Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 avacados 1 choice

Posted by pontgta 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 20:44

I would like to get an avacado wich is cold hardy. I know they all suffer some damge in the cold, but want one that i can cover while small and maybe live when its older...

I went to a local nursery and had 3 choices brazos belle,
Lila, and Joey. Wich would be hardiest? what about taste? I know i can't have it all, but one can wish.
I live in the central FL Area 30 miles south of Orlando....I believe i am in zone 9A..

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 avacados 1 choice

I searched for a little info on the ones you listed. I found one source that claims the brazes belle and Lila are hardy down to 14degrees. I find that pretty hard to believe. The most cold hardy ones that I know of are Mexicola and brogdon. There is a mature mexicola growing on the UF campus in Gainesville (not sure if it survived the 09 and 2010 winters). Make sure you know what type they are grafted onto. Being cold hardy is worthless if they are grafted onto a frost sensitive rootstock.

Do you mind mentioning your source for these? I might be interested in trying another couple avocado's if they are actually as cold hardy as claimed.

o
RE: 3 avocados 1 choice

Yes, i ended up getting a LILA. I do not know what they are grafted to. The only thing i saw was the label. My source is probably of no use to you because it was a military base here in FL. They had the 3 for sale, and i was there this weekend, so i was like sure i need an avocado. There was another nursery(greens in zellwood) about 45 minutes from me that has some more "cold hardy", but they could never tell me over the phone what they had. They told me to just go there..I might still have to go, but need to make time. Also, i think this LILA is called or is a variety of an OPAL... and the Brazos belle is a variety of a Wilma(Got info off web don't quote me on this)..

I am going to try to get some mexicola seeds and graft some of my own if it works out..

Thanks for the reply.

o
RE: 3 avacados 1 choice

Lukas Nursery in Central FL has these varieties. The generic description on the tags said they can take the cold down to teens. The Brogdan had a similar tag. I ended up getting a Lula based on Pine Island's recommendation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here