Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reb1136

Pot or Plant?

reb1136
13 years ago

I have some dragon fruit cuttings that are really starting to kick off growing. I was wondering if I should keep them in a pot or plant in the ground? If I plant them in the ground I will have to keep covered in the winter,which isn't a problem. If I keep them in a pot with a pole for them to grow up what size pot would you guys recommend? Thanks for any help and suggestions

Comments (18)

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Personally...I don't think they have a chance outside in zone 8 covered or not.

• reb1136
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well do you have anything of value to add to this post like a recommended pot size or is your negative remark it.

• pj1881
    13 years ago

I would think that you could container grow, but you would have to keep in mind portability.. Dragon fruit needs to get to a pretty decent size before it will fruit. I dont think the soil requirements are that severe, I have five varieties in a pot thats only about 15gal.. Maybe build a structure of like a 4x4 grid on big tires that you could move once it grew to a decent weight..

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

REB1136,
    Jay did contribute something of value. He is trying to prevent you from losing your dragonfruit. They are true tropicals that wouldn't be able to handle any freezes. Growing in pots is always a challenge but check some of the older posts here on people who do grow them in pots.

Andrew

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Dragon fruit do not need a lot of pot space to root, if you use a larger pot you will be able to grow more cuttings. You will need a Trellis I would recomend a 25 gallon pot and maybe three round wire tomato cages, have them grow in the center of them.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Hey REB...every answer you are looking for can easily be found on the web by doing a search yourself. Maybe that is where you should go first if feel answers here are too negative. Does that provide you any value?

• reb1136
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kush, I started working on a pot and trellis today.The pot I'm going to use is around 25 gallons. I was hoping I could get by with a smaller pot, so I didnt have to use so much gritty mix. I know that dragon fruit is tropical but I have a few extra cuttings Im going to try in the ground. I have these really neat throw up green house that I made that I want to try out.
    By the way Jay did you do a search on how to properly build a green house? Might could have saved yourself some trouble if you had.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago
  • jsvand5
    13 years ago

Easy Jay, that last post could hurt someones feelings.

Reb, Dragon fruit would not stand a chance in zone 8 unless they are covered AND heated. The pot size does not really matter. Just go with something large enough to be stable. These things can basically grow with no soil. I hope that you deem this post to have enough value.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

good one REB...making friends everywhere you go eh?

• reb1136
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jsvand,the cuttings I got from you and Kush are doing great by the way. They have new growth popping up all over them.
    Jay, sorry if you and I got off on the wrong foot here. Maybe I took your first post the wrong way,but it just seemed like a smart"you know what" remark. I am in know way trying to be a jerk. I have always made sure that I told everyone who has hepled anserw questions for me "Thank You". I get a lot of "Value" out of the information that I get here and I trust in the things that you guys tell me. So hopefully you and I can get past this.

• mullenium
    13 years ago

Wow this is like a soap opera! Lol

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Yeah Mull...we strive to keep things interesting here! It can't all be about rare fruit dude!

REB...it's cool. My initial answer to your query was short due to time constraints. My primary goal was to prevent you from wasting your time planting outside and preventing you from having a successful growing season during the summer only to lose the plants come winter. I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...at least with this first response! Could I have reworded it better? Sure. I was just taken back a bit by your comeback there. I shouldn't have made the remarks I did later either.

So we both showed our asses here and we move on. There are things to do, plants to obtain, and the May/June raid on Harry's place to plan. XOXO's to all!! Probably not a dry eye in the place now, eh? LOL!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Awwwwwwwww!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

This stuff is great! Glad to see that the drama can be avoided on this forum.

Too many good times to be had to be wasting time not getting along!
    Andrew

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Dang what d'I miss, Lol and to a bigger issue... free Dragon Fruit cuttings?! :P kidding..

Glad that we're all friends on the forum...

:)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I do have to add that this forum is one of the best on GW...mainly for the GREAT and very helpful members here. We all get along which is rare in most forums. I LOVE this forum!

Great bunch of people...you're ALL great! Time to say thanks to everyone here for sharing and helping each other.

Okay...back to planning "raiding Harry's Place" :o)

• cath41
    13 years ago

puglvr,

I concur. Sorry for the belated response. I was away for awhile.

Cath