Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pikorazi

Atemoya cultivars

pikorazi
13 years ago

Hi,

I would like to share a few pictures of some amazing atemoya fruits in Indonesia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26283648@N06/4255684453/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26283648@N06/4255684451/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26283648@N06/4297876604/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26283648@N06/4297876606/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26283648@N06/3374964434/

The 'Jumbo Australia' has hardly any seeds! Does that mean, it could has less pollinization problems?!

Felipe

Comments (18)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i posted the pictures you linked,

i also made link directly to your photostream, nice Durian trees!

Here is a link that might be useful: photostream

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Beautiful shots......thanks. The color is very interesting. The fruits a much more yellow than the ones we usually see here in Florida. I want some!

Harry

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mangokush! :-)

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Very interesting. The 4th picture really look like a sugar apple.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Great pics and very unique looking fruits. I want some too! Thanks for sharing your tropical paradise.
    Bo

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry,

I want them, too :-) Do you think annona and mango scions would be ok after shipping them (from Asia)? I'm thinking of asking for scions...

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Bo,
    I don't know how easy it would be to get svions internationally. I think they would have to be inspected and certfied to be clean of pests and diseases. The graftinf I believe is done when the trees are dormant. I think they have the best chance of growing then since the trees energy is going into leafing out and blooming. I am foar from being an expert but I know Jay does his grafting then. have you heard from Roger yet? I have not yet. He would be a good person to ask about times to do grafting.
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Pikorazi:

I don't think that it is impossible to get scions from that distance to last long enough to be successfully grafted. The problem is, as Andrew points out, getting them through customs. Although, you being in the Canary Islands, maybe you won't have these problems. Andrew is also right about the annona scions needing to be dormant....which is good for transportation...like being in suspended animation. I have known mango scion to last for two weeks if kept cool and moist. So, what the heck....give it a try.

Harry

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Pikorazi:

I don't think that it is impossible to get scions from that distance to last long enough to be successfully grafted. The problem is, as Andrew points out, getting them through customs. Although, you being in the Canary Islands, maybe you won't have these problems. Andrew is also right about the annona scions needing to be dormant....which is good for transportation...like being in suspended animation. I have known mango scion to last for two weeks if kept cool and moist. So, what the heck....give it a try.

Harry

• racor_2006
    13 years ago

Wow, great looking Atemoyas. What variety are those yellow ones?

• caiden
    13 years ago

That first picture is absolutely gorgeous--lucky you to have such beautiful hanging fruits. I also love your picturesque, amazingly clean dragonfruit setup, and the pink annonas in your album are also great.

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have some experience with cherimoyas in my dry-sub-tropical climate, but I don't have any atemoya plant, so I'm wondering how they vegetate. Do they get dormant in the tropical indonesian climate?! I will ask this indonesian guy...

Regards,

Felipe

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Felipe:

Both atemoya and sugar apple (sweet sop) do have dormant periods here in Florida....epecially this year. Guanabana (sour sop) and Rollinia, less so, as they do not seem to drop their leaves as thoroughly as the others. I don't know what the conditions are in Indonesia, but I suspect they are warmer than here in Florida. With anonanas, even if they do not go dormant there, I would think that by stripping the branches of leaves and then clip the scion from there it would simulate the dormancy necessary to allow for shipment and eventual grafting. This is theory only though, no experience to rely on. I have yanked the leaves off of atemoya and it will push out bloom afterwards as if it was breaking dormancy. I have also read where this can be done to some temperate fruits, like stone fruits, to induce flowering when there had been insufficient chill hours to induce flowering also. Keep us posted on your quest. Take care.

Harry

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry,

thanks a lot for the information! In didn't know about this technique to induce flowering on annonas. I've read about applying this technique by pruning on litchis where's a lack of chill hours. But what I read was still in test-phase. My cherimoyas (Fino de Jefe, Madeira...) bloom very well, but natural pollination is bad. My a squamosa and a reticulata plants are still too young to evaluate. But I will keep this technique in mind in case of... By the way, in my micro climate, cherimoyas do not get 100% dormant..

For the next few month I will be staying in Germany, so I will have to wait for my atemoya-grafting quest. Right now I will ask the indonesian guy. If he's willing to send me the scions, I will have to be back at Canary Islands to do the grafts. In any case I will keep you posted on this, of course I will post pictures, or else Ohio Jay won't belief ;-))

Felipe

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

excellent pictures. i think i will post some more if you dont mind

Does Durian normally grow like this?
    DURIAN KAKI GANDA

lol, maybe its my imagination but this tree almost looks like a man standing up with his arms out

is that you ? :)

hmmm, Durian bonsai?

anyone know what Putsa is?
    Putsa - Taiwan honey

beautifully grown Vietnamese style, good evidence hanging dragonfruit is more conducive to fruiting then growing dragonfruit vertically

couldnt think of a nicer offering, Namaste

lengkeng itoh (longan?)

im not sure if im familiar with this either
    Jambu Biji Kristal (seedless)

Otaheiti Apple/ malay apple?

mutiara (?)

this is labled Atemoya Fernandez but looks like the other "Custard Apple" a. reticulata. beautiful fruit though, i personally love the unique texture of reticulata and wish there was a prolific variety here

very respectable mango, i bet they have that excellent sweet thai flavor

lengkeng tanpa biji (langsat?)

salacca palm, snake fruit

so many varieties of Durian, it really must be a big delicacy

thanks for sharing the pics

• pikorazi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mangokush,

that's not me! I just found those pics on the net ;-)

That guy has grafted roots to the tree, don't ask me why, but it looks like he knows what he is doing...

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i wonder if he does that type of grafting to get multiple varieties?

• jun_
    13 years ago

Are those tiny Durian in the last picture?? that means it IS possible to grow a fruiting Durian in a pot....if only I can get that variety. And a bonsai Durian? ohhh...possibilities