Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvested June Plum in PA

Posted by ch3rri z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 2:27

Today I decided to harvest my dwarf june plum. The total weight of my harvest is 1 lb 7 oz. This taste very similar to the big june plum. The fruit is sour and crisp. The dwarf june plum is not as crisp as the big one but still good. A lot better when eaten with the sauce.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvested June Plum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvested June Plum in PA

what sauce ? Shrimp paste / chili salt ? And do you brine them also ?

o

Wow, I think it's fantastic that you got your june plum to set fruit! Did you get your tree from pine island?
During wintertime, did you use a grow light? Do you think growing a container mango would need the same requirements as your june plum? I look forward to reading your blog on what technique you used (on your tropical fruit trees). Thanks for posting pics and reminding those of us who don't live in hotter weather, that it's indeed very possible to grow tropical fruits.

Happy Tropical Fruit Growing!

Bo

o

congrats on the harvest Ch3rri,
dwarf ambarella has such an interesting taste, though I do like it more ripe, much more mango/pineapple taste.

thanks for posting,
-Ethan

o

Bo, I planted all my june plum from seeds. They are 2 years old now. Actually, they started to fruit when they were just 1 year old. They are very easy to grow. But they are more cold sensitive than most tropical when young. Just take them inside when the weather is lower than 60F.

The mango might be easier but then they will be a larger tree. I did not use any grow light for my tropicals this year since they stay in the morning room during winter.

I just use miracle grow potting soil with some peat moss, perlite, and slow release fertilizer for all my tropical trees. Nothing special. They all doing fine with this soil. For larger trees with stronger roots and more leaves then I use less peat moss since I don't want the soil to dry up too fast.

Nguyent- I do use the Shrimp paste / chili for the larger june plum. But I didn't want to share that recipe since I don't want to scare people away...LOL

o

Hi Ch3rri, thanks for the great info about June Plum, would you please teach me how to plant by seeds? thanks so much

Thuy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here