Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keiki_gw

Peniwaraka or NS1 jackfruit

keiki
12 years ago

I have seedlings of both of these jackfruit but only have room for one in the garden. So I ask for your help if you have grown either seedling can you share your experience. I live in south Florida on the west coast zone 10.

Thanks, Keiki

Comments (12)

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

where did you find the Peniwaraka Jackfruit? I googled it and found it is called "honey jak" soiunds interesting but I have no room and two varieties, Cheena and a Bangkok Lemon seedling

Harry would probably be interested in it, his yard is fruit tree pollinator heaven

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, I cannot shed much light on this question. I have never even heard of Peniwaraka, nevermind grew one of its seedlings. I have had NS1 and it is a very nice jakfruit, even if it is a little "old technology" as it was one of the earlier named cultivars. I do have a seedling I call Orange Crisp that I surmise is a seedling of NS1 based upon where the fruit it came from was obtained and the timing thereof. But I have no proof of this and it is only conjecture, educated though that conjecture may be. My seedling is pretty good. Not the best I have ever had, but right up there in the second tier of fruits that I have tried. Best of luck with your decision. You might as well flip a coin or plant both.

Harry

• nana_7b
    12 years ago

If you google "Jakfruit purdue" you will find a reference to this.

peni waraka(Sinhalese - Sri Lanka) translated to English is Honey Jak Fruit. The reference waraka is the firmer type as opposed to the fiberous soft and slippery variety(wela).

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Based on Morton's and Fairchild's description of the peni waraka, I think the peni waraka seedling would be the way to go.

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

wonder if its just a translated version of honey crunch

• keiki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all your input.

I was given the peniwaraka as honey jackfruit and she said she got the seeds from malaysia. I looked online but didn't find much other than honey is peniwaraka. My NS1 was from a fruit I got locally last year and started a few plants. It is the only jackfruit I have ever eaten so my experience is very limited. I thought it was a gonner so I happily accepted the honey. Of course the NS1 jumped back to life when it saw there was a new guy in the garden.

Harry would you plant an NS1 again?

Nana or anyone I am a little lost at "firmer type as opposed to the fiberous soft and slippery variety(wela)." what catagory would the NS1 fall under? Is seemed kinda gross or slippery when I was cutting it up but I don't know if some are even more so.

I am going to try searching with nana's spelling and see if I find more info that way. Again thank you for your help.

• berto
    12 years ago

Keiki,
    NS1 is a very heavy producer. My five(5) years old tree is loaded with fruits for the fist time. I just made some delicious green jackfruit/coconut milk/curry for dinner tonight. I am working on getting a Ng red jackfruit seedling. Anyone, heard of Ng red?
    Keiki, I am located in Fort Myers...maybe we can exchange stuff....bertonsilva@hotmail.com

• keiki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Berto I am in Cape Coral but I work in Ft Myers. Would love to trade!!! How much space did you give your jack? I read you need to space them something like 20' between plants. I plan on keeping this trimmed so I am hoping I can give it 10' What do you think? I will email you

• berto
    12 years ago

Contact made...emails exchanged, tradings coming up!

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Keiki:

If what I have is a seedling of NS1, I would certainly plant it again. In anycase, NS1 is a good jakfruit......so even if mine isn't actually from an NS1, I would have no reservations about trying an NS1 seedling. Of course, seedlings, while coming close to true to seed sometimes, do have some seedling variability.

Harry

• sheeba123
    9 years ago

we just got the first fruit NS1 ,its an excellent jackfruit just like the way its description given in the book. so happy we have this tree,thanks to the nursery guy !

• Langra
    9 years ago

I'm about 210 miles north of Miami, about 8 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean and 48 miles east of Orlando, in Brevard County, Florida, This can be considered the northernmost fringe for growing tropical fruits. NS-1 is so far the most successful variety of Jaks that is growing here.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3Point141's Photostream