Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Spring Tree Sale Broward Rare Fruit Club

swrancher
13 years ago

The Broward Rare Fruit and Vegetable Council is holding it's 35th annual spring tree and plant sale this weekend on May 15, 16 at the 208 Educational Garden. The hours are Saturday from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM and Sunday 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

I helped set things up last weekend and there is a large variety of healthy trees and some good bargains.

The garden address is

5105 SW 208 Ave.

SW Ranches, FL

Located off Griffin Road, near US 27.

Comments (27)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

any spoilers of rare trees or mango varieties they may have?

• mango_nut
    13 years ago

The Manatee Rare Fruit Council MRFC is also having its sale this weekend. Its only on Sunday. They supposedly have over 3,000 trees... Its near Sarasota. Unfortunately for me, the BRFC is 2 hours to the east and the MRFC is 2 hours to the north.

I'm on the hunt for a Neelum mango, Hasya Sapodilla and a Bell Carambola. Oh, and maybe a Mulberry tree, but I'm undecided on the variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a link to MRFC flyer

• squam256
    13 years ago

I made the trip last year to the Broward sale and was very impressed by their garden and the amount of varieties they had in it. Won't be able to make it this year because of work and leaving on a vacation Sunday but I recommend people check it out if they get the chance.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Excalibur had Bell's last time we were there.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mangokush - I recall seeing some unusual Thai type Mango trees that I'll bet you would be interested in. Sorry I dont remember the names, but they were varietes I had not seen anywhere before.

I'm planning on getting myself a Dot Mango tree, there were several that looked really good. Some trees I'm thinking about are Longan, loquat, and white mulberry. That said who knows what I'll actually come home with tomorrow.

Tony

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Thai mangos are definitely my weakness.

there are so many varieties that grow so effortlessly here

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

from left to right or largest to smallest
    Bangkok Lemon Jackfruit, Okrung Tong Mango, Grumichama, Pandan, Cardamon

dont ask me how i fit in all in the Celica, but i did :D

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Wow...that's a very tall jackfruit for sale. Are you going to prune it so it can branch out? Your mango looking very nice too. Did you try to smell the pandan leaves? It should smell good. Is this the one for cooking? I know they have the one just for look....lol.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

yep. its even a named cultivar

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nice haul, Bryan......you should have called Guiness Book of Records on the load you loaded into such a small car....I think you misssed a spot in the upcoming edition. BTW, I assume that Bangkok Lemon is a seedling by the way it is growing.....am I correct? I have seedling as the last time I went to buy one, the grafted one was a fortune.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Harry, its marked Grafted but i suspect it is a seedling as well because its so tall, but its not rooting like a seedling, maybe because of being pot bound. im not good at identifying graft marks

before i put a layer of compost around it:

it was $80

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

Well, its priced like the gafted trees....but the ones I saw were much, much smaller.So, even if only a seedling, it is still a good value. Can't make much of the roots as an identifier of grafted vs. seedling as the rootstock, even if grafted upon, would still be a seedling, so there shouldn't be any difference..... graft or not. An air layer would have different roots...perhaps that is what you are thinking of. I would bet a good bit of money that it is a seedling....but I could be wrong. In any case, they are supposed to be pretty good as seedlings, with resulting good fruit and better vigor. I have no problem planting out jakfruit seedlings.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i usually dont buy seedlings but its not everyday you walk past a Bangkok Lemon, maybe i will let it grow into a stately tree then.

they only had seedling Guanabanas, they said they were focusing more on trees that can handle freak winters, so there werent many.

i have a good feeling i can find a grafted Guanabana at Lara nursery or by taking a trip up to Excalibur

also good news is the Okrung Tong. now we can try to figure out if there are two Okrung Tong varieties, as if i remember you said yours was labled Okrung Pikung Tong

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Broward tree sale went well today, lots of good trees found new homes. I got myself a Dot Mango tree and a Biew Kiew Longan tree. I'm thinking about going back tomorrow and getting another Mango tree, a really nice robust looking Thai variety called Cong...something, and another one called Sia Song caught my eye. I'm also thinking about getting a Jaboticaba bush, the ones there were about 2-3 feet high, does anyone know how long that size might take to fruit?

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

aaaah that new plant smell. Very nice haul, pandan sounds interesting. Your jak pic has me curious, it almost looks like a indented ring between two nodes wonder if maybe a well healed whip/tongue? It is a monster grafted or not, don't suppose your celica is convertible?

SWRancher, I dare you to go back to the sale (just in case you need to blame someone).

-Ethan

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I'm looking for the tebow mango. Do they have that there? I'm wondering if PI still have the tebow or not. It seems to be a nice flavor mango. I hope I can plant this one in the pot.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

mango kush,
    That bangkok lemon came from Excalibur. It's a seedling. You should really take a trip up there you'll be amazed. They have the widest selection of fruit trees in S FL.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, I'm blaming Ethan...LOL. I went back to the sale today and the Mango tree I was looking at yesterday somehow followed me home. The variety is acually named "Tong Bi Con." I was told its a very long yellow colored super sweet thai mango. The tree itself looks awesome it has huge really dark green leaves. Is anyone else familar with this variety?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Harry is.

ch3rri Tebow would be the last mango i would recommend, Kent trees are some of the largest down here, although some of the oldest as well.

if you want another tree get a Pickering and dont look back.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

murahlin i read you liked Bagkok lemon in another thread, thats the reason i picked it up after three people confirming it as excellent. how large is the fruit and is it crunchy or softer?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

mangokush,
    The Bangkok lemon is my favorite jackfruit. The fruit is very crunchy and I've seen the fruit up to 50lbs. I think I might have posted these pics before but here is a pic of one last year at Excalibur that ended up to be about 40-50lbs.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Bryan,

I was thinking of the pickering or graham or cogshall. The mallika seem to be a good tasting mango but I don't know when to pick it so I should leave that out.

It's so hard to decide. I wish I have more room for mango. What I need is a mango with a good mango aroma, sweet, fiberless, good color when ripe on the tree.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Pickering is the smallest most productive and is said to have an excellent coconut flavor and is either semi-dwarf or dwarf.

Cogshall is sweet but not known for having a distinct flavor really, kind of tastes like a run of the mill Glenn or Haden to me. they are popular here though because they are smaller dooryard trees.

Pickering is smaller than Cogshall and seems to be more productive.

• norm52
    13 years ago

Hello ,
    Read that someone might have yellow Jaboticaba seed and wonder If you would consider parting with a few seeds
    Ursula
    culejools@yahoo.ca

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I have a few thousand yellow Jaboticaba seeds right now but I am going to throw them away.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

I'm going. :)

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

I'm actually going to buy a grafted pantin mamey(Picking season: July-August), a carrie mango, diamond river longan, and atemoya. I already have a kent, valencia pride, and a glenn mango, pace mamey(Picking season: March-April, two sugar apple/sweetsop seedlings, carrie mango seedling, pantin mamey seedling, manzano banana, blue java banana(blue java not yet rooting, so lets see if it makes it)and passion fruit(just beginning to root). Today I'll go to Lowes and buy a Brogdon or a Russell avocado, depending on what's still available. In the front yard, I'll have the seedling carrie, seedling mamey and the ornamental banana.