want two lancetillas when there are so many other great varieties to try and to extend your fruiting season?

Harry

o

just curious but why two of the same mango?

o

The other lancetilla mango is for a friend of mine.I already have Carrie mango,ice cream mango,nam doc mai,manila mango,and julie.That is all I can fit in my yard.The ice cream and julie mangos will stay in the pot.

o

Ah ha....a method to your madness! You are a good friend.

o

Would like to see pics when the arrive! :)

o

nice selection of mangos.

o

Ditto on the pics...we want to believe you but...

Are the plants from Nippa grafted?

o

Nice selection of mangoes, would love to see an update of your entire selection. Out of all the varieties you have, which one do you like the best?

o

"Alampur Baneshan" Mango
"Alphonso" Mango
"Carrie" Mango
"Chouanon" Mango
"Ice Cream" Mango
"Julie" Mango
"Nam Doc Mai" Mango
"Po Pyu Kalay" Mango
"Rosigold" Mango

"St. Maui" Mango
"Zebda" Mango

heres my list, the ones in red are the varieties i have tried, out of them Carrie and Po Pyu Kalay are probably my favorite.

o

simon grow,I have only tasted fruit from my carrie last year.This year both of my carrie have alot of bloom,nam doc mai and ice cream is also blooming(Should get a couple of fruit this year from both plants).

Ohiojay,yes these are grafted mangoes and all my trees came from nipa except the manila.

I just checked the tracking# and should arrive early next week and will post pics as soon as they are potted.

o

Hey Ajay,
How ya doin? I have not checked on you in a while. Have you had any caimito fruit yet? Mine was decapitated in a watering accident. LOL! Good luck on your new trees. I am hoping to go to Nipa this summer when I go back to Tampa.
Andrew

o

Just got my order in from Nipa and I am surprised how well they look after about 1 full week in transport.Here is the pics..
1st lancetilla about 4feet tall.
Mango "Lancetilla"#1
2nd lancetilla about 5feet tall.
Mango "Lancetilla"#2
Mallika mango the smallest of all the trees about 2.5feet tall.This is a small tree so it could fit in the box.
Mango "Mallika"
Carambola tree about 6.5feet.Not alot of leaves because it was pruned but the rest of the leaves that are left on is nice and green.
Carambola(Starfruit) "Sre Kembengan"

o

Nice looking plants.....best of luck with them.

Harry

o

Beautiful plants you got in. Would you mind sharing how much it costs for shipping? I noticed you live in SoCal, do you happen to live in the San Diego area? We have a Nursery called Ong Nursery and they have many different varieties of Mangoes. If I can't find what I want locally, I would definitely consider trying out Nipa Hut. Please keep us posted on the progress of your trees. Your trees from Nipa Hut look very healthy and disease free.

o

Simon, the trees I have got from Nipa were originally from Pine Island so they should all be good quality plants. Not sure if they get all of there plants from pine, but the trees I bought still had pine's label on them.

o

Simon grow,Shipping cost me $65.00 and that's it.They do not charge for phytosanitary certificate which other do.I am located in 90745 area of So.california.

o

wow thats cheap shipping, what did they use?

o

UPS ground service.The box weight with 4 plants was 43lbs.

o

nice plants AJ,
I've ordered from Nipa and have been happy with the plants, prices and shipping. I should have another Hak Ip lychee arriving this Fri.

-Ethan

o

Hello Jay,
The Sri Kembengan carambola. Have you tried this fruit before? Logees sells it but I wont buy from them any longer. I know there are some varieties that are not that great. I have some seedlings that are growing but I can't remember the variety. Harry sent them to someone and then I got the seeds from them. I am hoping that they will produce sweet fruit.
Andrew

o

Andrew,yes I have tried this fruit before and its sweet not bland.

Ethan,did you order your Hak Ip from Nipa?..

o

My longan and lychee from Nipa took 7 days to get here in SoCal also. My trees had problem from shipping shock and other things so all the leaves turned brown and I had to remove all of them. Update us on how your trees do.

o

Yes AJ, I did order my hak ip from Nipa. I already have one but it never fully recovered from my early attempts at growing tropicals. It is 3 years old and about 10" tall.

I previously ordered a Nam doc Mai mango and Brewster lychee frrm them, NDM didn't even drop a leaf the Brewster dropped all of them but has started to bud out.

so far so good,
-Ethan

o

red_sea_me

did you remove the leaves or did it turn brown and dropped by itself ?

How long did it take your Brewster to bud out ? Its been a whole month for both of my trees.

o

The leaves started dropping on their own then I helped with the rest. I should have done this right away but waited a week or two, my Brewster is currently in my propagation chamber in the front room. It is plastic wrapped chamber with heating mats inside, the Brewster buds are just beginning to swell but no leaves yet. It has probably been 3 weeks? since I received my plants. If you scratch a small piece of bark from the tree trunks and it is green your safe...if brown dont give up hope yet. When my hak ip arrives it'll go straight in the chamber.

I do have an expensive Biew Kiew longan stick tree that I'm praying is going to show some sort of growth (please, please, please). I did NOT buy the longan from Nipa BTW.

-Ethan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here