Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalilu

Should I remove this mango panicle?

jalilu
9 years ago

Hi

My young mango tree isn't strong enough to support this panicle. I read a couple of threads where experienced mango growers advise leaving the panicles till they drie naturally. I am afraid that the easterly wind gusts will snap this tree if I leave it as it is. The picture shows 3 stakes, but only one is holding the tree above the graft. A friend suggested to remove half of the flowers to lighten the panicle. Nancy, Stan, Mangodog, Sapote, or anybody else what would you recommend me to do?

By the way, my Keitt has not grown one inch since I put it in the ground last year. :((

Comments (9)

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Most people wait till the pannicles form small fruitlets and then remove those because removing flower stalks will only make it produce more (usually) BUT, in your case since the weight of the pannicles "might" cause your tree to snap/break I would go ahead and cut it off...better to save the tree now than risk snapping and breaking...at least if that was my tree that's what I would do...Good luck!!

If you Keitt is planted inground? Are you watering and fertilizing your Keitt regularly...I would water at least 2-3 times a week depending on the type type of soil you have and how warm/hot it is...Young mango trees need moisture not wet soil...I would also fertilizer with a small amount of "slow release"...dig a little into the soil about an inch or so away from the trunk...do it around the drip line and sprinkle the slow release fertilizer. Also about every 10-14 days...add some liquid Fish emulsion and or Kelp at half strength and water that into the soil...Hope that works!

Good luck!!

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 15:17

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

That tree is far too sparse for fruit. I've tried letting them grow fruit when looking like that. A mistake. I do see dark green leaves..that's a good sign.
    Cut it off,or cut 90% of it..and then let the tree abort the rest on its own.
    Mango's are unique to want to fruit so small or young. You don't see that on temperate fruit trees for example. Its a blessing and a curse depending how you manage the young tree's.

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Stanofh - these mango trees that fruit so young are usually grafted....meaning....they come from the branch of a larger tree, so they think it is OK to fruit and flower. At least that's what I've heard. Seedling mangoes don't fruit or flower for the the first 4-6 years of their life.

Yeah, Jalilu - that is a grotesquely large flower! I would try to support it/prop it up, then cut it off when the little fruitlets got to be pea-sized or so....

And I'd follow Puglvr's advice on the Keitt...I mean it seems like it needs a kick start or something...

MDog

• sapote
    9 years ago

Jalilu,

That tree is top heavy -- it needs the support to grow more healthier. Even if you cut off the flower the old trunk already bent some times ago and it needs to be straighten back up. I would nail down two stakes taller than the tree one on each side. Depending on how rigid the stakes, if needed I tie a cross bar at the top to form a rectangular frame by the ground, two stakes, and the cross bar at top. Then I use string to pull the trunk straight up by pulling it to both sides to the two stakes.

• mangodog
    9 years ago

Sapote - you probably would have been a good Rack Master in the medieval days when they did this to human beings to curb them of their sins!

LOL

MDoggie

• jalilu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your advices. What if I can't find slow release fertilizers, can I use fertilizer sticks for indoor plants?

Mangodog, you made me laugh out loud at the office with your Rack Master reference!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

It would work just as well,to simply use a taller,larger diameter, single stake. That tree only needs then to be tied around midwaist and then closer to the tip. If tree's have a waist..

• sapote
    9 years ago

Stanofh, your suggest would work and most people do that way. For me I feel nailing down a larger single stake, which must be closer to the trunk, would have more chance to hurt the root of our precious babies.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting