Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Watering Mango trees ingroud ??'s

puglvr1
13 years ago

For you guys that live in FL or hot climates...how often are you watering trees that have been planted in the groud between 1-3 years ago? I've read some people say "never" water established mango trees...that rain water that they receive in the summer months are enough...but at the same time I hear advise from some nurseries and books that say water established trees only when dry, or when no rain has fallen in 7 days or so.

How often do you guys water? So many different advise, I don't want to over water the trees...but don't want to lose the tiny fruits due to drought either. I was thinking watering them once every 7-8 days when there's no rain...does this seem okay?

Thanks for the input and advise!

Comments (8)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i would say after about two years in the ground there taproot is established enough to where you dont have to water at all. i do still occasionally during dry spells.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nancy:

If your soil drains water at all, you can water every day and your mango trees will only grow faster. Remember, these trees come from areas with monsoonal rains. This is when they do most of their growing. Now if you are trying to raise fruit, that is a different story. With fruit steady moisture is better than feast or famine levels of moisture. A fruiting mango tree still can take plenty of water as long as it doesn't stand for a period of time, subjecting the roots to possible bacterial or fungal problems. You should be able to judge by the way the tree holds its leaves if it is getting enough water. If your water table is below the deepest roots, and epsecially when it is very hot and dry, a couple of deep waterings each week should be enough. If you see any signs of leaf wilt, of course, more is needed.

Harry

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Water during dry-spells. Always keep an eye on your leaves, do they look healthy? Non healthy? Dry? I always water mines occasionally. Too much water will cause fungus. don't water at all during the rainy season.

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Water during dry-spells. Always keep an eye on your leaves, do they look healthy? Non healthy? Dry? I always water mines occasionally. Too much water will cause fungus. don't water at all during the rainy season.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input and advise!

Harry, my soil is sandy...so it does drain very fast. I've been trying to water it at least once a week...but this month has been extremely hot, dry and windy...NO rain. At least we had a couple of inches in April. I've not noticed any wilting with the leaves, so I guess its doing fine. I only have one inground mango tree that has fruits right now(Cogshall)...the rest is putting out new growths. I've never seen standing water in my yard since I've moved here(4 years)ago...drains right through even after a heavy
    thunderstorm. They love rain water, so I don't water them in the summer as long as we get at least an inch of rain weekly. You guys south get much more rain in the summer than we do.

Thanks again!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

For my new planting of mango trees, that means those that have not gotten their roots into our water table 4-5 feet down, I would and do water every 3rd day in this heat. For the next month or so, we will be in a dry pattern. The rainy season begins for us in Florida, on the average, by the thrid week in May. I supect we will have a slight delay in the onset as this year seems to be running off regular schedule. Any mango that does not have fruit or bloom on it, can absolutely be watered daily if you have sandy soil. Your trees will love it, they'll grow faster and they will not suffer any rot or fungal problems.....I can just about guarantee it.

Harry

• cabdes57
    9 years ago

Hey! I am Sanjiva from Sri Lanka. The mango plants are approx 8 yrs, variety Alphonso had substantial for about two weeks (inter monsoonal) South West Monsoon as we refer to in SL.

Planted a minor crop in February 2014 in between the Mango where the both crops had much water & equal artificial fertilizer. Organic manure too was applied August/September 2013.

My situ is that as a result of all the care mango is producing pretty much tender leaves & no flowers.

Need some help & advice.

Thanks Sanjiva

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Over fertilising mangos, especially with nitrogen, will produce a lot of soft growth but not flowers. The best way to find out which nutrients need to be supplied to your mangos by way of fertilisers is to get a soil test done. Then you can get advice on what is specifically needed. But generally manures rich in nitrogen are not good.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus