Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone10aridgardener

Jackfruit Tips & Advise

zone10aridgardener
14 years ago

Im considering of buying some jackfruit and I was much too lazy to do lots of research, so I was hoping all you gardeners out there could share some tips.

Comments (19)

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Too lazy to share some tips...

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

lol Murahilin you're a funny guy.

To the original poster. Buy a tree, stick it in the ground, water. That's about it.

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

hahha...you guys are funny.

zone10aridgardener,

If you're too lazy to do research then that show you have no passion for what you're looking for. Then that pretty much means you can buy any type of jackfruit. I think you should at least check out the nurseries and see what they're selling and the description for the different varieties.

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

I've never been more proud of you guys...choking up a bit.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

any of yall got some jackfruit seeds you can send me? if not i can always copy and paste this message in every Jackfruit related post in every forum on this website.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Sorry Mango kush, I don't respond to seed requests until the 13th time I read it.

• zone10aridgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I meant it as a joke. Show some respect.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

where do you live?

they have basic needs, like avocado. fertilize during spring, they dont like wet feet or freezing.

• zone10aridgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Phoenix, Arizona.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

well then i suppose you do not have to worry about wet feet.

do you have any experience with growing tropicals in your arid climate?

• red_sea_me
    14 years ago

go with Black Gold, cold tolerant (for jacks), giant impressive fruits, late season so hopefully you avoid any cold in the spring also mostly easy to find.

-Ethan

• murahilin
    14 years ago

zone10,
    I also meant it as a joke. You asked for some tips and here is a very important one: use google. After you do some googling you will be able to ask some educated questions about growing jackfruit. It's difficult to effectively answer such general questions like what you asked.

I've helped you out and did some googling for you and included a great link on jackfruit. If you have any questions while reading it or after reading it please do ask and everyone in the forum will be more than willing to help you.

What type of jackfruit are you interested in growing? Soft or firm?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jackfruit Manual

• red_sea_me
    14 years ago

great link Murahilin thanks for sharing.

-Ethan

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

I think most people like the firm and golden flesh jackfruit.

• zone10aridgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I would like golden and firm as a fruit tree.

• zone10aridgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes mango kush. I grow banana, feijoa, lemon, and dragon fruit with ease.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

those are probably easier to grow than Jackfruit which is more tropical.

have you ever tried growing a mango? my guess would be the biggest challenge in your area is irrigation during the trees younger years.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Most people, me being included, do prefer the crunchy sweet jakfruit. However, there are some, like my neighbors (originally from Trinidad) that wouldn't give you 2 cents for a crisp fleshed jakfruit. They only eat the mushy sweet fleshed ones. The ones that almost gag you as you try to swallow it. I'll never understand why, but it is a fact. I gave two equally ripe fruits from the same tree, one to a Jamaican lady and the other to my neighbors (actually if anything, the neighbor's fruit was more ripe than the other). The Jamaican lady told me her's was rotten and she couldn't eat it and threw it out. My neighbors raved how wonderful, sweet and flavorful the soft flesh in their's was. Go figure.

Harry

• rioryanjr
    12 years ago

I love to plant a jackfruit. live in N.cal millbrae zone17. no fog, temp 40 to 75 deg yearly, coastal. Can I plan
    fruit in my area. Love to eat JF fresh of the tree when there
    ripe and soft.. Help! I just bought 25 gallon hass avocado 12 feet tall ready to plant. I just dug out a 4x4 hole and want to replace it with potting soil mix with cow manure and chicken manure for added food. I also installed 2 3inch drain pipe to pump out water below the roots incase it get flooded. I notice it doesnt drain to well after 3 days of water testing. any answer on both is greatly appreciated.