Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil testing question

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 20:50

Just got a Kona Sharwil Avocado tree.

I've read that they like it around a ph of around 6 and I'm pretty sure I'm up there around 7 or more, so I'm going to get it tested professionally.

From the pic I drew with my fine artistic skills in MSPaint, here's a cross section of the plot. The DG and Clay is native and the top fill is 40 year old top fill that been amended many times off and on over those 40 years. Where should I take the samples from since the tree will be growing about half and half in the native and the fill? How deep should I take from? Should I take a bit of the native and a bit of the fill and mix together equally half by volume or weight prior to sending off for testing?

Thanks.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil testing question

Most of the feeder roots will be in the top of the soil, so if it's mainly for that plant you're doing it then that's the place to take the sample from. Years back I did a soil test, advice was to take soil from about a dozen places, mix it thoroughly, and then take the sample out of that. It was a large area, hence so many different collection spots. It made me wonder about how accurate the test could be. The best method is to get a leaf test. That shows you what the plant is able to access.

If it's purely a pH test you need, remember you should probably test the water you give the plant as well.

o
RE: soil testing question

Thanks tropicalbreezent.

Well, the guy I talked to yesterday said 18" since it was a 15 gallon. Have no idea why that would make a difference.

Yeah. It's pretty much just a main concern for this tree. I know from the home kits, it's up there. and my muni water is at 8.1 according to the district guy I talked to.

If it was just for normal veggies, it wouldn't concern me so much. Most veggies like slightly acidic also, but not down to 6 like the avocado, from what I've read. Not to mention, I would just hate to make the investment in the tree(money and time) and 5 years later, it's suffering and crap harvests.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here