Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelley_h_gardener

Joey or Brogdon avocado

shelley_h_gardener
13 years ago

I can not decide on a Joey or Brogdon avocado. I can get the Joey locally but know nothing about it except that it can take some cold. I have heard that the Brogdon has a really good flavor and could have one shipped to me. So, can someone tell me more on how the Joey compares to the Brogdon in the taste department? Also, I have heard that the Brogdon pretty much fruits all at one time. Is this the case for the Joey too? Which one should I get?

Comments (11)

• swrancher
    13 years ago

I'm not familiar with the "Joey" Avocado but can tell you about the Brogdon. Its a creamy Mexican guccamole type of avocado, not the large green Florida "leancado" type normally grown in Florida.

• shelley_h_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks swtancher. I probably will go with the Brogdon because I really can't find anything about the Joey. I read under the Joey description that it has an excellent flavor. Not really sure what that translates into and was hoping to get some info from someone who had grown one. I live in Louisiana and have never encountered anyone here who has grown any kind of avocado tree. Does the Brogdon taste like a Haas? That is the only kind of avocado that I have ever had.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

How cold are your coldest nights? I can tell you from experience that the brogdon with be killed at around 21-22 degrees. Don't know anything about the Joey.

• shelley_h_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do not rember it ever getting colder than 30 degrees.

• bob_scal_net
    12 years ago

I live in California and this "Joey" would do very well in my zone... Does ANYBODY know how I can get some of these trees here in California... ANY Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

• pontgta
    12 years ago

shelly are you sure about the 30 degrees. I thought that it would have been alot colder up there. I am in central FL and it gets below 30 somtimes.

• rem1061
    11 years ago

Here is some info on the Joey.

JOEY Found in Uvalde county Texas by Joey Rivers. The tree is very vigorous and a dependable bearer. The fruit is pear-shaped and dark purple-black in color with a smooth skin. Hardy to mid to upper teens. Ripens Aug-Sept.

• rem1061
    11 years ago

Also, Here is a very nice page with many trees (avocado's) listed by name, cold, etc.
    http://www.rockledgegardens.com/pdf/avocado.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Ledge Gardens

• Juan Casero (Zone 9b/Brevard, FL)
    5 years ago

That's funny. I purchased three avocado trees from Rockledge Gardens in Rockledge, FL back in 2016. One was a Brogdon, another a Day, and the last a Joey. I can tell you the Brogdon and the Day are doing fine. The really like this climate and can tolerate the cold such as it is in East Central Florida. The Joey however almost died on me. I does not have the densely packed canopy of the Brogdon and Day and so during the El Nino summers of 2016 and 2017 the tender new growth of the trunk was scorned in many places. Basically it got sun burned before I uprooted it and put it in a pot. It is now doing fine and slowly recovering underneath a large Florida oak tree. Last year for the first time my Brogdon and Day put out flowers but unfortunately they set no fruit. This year they put out twice as many flowers as last year and finally I got a really good crop set. So after 3 grueling years of fertilizing, tending, and watering the trees I am finally about to be rewarded for my efforts. I hope it was worth it....but I suspect it will be.

• Juan Casero (Zone 9b/Brevard, FL)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well I can tell you that last year I did harvest some Brogdon avocados. They were rich and creamy and very high in natural oils. I also harvested a couple of Day avocados. They were ok but less oil content than Brogdon. This year my Brogdon went gangbusters and put on tons of blooms. The Day is starting to go into bloom just now (late February). The Joey avocado was transferred back to the ground in a new site. The tree recovered nicely in a pot last year because I gave it lots of TLC and Miracle Grow. It flowered in early February and has already stated to set fruit! Long Live The AGUACATE!

• sunnystate25
    3 years ago

I hate Joey! I wasted 8 years on it! Avocadoes are way too small, 3 oz, mostly seeds. An egg size, seriously. Nothing good to remember. Skin is coloring your hands and lips to purple. Hard to separate skin from flesh.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus