Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joey or Brogdon avocado

Posted by shelley_h_gardener 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 22:38

I can not decide on a Joey or Brogdon avocado. I can get the Joey locally but know nothing about it except that it can take some cold. I have heard that the Brogdon has a really good flavor and could have one shipped to me. So, can someone tell me more on how the Joey compares to the Brogdon in the taste department? Also, I have heard that the Brogdon pretty much fruits all at one time. Is this the case for the Joey too? Which one should I get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joey or Brogdon avocado

I'm not familiar with the "Joey" Avocado but can tell you about the Brogdon. Its a creamy Mexican guccamole type of avocado, not the large green Florida "leancado" type normally grown in Florida.

o

Thanks swtancher. I probably will go with the Brogdon because I really can't find anything about the Joey. I read under the Joey description that it has an excellent flavor. Not really sure what that translates into and was hoping to get some info from someone who had grown one. I live in Louisiana and have never encountered anyone here who has grown any kind of avocado tree. Does the Brogdon taste like a Haas? That is the only kind of avocado that I have ever had.

o

How cold are your coldest nights? I can tell you from experience that the brogdon with be killed at around 21-22 degrees. Don't know anything about the Joey.

o

I do not rember it ever getting colder than 30 degrees.

o

• Posted by
    Bob Ostrowski 8B
    (bob@scal.net) on
    Tue, May 3, 11 at 12:45

I live in California and this "Joey" would do very well in my zone... Does ANYBODY know how I can get some of these trees here in California... ANY Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

o

shelly are you sure about the 30 degrees. I thought that it would have been alot colder up there. I am in central FL and it gets below 30 somtimes.

o

Here is some info on the Joey.

JOEY Found in Uvalde county Texas by Joey Rivers. The tree is very vigorous and a dependable bearer. The fruit is pear-shaped and dark purple-black in color with a smooth skin. Hardy to mid to upper teens. Ripens Aug-Sept.

o

Also, Here is a very nice page with many trees (avocado's) listed by name, cold, etc.
http://www.rockledgegardens.com/pdf/avocado.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock Ledge Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here