Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Pug's Post Freeze Updates(Lots of Pictures)

puglvr1
12 years ago

Its been a few months and I thought I would share some before and after pictures of my most damaged Mango trees...from the freeze of 2010/2011. So far Keitt is the slowest in recovering but I'm not complaining since this one was hit the worst and thought it would die.

Cogshall Before...Dec. 2010

Cogshall pugged...Feb/March 2011

New growths...end of March 2011

Taken today...just noticed a new growth flush is starting! Just fertilized it a week ago before the rain.

Keitt before...Dec. 2010

Severely pugged Keitt...March 2011

Recovering Keitt...ever so slowly. May 2011

Glenn before...Dec. 2010

After trimming...Feb/March 2011

Glenn recovering nicely...April 2011

May 15 2011...From far away you can't hardly see all the damages..but believe me you can still see all the trauma and damages up close!

Thanks for looking!

Comments (17)

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Thanks for the picture update! I'm so glad to see your trees are all recovering. It is really amazing that trees can come back from such severe damage. I know what you mean about every so slowly recovering. That is how my Angie mango has been. Keep up the good work - you are getting them shaped into such beautiful trees despite the horrible setbacks.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Whew, I'm glad they are all recovering, on the plus side they'll be easier to cover next year.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

nice pics ,, and wat nice trees that recovered beautifully ,,

Amr

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Nice. Looks like you will have the most compact mango trees in the state. Too bad most of you pruning has been forced pugging recently.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Pugs - Amazing recovery - I'm taking back some of the sympathy I sent your way last December.... LOL.....
    (just kidding)

THey all look stupendous and will def. make it....just BE PREPARED for the next evil winter, Grasshopper!!!!!!

MD

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

They look wonderful now...still look better than my two potted mangoes. One of my mango is in bloom...but bad it's still so small.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone Appreciate it.

Like Jsvand said I will have the most compact mango trees in the state...which is fine with me "if" it just survives and fruits next year.

"just BE PREPARED for the next evil winter, Grasshopper!!!!!!"

MG, Don't remind me...I don't even want to think
    about winter for a while,lol...

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Nancy, how is your satsuma mandarin doing? I think I'm going to order one and I'm trying to decide between two locations for it. One spot is 'warmer' due to protection and the garden heater; but is within 4' of a crepe myrtle. The other spot is smack in the prevailing winds and it gets colder. But, no root competition and full sun all year. And because we are anything but decisive around here, I think we are going to get a ponkan at the same time. It can go in the suddenly has sun most of the day spot where the oak had to come out.

~dianne

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Dianne, my Satsuma is doing great so far. I picked satsuma for the sole purpose of it being able to take very cold winters...so I won't have to protect them every winter. Of course it has to be mature first. I will protect it for the first couple of years and hopefully after that it will be fine on its on.

Here's what I read on one of the websites.

"The satsuma tangerine tree is the most cold- tolerant cultivar of commercial importance. Mature dormant trees have survived minimum temperatures of 15ðF to 18ðF in northern Florida, northern California and southern Alabama without serious injury."color>

I have two grape size fruits on the tree, not sure if it will mature? I plan on keeping this one on the small side at least until its mature enough so its easier to cover in winter.

I took this a couple of months ago.
    {{gwi:576956}}

Good luck getting yours!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Satsuma Tangerine (IFAS)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Cogshall is putting out some nice new growths...I also took a picture of the trunk. I can't believe how thick its getting. Its going to be the shortest mango tree with the thickest trunk in FL,lol...

• mangodog
    12 years ago

WOW to the COgshall, Pugsy. Built like a wrestler. TOugh-looking guy!!!!!!!!

That will be last mango I get (according to my crystal ball)....

MScotty

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks MD! Yeah, I guess you're right, that Cogshall trunk does resemble a wrestler's arm or something,lol..

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Wow! I would never have guessed from the picture of the tree as a whole that the trunk had that large a diameter! Thanks for the size picture. That is awesome!

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

I am so impressed. I know it must break your heart after each freeze, but your trees are fantastic- compact and healthy. The frosts make you prune. My trees are big and crazy because I don't have the heart to cut them, where as you have no choice and they are great.
    You have inspired me to prune deeply a few times and I have gotten good results. I will "pug" some more of mine so I can reach the fruit!

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Pretty amazing how thick that trunk is pug.

I don't think you will have to worry about protecting that satsuma even when it is young. I have a satsuma, pomelo, grapefruit, page tangerine, ponkan tangerine, red naval, and a sweet lemon up here in ocala. I have never protected any of them and even in during the last few horrible winters the worst damage I have ever had is some leaf and small twig damage. I know I get even colder than you so I would imagine you won't have much to worry about. The only citrus that I have had that seemed to have a problem with the cold is a Orlando Tangelo and a meyer lemon. The Meyer is actually still alive and loaded with fruit this year but it seems to be permanently damaged from the cold.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks you guys!

Sun, Yeah, it doesn't seem that big in pictures! I'm pretty amazed at the size too...for being SO short!

rayandgwenn, it breaks my heart every winter to see my tree get shorter and shorter. I just hope I'm able to keep protecting them. I would be devastated if I ever lose them. Good luck with pugging your trees...there's some good reasons for pruning them if for nothing else so its much easier to pick the fruits!

Jsvand, Thanks for the info on my Satsuma. That's great news. You're saying I shouldn't have to protect it even at this young and small size next winter? By December of this year it would have been in the ground appx. 10 months. That would be great if I didn't have to cover it! You're definitely a few degrees colder than me in the winter.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

jsvand - that's great info on the cold hardiness of young citrus trees. What was your low temp this past winter? Like Pug, I have newly planted citrus & was not sure how much protection they need when young. Mine all have trunks less than 1/2 inch in diameter. I planted Meyer Lemon, Valencia Orange & Ponkan tangerine. I erred on the side of caution & protected all of them this past winter. But would be great if I only needed to give the lemon some protection in future.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!