Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajaysr5

Tropicals just going out of dormancy...

ajaysr5
13 years ago

Here is my cherimoya "Honeyheart" and atemoya "African Pride" just starting to send out new growth and flowers.

Atemoya:

Cherimoya "honeyheart" still looks ugly but sending out alot of new growth.

Just for fun my jackfruit doing well in So.california weather.

Comments (11)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Ajay,
    Are your cherimoyas able to hold fruit at that size? I've never heard of african pride. Is it good? Mine should be here around wednesday or thursday.
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andrew,The atemoya taste like sugar apple and cherimoya mix but the fruit is big.I just got this tree last year,as for cherimoya it look small because it was pruned last month and yes it will hold fruit this year.Cherimoya grows very quickly and new growth in 1 year can be between 4-6feet.Also,cherimoya and atemoya while in growth spurt produce new growth and flowers at the same time.Good luck with your new cherimoya..

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I think it's very exciting to see new growth! Also, it's good to hear cherimoyas grow very quickly. I might have to get one soon!
    Bo

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Thanks Ajay. How do you support the branches so the weight of the fruit don't snap the branches? So you prune about a month before it breaks new growth? I don't know too much about cherimoya trees but I am learning info quickly. I really wanted this tree since the fruit are so darn expensive! I am not expecting to get a ton of growth but to have some of my own fresh fruit will be very exciting. I am hoping to find some atemoyas and sugar apples in Florida when I hopefully go in August. I can't find them in any stores around me. I did buy a cherimoya from a Tops grocery store in Buffalo but I didn't know enough about the ripening process to cut it at the right time. Now I know since I have ordered from cherimoya.com. I emailed Roger Meyer last week and told him that it must be nice to pay less for the fruit in California but he said even there they run about $5.00 a pound but he also said that some of the asian markets have them for about half that. I thought that was so strange. I would have thought that they would have been much cheaper.
    Andrew

• ajaysr5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andrew,the branch of cherimoya is very strong and does not need support.I only support mine because sometimes we will have strong winds other than that I only support the main trunk.As for fruit in California,Roger is correct they run $4.99Lb here.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Ajay,
    Thanks for the info. Now my only concern is going to be pollination if mine blooms. Tammy in San Francisco said her Fino de Jete was about 3ft when she got hers from Roger. I asked him to send me a Fino that is bushier instead of something taller. I know that it will be dormant or just coming out of dormancy because Roger told me that he wont send them when they are not dormant. I am very excited about this tree, as I really love the fruit. It is very encouraging to know that they are capable of fruiting when they are so small. I only tried the Pierce and the Fino de Jete but in all fairness the one Fino was rotten and the other didn't have much flavor so I am going to try the pierce again along with bay, booth, and lucida. I am starting to think that maybe I should pot it into a slightly larger pot. Especially if it grows that much in one season.
    Andrew

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

nice photos Ajay,
    plants are looking great. Which jackfruit do you have?

btw picked up some Dr. White at the SLO farmers market, $3 a piece.

-Ethan

• enocchen
    13 years ago

thanks for all you guys sharing cerimoya information so I can find Roger Meyer's home address. Today I went to Roger's backyard during my lunch break and I picked up one longan tree (with flower buds) and one red wax jambu for $70. He is quite a nice fellow with a lot passion on all tropical fruit trees. I am lucky to be in LA and be able to visit his yard. He got too many trees for me to remember. Only two things I won't forget - two huge longn trees (20 years old) with all flowers buds covering and manay many cherimoya and Atemoya pots.

OK, i also like to share my cherimoya fruit and tree with you folks this weekend (to take picture). To be continued...

Enoc

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Ajay,
    I wanted to ask you about the African Pride cherimoya. I have seen pictures of the fruit but I know ver little about the fruit. I know your tree is still small but I was wondering if you had ever tried the fruit before. I just got an email from Roger and he told me that hes still has the African Pride and I am really thinking of buying it but I don't no what the flavor is like. Do you think there are better atemoyas tha nthe African Pride? I also asked Roger the same queastion and I hope he can tell me today. If so, I will ordeer tomorrow. Here I though my favorite tropical fruit was mango and now, I am really liking the annonas. I have a lot of cherimoya seedlings also. I am hoping to graft some of my seedlings to the grafted Fino that I got from Roger. Thanks for the help Ajay.
    Andrew

• zoe1234
    11 years ago

I am interest in buying a african pride atemoya, do you have any idea where I can get one in Anaheim, Southern california.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

I've heard that the Lisa (atemoya) is good. I get the impression that very few people have tried all the varieties so getting a defnitive answer in which is best doesn't seem to exist.
    There seems to be a more information on Cherimoyas, but again, I think few people have tried them all.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting