Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy for Sapotes...

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 22:39

I come home and hear my wife and niece laughing in the yard. So,had to take a picture of her up in the tree. No waste of them now.

photo Picture867_zps94a09c21.jpg
 photo IMG_0211_zpsc28cf546.jpg
 photo IMG_0210_zps245b1283.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy for Sapotes...

Some day I'll have a yard. The next day I'll be bugging you for a cutting.

o

I have plenty!...every few months I shear this tree! It might take a while before my Mango is climbable..lol,I should live so long.

o

My sapote is still a bit small, but getting there.

o

Hi, are you trading for seedlings, plants or cuttings for your sapote?!

o

'Suebelle' is a grafted tree. I have no idea what happens when you grow one from a cutting. You have me wondering now...

o

I've heard they are fairly straight forward to grow from seed. If they don't take well to cuttings, maybe a seed then a graft?

o

are you giving away cuttings? please let me know!

o

It would be nice to trade. Are you in California? This isnt a tree for the southeast or desert. Its only a low humidity,cool but mild winter and nights plant.

o

Those are adorable pictures! I actually have Sapote on my wish list and would love some seed out of these fruits they are devouring. I have a few rare plants and seeds to offer but if I have anything you are willing to trade, I'm in south Alabama.

o

So making good on my previous post, it looks like I may have a yard in the near future.

Do you think the suebelle would grow from a cutting?

o

I don't know. Mine is grafted..after 30 years,the graft is still very obvious. A heavy trunk with a thinner top trunk. You might just be better off getting a grafted tree. The time of growing a good seedling..then getting Suebelle tops... Reagans has them for $40.
I'm not even sure if cuttings root easy. I did send some to some guy a 3-4 years ago...never heard back from him one way or the other.

o

I was thinking similarly. I'm trying to find a day at work where I can drive out to Reagans to check out their inventory. I still need to get my sister a dragon fruit from there.

On my list of potential yard trees/plants: coastal live oak, bay laurel, avocado (not sure what type), maybe a cherimoya, hops, sapote, persimmon, ...may try some asparagus or cardoon... what else?

I probably don't have enough room for these things but I can't stop myself.

r

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here