Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacob13_gw

Green Scene - New Plants & Pictures

jacob13
13 years ago

Hello Friends,

So, I made it to the "Green Scene" at the Fullerton Arboretum this past week and it was totally packed and hotter than Hell! It was great to see so many people out supporting this event. Aside from running from 1 shady spot to another, I did manage to pick up a few new things while I was there and here they are.

Lucuma

{{gwi:1313772}}

{{gwi:1313773}}

Cherry of the Rio Grande

{{gwi:1313774}}

{{gwi:1313775}}

"Pakistan" Mulberry

{{gwi:1313776}}

{{gwi:1313777}}

"Cape" Gooseberry / "Poha" Berry

{{gwi:1313778}}

{{gwi:1313779}}

Then on the way home, I decided to stop at Mimosa Nursery. If you didn't know, there are 2 Mimosa Nurseries; 1 in Anahiem, and 1 in Los Angeles. I have always gone to the one in Los Angeles simply because it was much closer, but being at the Fullerton Arboretum for the Green Scene, I was only about 15 minutes from the Anahiem Mimosa. Suffice it to say, that will be my first and last visit to that Nursery. It simply doesen't compare to the one in Los Angeles with regards to variety, inventory, and price. So on the way home I stopped at the Los Angeles Mimosa and picked up the Following:

"Alphonso" Mango - I thought it had great shape

{{gwi:1313780}}

{{gwi:1313781}}

It is about to flsuh at all the tips as well.

{{gwi:1313782}}

{{gwi:1313783}}

{{gwi:1313784}}

"Sweetheart" Lychee

{{gwi:1313785}}

I will be planting out the "Sweetheart" Lychee and maybe the Mango in the next few weeks.

- Jacob

Comments (6)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Jacob, your finds are fantastic. That is so cool that you can just go shopping for such trees like an antique dealer/shopper of plants... lol also wasn't your greenhouse filling up already? Not that that's a reason not to "acquire" more.

:)

• amrkhalido
    13 years ago

Gr8 trees u have ,, but i think u will need many greenhouses in the next years to obtain such beautiful trees when they grow more ,,, and wat a gr8 Alphonso mango u have ,, its soo popular in Egypt ages since ages ,,

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Well Mr. Santa Barbara - so you made it to the Arboretum in Fullerton and NO MANGOS like I predicted!

And I'd also heard the "other" mimosa was a shadow of the E. LA one.....

Yeah, very nice Alphonso for a 5 gal (it looks like) Mine I got there in a 20 gallon and it is short and FAT with very droopy branches....would love it if it starts to shoot up as I do want it eventually to be a shade MONSTER!!!!!!!!!

And like Tropicaliste said, where ya gonna put all these
    new wonders???!!!!XXXX

Where there's a will, a way will be found, right?

maddymangomunster

• jacob13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All,

MangoPerro - Yeah I made it to the Grene ScenE and there werEn't any Mangos, but I already knew that and wasn't expecting such. I did get a few things that I was happy to find though, and it was a nice day.

Papaya Tree Nursery actually had some really nice Mango Trees. They Had Kensington Pride, Valencia, Keitt, and Alphonso. They may have had a few others, but all of them were hugely Expensive. I do admit that his stuff looks good, but I want to say that he was selling 7 gallon Mango trees for around $200.00, or maybe more. I had to pass.

As for Anahiem, it was a huge dissapointment. I would advise you NOT to go, as they don't have anything you wouldn't find in E. LA, and they are morre expensive to boot.

The "Alphonso" Mango is in a really odd shaped container. It is at least a 7 gallon, but maybe larger, maybe a 15 gallon. It is a lot more shorter and much wider than the traditional black nursery pots.

And Yes, everything is going to be tight next winter, we should be okay seeing as how some stuff is going to be planted out and will not return to the Greenhouse.

- Jacob

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Nice finds Jacob, especially at Mimosa. You are going to need to get a 3rd, even bigger GH before you know it.

-Ethan

• newgen
    13 years ago

Between you and Ethan, by the time I got to Fullerton on Sunday, the pickings were slim. 8-)) I did manage to snag a Kohala longan, Inga Acai acu, and "Big Jim" loquat. I was hoping to get a few mango plants, but nothing was worthwhile. I WILL stop by Mimosa East LA soon!! Congrats on all the addition to your collection.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County