Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

fruit pics

Eggo
14 years ago

Look what I've grown. hahah, nah just kidding! Bought these in the market this weekend. Since everyone's been posting pics of what they been eating and gotten me hungry(and jealous!) I had to go spend some money.

5 lb box of fresh rambutan = $35

4.5 lb fresh durian = $20

5.5 lbs of White cherimoyas = $16

Comments (15)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

That should keep you busy for a while. I've seen the whole frozen durian around....but not the other stuff. I'm going to try to stop in to the market here to see what they have a available. Enjoy! And thanks for teasing us all.

Harry

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Fresh durian?? I didn't think that was allowed into the country just yet. Sure be nice to have access to stuff like durian and rambutan here!

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

im going to try the Fortune Cookie like Murahlin suggested and try to score some mangosteen, when is it in season?

link to the fortune cookie below (just dont buy the shark fin soup!)

Here is a link that might be useful: fortune cookie

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

Great pics, I'm really getting hungry now! Not exactly sure when Mangosteen season is but we just started getting the fresh stuff in last week.

We also have fresh Durian here in San Diego at many of the asian markets like 99 Ranch. I wonder if it has been irradiated?

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Must be nice to be able to go to the market and just pick up fruit like that. Nope, not jealous at all...

• nullzero
    14 years ago

Where did you purchase the fresh Rambutan? I live in Los Angeles relatively close to you.

• mikesid
    14 years ago

I was by fortune cookie the other day, if its the same one, off of forest hill??? They said mangosteen around late july or august. Will check back before then though... just in case...

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

yep, make sure to let us know!

i also wouldnt mind trying a durian.

• yaslan
    14 years ago

I love Rambutan and now cherimoyas too! Those are great prices as well! I'll be visiting this summer, where in SoCal did you find these fruits?!
    Bo

• nguyenty
    14 years ago

I saw cherimoyas, rambutan, fresh durian, mangosteen, and tons of other tropical fruits at

Hawaii Super Market,
    20 E Valley Blvd
    San Gabriel, CA 91776

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3710753335

• Eggo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also try this area in Westminster, on the southwest corner of Magnolia and Bolsa. There is a supermarket called ABC Supermarket, but that's not where I got it. However, the whole plaza has various small mom and pop stores that sells fresh fruit and flowers. It almost has a farmer's market / storefront feel of southeast asia. Unfortunately i dont know the names of the stores...

• Eggo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Durians here aren't irradiated. The mangosteens are definitely and possibly the rambutan.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Richard:

That durian was frozen, wasn't it?

Harry

• red_sea_me
    14 years ago

Wow Eggo,
    that is a wonderful find! Why have I been spending money on plants when it is the fruit that I really want? Another excuse to drive to LA.

dang you for posting, :)
    -Ethan

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

I saw the fresh durian at one of Houston, Tx supermarket too. They are fresh and never frozen before. I was about to buy one but it cost like $35 just for one. It was like $4.99 per lb. So I got the jackfruit instead. The frozen one is not that bad if you pick the right one. It still creamy and sweet.