Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adiel_gw

community day at usda chapman field

adiel
12 years ago

For all those who are interested and live(or want to drive to) South Florida:

Hi all:

Chapman Field REVISED date for COMMUNITY DAY AT USDA SUBTROPICAL HORTICULTURE RESEARCH STATION (LOCALLY KNOWN AS "CHAPMAN FIELD") will be held BEFORE our next meeting. Please pass this info by e-mail, verbally and by phone asap.

Luscious Lychees will be featured at the USDA Chapman Field Open House (revised date) on June 4, 2011

The loveable and luscious lychee is the featured plant at this years USDA-ARS Open House at Chapman Field. Come join us and taste different varieties of lychees grown at this USDA research facility. Also see how agricultural research and experiments are done during lab tours, and take an air-conditioned bus tour of the experimental groves and extensive plant collections.

Over the years , this station has been responsible for the introduction and/or development of many of our favorite plants and fruits here in South Florida, and this is an opportunity to learn more about the many contributions that scientists at this facility have made, and continue to make, for the benefit of our community and our nation.

Also included in this event are plant sales, food vendors, and educational booths that will reveal many more resources that are available to you!

This open house is FREE and open to the public!

When: Saturday, June 4, 10 am - 3 pm (The Friends of Chapman Field, a local support group, will have its annual meeting at 9 am)

Where: USDA-ARS, 13601 Old Cutler Rd, Miami, Florida Located between Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay.

Adiel

Comments (14)

• fruit_guy
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't figure out how to send it as an attachment with the emails provided by this forum. The original has a pictures of a bunch of lychee for enticement!

• marinfla
    12 years ago

I am planning to attend this event. It looks like a great day!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Marin, I wish I lived closer I would have hitched a ride with you! Have fun!!

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Nancy You should come down on Friday night... I have space for you to stay here. You could drive back on Saturday after the event.....Life is too short to make excuses when you don't need to make reservations LOL

• adiel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope to see some of you there. I will be there too.

Adiel

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Marin, Wish I could...thanks for the invite though, that was such a nice offer! I don't drive out of my zipcode,lol...DH is working.

• pj1881
    12 years ago

How is the parking down there? I am really thinking of making the trek down there with my little one (she loves lychees!)

• fruit_guy
    12 years ago

The last time I was there, you just parked at the USDA station. There really isn't much else in the area for parking. I'd recommend getting there early just in case.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

I am planning to go as well. Will they be selling large size lychee trees? That will determine whether I drive the SUV or car. Anyone else going?

• pj1881
    12 years ago

What a great day! Thanks for posting this event! I would have missed it for sure!!

• squam256
    12 years ago

Really enjoyed Chapman Field. Had never been to the facility before. Tried 8 different kinds of lychees and took a bus tour of the facility. Awesome place, will definitely go back.

Also got to meet Dr. Ray Schnell, who did the pedigree analysis on the Florida mango cultivars 6 years ago.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey squam256, can you list the varieties you tasted? Which one was your favorite?
    Simon

• squam256
    12 years ago

Tasted:

Mauritius
    Bengal
    Calcutta
    Peerless
    Early Large Red
    Brewster
    No Mai Tsze
    another Thai type

My favorite of the 8 was Calcutta.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey squam256, thanks for the list. I'm surprised that you liked the Calcutta more than the No Mai Tsze. I've tasted No Mai Tsze in Hong Kong, China and at Exotica Nursery and the No Mai Tsze grown in the USA tastes completely different than the NMT grown in China. The ones grown in the US are much smaller with a larger seed and pretty tart. The ones in Hong Kong and China are larger, smaller seeded and very sweet with no tartness at all. Can you describe the No Mai Tsze characteristics and taste?
    Simon