Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestday23

Just ordered my mango trees!

BestDay23
11 years ago

Just ordered 12 mango trees! I think I've lost my mind! After reading and rereading posts here I decided that I really can't make an educated guess until I have tried the different species. Also just because it grows or tastes great in Florida doesn't mean it will in Southern California. So I decided to buy a bunch, grow them to fruiting size and then decide which ones to keep. I figure I can sell my least favorite ones on Craig's List. So today I ordered:

7 gallon Maha Chanook - tastes great?

3 gallon NDM

3 gallon Lemon Zest

3 gallon Pickering- dwarf

7 gallon Edward

7 gallon Rosigold - early season

7 gallon Valencia Pride - grows fast in SoCal

3 gallon Dot

3 gallon Southern Blush - Beautiful fruit

3 gallon Cogshell

7 gallon Ice Cream - dwarf supposedly thrives in SoCal

7 gallon Kent

I'll post pictures when they get here. I'm looking forward to growing and trying these delicious trees.

Bill

Comments (101)

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MangoDog, thanks for the advice. I figure the anthracnose will go away on its own. I was just wondering if their was anything I could do to help it disappear a little faster. The Julie and Ice Cream that I got from TT had anthracnose also. I noticed that the new growth on the Julie yesterday had black curved ends. So I sprayed the Julie and Ice Cream with a Copper Soap Fungicide I bought at Lowes. Hopefully that does more good then bad. Hopefully it won't hammer the plants and put them into more shock. That Ice Cream is nice. It is a full on dwarf tree! About 4 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide. It should fruit for sure next summer.

Bill

• cuban007
    11 years ago

Bill I have bought Mango trees from TT and I was very impressed with the quality and the careful packaging of the plants. In my opinion, the 3gal trees are a better value than the 7gal trees. The Valencia Pride you can buy them locally here in SoCal. They do very well here. I have two and they are in full bloom. I think you're going to be very happy with the Mangoes from TT. I am thinking about ordering a Neelum, Rosigold or Spirit of 76. Enjoy!!!!

• yonip69
    11 years ago

MangoDog, I just bought my manila mango 2 months ago from nursery so it's nothing compared to your big manila mango tree, I have pictures of my manila mango in the Philippines with plenty of fruits just taken few months ago but then resolution is too big and I don't know how to download it sorry.

Bill, I followed your advice and luckily Mickey had one maha chanook 7 gallon left so I took it. Thanks a lot to your help..

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats on the Maha Chanok. Post pictures when you get it. Now there is 3 or 4 Maha Chanoks in SoCal that I know of. After paying all this money I hope the fruit is as good as everyone says. Time will tell.

Bill

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Bill - I've got a Maha - just bought it last December from Plant-O-G and it's got 2 nice sized fruit on it now. It was a nice sized tree when i got it, too ....so we'll see how it tastes these first two....quick pic....

Mdog

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mdog, that is exciting to see. Maybe the first Southern California grown Maha Chanok? How big was the tree when you got it and how big is it now? You give me hope that I may have fruit from mine next summer.

Bill

• mangodog
    11 years ago

...just one growth flush the end of last year, and then the flowers and the fruits this spring. I think the tree was about a 4 1/2 footer....yeah, I'm not sure if anyone else has any fruit on their SoCal Maha's yet....guess we'll find out.....

Mr. Dog

• charleslou23
    11 years ago

why the trellis mdog? Wind protection?

let us know how those taste...

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Little update for you guys. It has been two and a half weeks and all trees are doing great. The NDM is having a major growth flush and the Pickering has what I think are small flowers on it! In a couple of days I'll be able to tell for sure but it looks like the stress of shipping made it flower!?

Bill

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Good News - Best Day - keep doin' what you're doing - no radical changes....

Charles - well....I have these wire cages on other smaller mango trees that allowed me to easily cover them in wintertime with the frostcloth, but obviously this one is way too big for that....the other reason I keep it on - I have 4 really large palm trees towering above it. If a palm frond happens to fall on the Maha, from that kind of height it could decapitate the tree at ground level. If it falls with this support thing on it, chances are it wouldn't snap it at ground level. Gotta look out for those extremem possibilities when dealing with these valuable trees, of course.

And when it gets to be 6-8 feet high, I'll cut it out of course as it will have more plant to protect it from high-falling objects. Don't forget we get some pretty good winds out here, and the palm trees take that opportunity to dump their baggage....

mangoD

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

Hi Guys,

So I've order some mango trees too. I got the fever from this forum. Here what I ordered:

from TT:

Tong Dom 7G
    Mun Kun Si 3G
    Okrung 3G
    Pim Seng Mun 7G

from PIN:

Nam Doc Mai 3G
    Valencia Pride 3G
    Tebow 3G
    Choc-anon 3G
    Gold Nugget 3G
    Sapodilla Alano 3G (not mango)

I'll let you know when I get them in a couple of weeks.

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice, another SoCal guy growing mangoes. gotsomerice, please post pics when you get them. What city are you in?

Ten mango trees at once. You almost have the bug as bad as I do.

Bill

• mangodog
    11 years ago

HEY Gotso - welcome to the wonderful world....yeah, you got the bug bad, too! Yes what city are we talking about here......

keep us posted.....

mangodawg

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

I'm in Hollywood, Sunset Zone 23.

• yonip69
    11 years ago

Hey Gotso, You are from Sunset Hollywood Los Angeles right, just to clear it up because your USDA plant hardiness zone is way too high. maybe you are zone 9, sorry..

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

I think my USDA is 10a.

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

This link might help. Sunset zone is much more accurate and more details than USDA. Western people rarely use USDA zone for plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset Climate Zone

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

".... I really can't make an educated guess until I have tried the different species. Also just because it grows or tastes great in Florida doesn't mean it will in Southern California."

You made a right decision there. Often people don't understand that climate, soil type, daylength/sun strength, can affect not only the growth of a plant but also the taste of the fruit.

It's interesting to see a bit of "mango-mania" happening, I'm a bit at the opposite end of the scale. I'm down sizing the number of my trees. But I'll be keeping enough to supply myself, family and friends. For varieties I have NDM, KP, R2E2, and 'Strawberry'. There's another which the former owner developed but he never registered or propagated it. It produces a lot of nice fruit. He told me it had a long shelf-life.

My neighbour had a real lot of varieties (he sold out a few years ago). The new owner isn't all that interested in them. Most are quite big trees now, about 12 to 15 metres high.

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

Last Friday I got these from TT via USPS.

Okrung 3G (Shorter one)
    Mun Kun Si 3G (Taller one) This one is about 3 feet.

Here how they were packed.

I am pretty happy with them. Waiting for the rest this week (hopefully).

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice looking trees! Nice green healthy looking leaves. I hope the rest look just as nice as those do. Remember to keep them in shade for the first two weeks.

Bill

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, expect them to drop some leaves at about 7-10 days. Don't forget to water them heavy. We are having hot dry weather and with their diminished root function they will need a lot of water. Good luck.

When is your PIN order supposed to come in?

Bill

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

Bill,
    Nope I still don't have my PIN order. The other 2 mangos from TT came Friday. Both were infested with scales. I sprayed them off.

Tong Dom 7G and Pim Seng Mun 7G

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice looking trees. A lot or fresh green leaves. Now I'm worried about scale on my trees I need to check mine. I'm new to a lot of this. What does scale do?

I'm surprised you didn't order a Cushman from PIN. They are supposed to be amazing and PIN is the only mail order nursery that has them.

Bill

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

Bill,
    Make sure you remove all the scale insects from under the leaves and destroy them. Then check them again in a month cause the eggs will hatch.

No I did not order Cushman. PIN should come this Friday. They forgot to send mine order last week! No idea what's that is all about. They said the order got held up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft Brown Scales

• Nitin_Verma
    11 years ago

Nice to see like minded people here.

I have couple of question, if any of you answer that would be good.

1) What is PIN, POG and TT ? I figured POG(PlatOGram) and TT(T*pTropic#$s). Still need to find what PIN stands for ?

2) Where you can buy seedling trees (Not Grafted) ? Looking for commercial production.

3) Can we buy seeds somewhere ?

4) Any of you explored commercially producing this variety mango in SOCAL ? Would like to here your opinions on this ?

Thanks in Advance.
    Nitin

• Nitin_Verma
    11 years ago

Ordered My Mango plant today from TT.

1) 7 Gal Mallika
    2) 3 Gal Alphonso

Can't wait for them to ship it.

• shflower
    11 years ago

Nitin,
    PIN- Pine Island Nur....

• mango-grafter
    11 years ago

Hi guys,

I also have the mango-virus and about 15 different trees. I also graft them myself.

How are your trees doing in SoCal? Mine are flowering now but i live in the tropics.

I saw only small trees on this page but is it so hard to buy them in california? I have never been in the usa so i have no idea what the climate is like there.

Mahanchanook is a slow grower but nam doc mai should grow fast. Chockanon is my fastest grower and that one can have multiply harvests a year.

I would like to help you guys if i can. Dont be afraid for anthracnose because i read you guys have a dry climate, not what we have here. The plants that saw above dont impress me but maybe for usa this is the standard?

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Mango-Grafter - email me at myamberdog@gmail.com for some up-to-date mango info for SoCal....

Mango Dog

• GreenWish
    11 years ago

Just bought my first house, it was always my desire, hope and dream to own a house with a backyard that I can grow some Mango trees with some citrus trees. I understand that Mango Trees will take sometime from planting to fruiting?
    I am afraid that time has ran away from me, and I woke up and found that I am growing old fast, my life is slipping away. If I want to realize my dream I need to plant some Mango trees and they should bare fruit within a year, can anyone help me, what should I be asking for and what type of variety can I ask for?, any place I can buy the trees from to ship to Conchella Valley area (Palm Springs), I like to get contact names and suggested Variety name(s), I like the Kents and champagne mango. I also heard about Glenn Mangos, but never had the pleasure of tasting them, and hints and support will be appreciated

• manny8077
    11 years ago

I just bought a lancetilla mango and want to buy to more either a kent, glenn or mallika which two should I buy

• Nitin_Verma
    11 years ago

manny8077,

I'm growing Mallika in Socal. So far so good. I suggest you to try one.

• sapote
    11 years ago

Hello mango lovers,

I'm Brian live in Burbank, Ca 91501. I had tried to grow a Edward and a Kent trees, twice in two years for a total of 4 trees, and they all died on me after the cold wet winters. I think my problem was too much water. I bought them from ebay air shipped from Puerto Rico. I currently have a 3ft Manila (Home Depot)and 4 2-yr-old seedlings from eating fruits.

Anyone have an Edward or something good for sale? or point me to the right place to buy (sapote.dang@gmaildotcom).
    I also have a 11 year old Suebelle Sapote (from Anderson nursery in Vista) with ton of delicous fruits, a small Jack Fruit, and many different kind of Cherimoya.

Thanks,
    Brian

• sapote
    11 years ago

I did some search of nursery in florida and think I know pog, pin, and tt. I will check their sites and order some trees. Those trees you guys had from them looked very nice and big. The ones I ordered from Puerto rice were in much bad shape with a tiny rootballs, but I had them survived and grew the whole year until the cold wet winter.

Brian

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Hi Brian - do you cover your trees in the winter? Not sure the wet alone will kill them. Did you get frost last year?
    If so, young mango trees DEFINITELY need covering in order to survive those kinds of temps.

Not sure if covering them would have prevented their death, but if you got down to 32 degrees, it would have been absolutely necesary to give them some protection.

I used to live on Barham Blvd., up behind Universal Studios but now live in Palm Springs. I'm attaching a picture of my 9 year old Manila mango from last May planted out here - actually a very good choice for hardiness, in my humble opinion....and produced 110 mangoes!

keep us posted.......mangowoofie

• palmspringsplumie
    11 years ago

Hi Mangodog, I was just getting all excited about being able to grow mangos in Palm Springs when I realized most varieties will ripen while we are away for the summer! What are the latest ripening varieties with the best flavor? Thanks! Claire

• sapote
    11 years ago

As about the dead mangos Edward and Kent some years ago, I bought them and shipped from Puerto rico (this was before I know we could get them from Mimosa in East LA or from Florida). They came with a small clay root balls around July. I planted them in a 10 gal pots and they were doing great. Then the cold wet winter came, and I moved them under a tall big Jacaranda tree for protection. They survived through the winter and started pushing out flowers but I pinched them off. However they started to have anthracnose I think. I started cut off the infected dark blacken branches, but eventually the fungus got into the main trunk (there was brown vein in the cross section of the trunk) and they both died. I believed if I had moved them inside the house they would survived, but moving the 10gal pots was not easy.

I bought a Valencia Pride and elephant (Lancetilla I think) from Mimosa 3 weeks ago. $90 each in 7 gal pot 5â tall with 0.7â dia root stock (IâÂÂm not sure itâÂÂs 7 gal though). I thought about buying the NDM but they all looked unhealthy. They both are pushing 2â flower things now. The elephant/Lancetilla has redish new leaves and the VP with green.. I will plant them in the middle of the paving court yard when itâÂÂs warm (end of March?) in Zone 10a. I saw Excalibur has many exotic Far East mangos but unfortunately they donâÂÂt do shipping. I will buy a Maha Chanok and Alphonsol and a Vietnamese Cac variety (Excalibur and TT have them).

For the winter, I plan to build a frame from galvanized water pipes around the trees and cover it with plastic sheet. Place a low power hair dryer inside with a homemade microprocessor (computer chip) reading the ambient temperature and turn on the dryer when it is below 40F or so. As a bee keeper I also have the steel wire (which is used to stretch across the honey comb frame to anchor and support the honey comb within the frame) which could be heated up by applying a lower voltage across the wire. I could wrap the tree with this wire and adjust the applied voltage for any desired temperature.

I believe for southern California climate, the vigorous variety kind is better suit than the âÂÂcondoâ ones.

Mangodog, how old was your Manila (from seed) when it first had fruits?

Brian

• Nitin_Verma
    11 years ago

Mallika Mango Tree - First Bloom - Buena Park, CA

This post was edited by Nitin_Verma on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 18:11

• sapote
    11 years ago

Look great. Hope you can eat some mango this year:)

• Grove_Digger
    10 years ago

Will most of the mango varieties fruit at the same time in Southern California (SD) or can you buy different varieties similar to avocados to get more year round production?

• mangodog
    10 years ago

I think, G D, you can buy varieties that fruit earlier and later.
    Not year round production, but perhaps a 4 month stretch of production....

MDog

• sapote
    10 years ago

I have noticed when I accidentally drop the single 1" fruit -- flowered in April -- from my young Carrie on June, the tree reacted by pushing out new flower in the next couple weeks. So I would think you can delay the fruiting season by cut off the early flower. Just my guess.

Sapote

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Sapote - I have the same theory in my head - that that would be a way to stretch out the season, especially if one had a bunch of varieties where the fruit matured about the same time....

M.D.

• sapote
    10 years ago

Mango Dog, I really think this should work, and it may not be a new theory at all. It sounds logical, just like if people didn't make new babies in Christmas holiday, then we will make them on Valentine day.

Sapote

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Of course, this only works on trees that you can reach the panicles (flower stalks) from.....wonder if its a 30 day incubation period for the second set of flowers to emerge once the first set is snapped off.....seems about right.....

One of us has to take the plunge, sapote, and test this out!

Mdog

• Grove_Digger
    10 years ago

Thanks Sapote and mangodog. I will be interested to hear if you have success delaying your fruiting season on flowers you cut. Hopefully they don't just mature faster to get back on schedule. Are you intending to cut entire trees or just a portion of the flowers to see if you can extend an individual tree's fruiting?

• sapote
    10 years ago

Only cut the mature flower stalks. Example, if want to delay by one month, then wait for 1 month old flower, then cut them off. I think this might even work for the same tree.

Sapote

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Hey guys! All the talk of delaying mango fruiting has me wondering what happened with your experiments involving removal of flowers... any success?

• parkwood43
    10 years ago

Hi Bill,

Do you know if any of your varieties bear fruit from Nov to May? Or if you know any varieties that do.

Thanks, Stay well,

Rich

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!