Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango Tree Tipping Advice

Posted by jalilu Sunset Zone 23/24 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 11:10

Hi
I had my young mango trees transplanted and tipped while I was away by an inexperienced person. I am not sure whether or not that tipping was not where it should be. Could anyone tell me?

photo IMG_1063_zps7415828a.jpg
Nam Doc Mai

photo IMG_1059_zps31545596.jpg
Ataulfo

photo IMG_1066_zpsb39b08d0.jpg
Keitt
Should I remove the lower small branch where tag is attached?

photo IMG_1068_zps4d02cc33.jpg
Glenn

Should I remove the horizontal branch (the one with flower buds)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango Tree Tipping Advice

Hi Glenn...not an expert but usually mango trees are pretty forgiving about being "tipped" or pruned... as long as its just slightly below a leaf node or branch usually it will form new growths in that area.

As far as the last picture with the flower buds...its up to you? If you don't want it to form any fruits since the tree is very young you can tip it but if it were my tree I wouldn't remove the branch but prune a little to promote a few more new growths? But, that's just me...Good luck!

Here's a picture of where the new growths should appear?

o
RE: Mango Tree Tipping Advice

• Posted by jalilu Sunset Zone 23/24 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 12, 13 at 14:34

Hello Nancy

Thank you for replying. I was hoping to get an answer from an experienced mango grower like you! I followed your advice and removed only the panicle from the 4o’clock Glenn branch. I also removed the lower branch (the one with the tag) from the Keitt.

The NDM has leaf buds below the graft that I plan to remove when they will grow enough, unless otherwise advised by you.

Jalilu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here