Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Tazziberry-Ugni Molinae

simon_grow
12 years ago

I just saw abayomi's thread on Fruits of Australia and can't believe I've never heard of Tazziberries before. They sound really tasty and I was wondering if anyone has tasted these before? Is anyone growing this fruit? I believe its also called Chilean Guava.

Comments (11)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Funny you posts this... I just ordered one yesterday. I am expecting to receive it by Friday. Will keep you informed on how well it does.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey nullzero, I just ordered one today from Baylaurel nursery. Its a small plant at 8-12 inches so I'll have to be patient to get some fruit from it. I hope it tastes half as good as it sounds!

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Simon,

I ordered from Bay Flora, I will update you on the size. It is being shipped in a 1 gal container. Can take some pictures of it possibly this weekend.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

I've got a plant going, I keep it in filtered sun, potted for now. I believe Ben P in San Diego has his fruiting bush in the ground at his home. It is a pretty plant, unfortunately no blooms yet. I will eventually plant it in the ground once we add the deck onto the back of the house.

I believe Ben P was selling plants at the greenscene.

-Ethan

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoops, I meant I ordered mine from Bay Flora and not Bay Laurel. The description of the fruit sounds very tasty. On the Australian website, they didn't mention that it was sweet but they did mention it had a very tropical taste that was pretty intense. If it turns out to be sour, I can suck on a Miracle Fruit before chowing down. I'll try to get my lazy self to take some pictures once I receive my tree.

Simon

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Simon,

What is your e-mail address?

Thanks,

Jacob

• nullzero
    12 years ago

I received my Ugni Molinae on Friday. Here is a picture of the tree.

From April 30, 2011

Very healthy and good sized specimen. I was very happy with my order from Bay Flora.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey nullzero, I recieved mine a few days ago and it looks just like yours. Mine has new leaves popping out and I believe some flower buds are starting to open as well.

Simon

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Intense burst of flavor with each fruit. Tiny though. Would be tedious to harvest by hand. A tarp under a shaken bush might work. I enjoyed them. Saved seed and will sow this month. Was not aware of thpossible Chilean guava connection.....and I bough Chilean guava seeds ( regular and black).. Hmmmm

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Tazziberry has tons of flowers on it now and the flowers are pinkish in color. My plant is only about 10 inches high and 10 inches wide but its got lots of flowers. I hope I get to taste some this year.

abayomi, I wonder what the difference between the regular and black is?

• abayomi
    12 years ago

See the link. I though trade winds was selling a 'real' guava variety....apparently not!

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Chilean guava

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County