Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mango_kush

Jaboticaba

mango_kush
13 years ago

i posted this in another thread but decided to make my own post.

apparently there are more varieties of Jaboticaba then i was aware of, some with very interesting characteristics (like variegated purple fruit)

the article states that Jaboticaba fields in Brazil were often too crowded spaced 15 foot apart and that they should be given 30 feet. ive read about Jaboticaba trees in Florida that were large enough to climb but never witnessed one larger than 10 foot. any one know of any worth a visit?

so if i were to grow more than one variety they would be in the same hole hoping the tree would eventually become multi trunked liked this

{{gwi:1314819}}

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jaboticabas.html#Varieties

Varieties

M. cauliflora differs mainly from the other species in the large size of the tree and of the fruits. The well-known variety 'Coroa' is believed to belong to this species, also 'Murta' which has smaller leaves and larger fruits. The latter was among those sent to California in 1904.

Among commercial sorts in Brazil are:

'Sabará, a form of M. cauliflora, is the most prized and most often planted. The fruit is small, thin-skinned and sweet. The tree is of medium size, precocious, and very productive. Early in season; bears 4 crops a year. Susceptible to rust on flowers and fruits.

'Paulista'Âfruit is very large, with thick, leathery skin. The tree is a strong grower and highly productive though it bears a single crop. Later in season than 'Sabará' Fruits are resistant to rust. Was introduced into California in 1904.

'Rajada'Âfruit very large, skin green-bronze, thinner than that of 'Paulista'. Flavor is sweet and very good. The tree is much like that of 'Paulista'. Midseason.

'Branca'Âfruit is large, not white, but bright-green; delicious. Tree is of medium size and prolific; recommended for home gardens.

'Ponhema'Âfruit is turnip-shaped with pointed apex; large; with somewhat leathery skin. Must be fully ripe for eating raw; is most used for jelly and other preserves. Tree is very large and extremely productive.

'Rujada'Âfruit is striped white and purple.

'Roxa'Âan old type mentioned by Popenoe as being more reddish than purple, as the name (meaning "red") implies.

'Sao Paulo' (probably M. jaboticaba)Âtree is large-leaved.

'Mineira'Âwas introduced into California in 1904.

Pollination

It has been reported from Brazil that solitary jaboticaba trees bear poorly compared with those planted in groups, which indicates that cross-pollination enhances productivity.

Comments (30)

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here are some pictures i found. anyone have any more info on these varieties

'Sabará, is a fruit variety of Jaboticaba a form of M. cauliflora, is the most prized and most often planted in Brazil. The fruit is small, thin-skinned and sweet.

The tree is of medium size, intelligent, and very productive. Early in season bears four crops a year. At risk to corrosion on flowers and fruits.

'Paulista'Âfruit is very large, with thick, leathery skin. It contains a sweet taste in nature. The tree is a strong grower in the native place of this fruit and highly productive thought it bears a single crop.

Later in season that it is 'Sabará' Fruits are opposed to rust. This fruit was introduced in 1994 calfornia.

'Rajada'Âfruit is very large, skin like a green-bronze,it is thinner than that of 'Paulista' fruit. Flavor is sweet and very good in taste.

The tree is much like that of 'Paulista' fruit. The fruit of Rajada is grown in the Midseasons.

Branca

'Branca'Âfruit is large, not white, but bright-green delicious..Small, pale whitish fruit, green when immature. The fruit has a different taste better than purple jaboticaba, it is flesh being soft, silky, sweet and very stimulating.

Fruits can also have a pale bronze shade.

'Ponhema'Âfruit is medium in size,shaped with pointed apex in large, with rather leathery skin. Must be fully ripe for eating raw, it is most used for jelly and other conserve

.Tree is very large and extremely productive. It looks like in greenish black in color and sweet taste.

'Rujada'Âfruit is striped white and purple in color. Its taste is like a grape fruit and its size also like a grape fruit.

When in ripe the Rujada fruit is in hard to eat and jelly nature is less when compared to that of Ponhema variety..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.fruitsinfo.com/Jaboticaba-Exotic-fruits.php#Rujada

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi mango_kush,

Your posting gave me the idea to look up Jaboticaba in the book "Brazlian Fruits & Cultivated Exotics". They have many pages on Jaboticaba (M. califlora) but also about some relatives to Jaboticaba, like M. aureana (white Jaboticaba), M. jaboticaba and many more.

Tomas

• dghays
    13 years ago

I was shipped some seeds from a nice guy in Brazil, he wouldn't take anything in return. Got a couple growing, be interesting to see what they produce, eventually :)

Gary

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Such interesting and beautiful trees, I just hope I live long enough to see mine produce. Cauliflourus plants in general are so beautiful, love the photos you posted too. I was recently given a jabo tree from a gentleman whose tree gets golfball sized fruit, plus a Paulista seedling that I've had for years. I think I'll put my faith in my cabelluda (yellow jabo) though, they are supposed to take less time to fruit.

-Ethan

• caiden
    13 years ago

Those look like good varieties of jaboticaba--I have no idea what type the ones I've eaten here have been. I'm also interested in the other relatives, the white and yellow but particularly Myrciaria vexator "blue grape" which has large bluish fruits:

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/blue_grape.htm

• tj11240
    13 years ago

Will this plant fruit in a container?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Vexator makes an incredibly handsome tree. It is slow growing and so could be container grown. I would take issue with the Trade Winds description of the fruit and its flavor. It is, IMHO, not better than jaboticaba. The flavor has a strong tanin taste ( which I do not care for). The berries can be larger than jaboticaba but that is the only thing that is superior about this fruit other than the way the actual tree looks.

Harry

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

tj112440,
    some people use jaboticaba as bonsai specimen because they are slow growers and very beautiful. Supposedly they flower and fruit as bonsai so growing one in a container should be fine.

-Ethan

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, they make attractive bonsai specimens

the last one must have to be watered twice a day.

• caiden
    13 years ago

hmhausman, that is good to know about vexator--of course a lot of stores will exaggerate the good qualities of a plant in order to sell.

• tropicalia
    13 years ago

mango kush look how beautiful is this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: jaboticaba flowering

• stressbaby
    13 years ago

I'm interested in the last picture, Mango_kush. Is that supposed to be 'Rujada'? Can you give more details?

I'm interested because the fruit appears to be on the tips rather than on the trunk as in the others. This is the way mine fruits.

tj11240, yes, it can fruit in a container. I would not call it prolific, but I have had at least a couple of fruit every year for the past 3 years.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

I love the way jaboticaba looks when flowering. Its kind of like its been covered with snow but without the cold.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

There was a tree that looked like that at Mount's Botaincal Garden in West Palm beach. It wsn't that tall but it was actually wider with more lateral branches. I saw it in full bloom one year. Utterly amazing! Does nayone know if that tree still exists st that park?

Harry

• tropicalia
    13 years ago

Swrancher I remember growing up visiting the state of Minas Gerais Brazil and eating these amazing Jaboticabas from huge trees but actually never saw one flowering.
    hmhausman like the picture or like the video I posted? I need to visit that garden, I heard about it but never been there. I hope the tree is still there so I can see the flowers!
    In the video the guy is saying(in portuguese)that the tree is more than 30 years old and also that they moved it from being too close to the house.

• berto
    13 years ago

I grow 6 jabuticaba trees in Fort Myers and one of them bears a large fruit, the size of a ping pong ball. I believe that variety to be Jabuticaba Coroada. I also have some seedling of blue grape (myrciaria vexator). I may trade a couple seedlings for something rare and interesting.

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

berto how large are they? ever considering trying to air layer them?

• berto
    13 years ago

Brian,
    No, I have no plan of air layering them. Brian,
    I sent you an email.

• norm52
    12 years ago

Hello ,
    Read that someone might have yellow Jaboticaba seed and wonder If you would consider parting with a few seeds
    Ursula
    culejools@yahoo.ca

• berto
    12 years ago

Please help!
    I need help identifying this type of jabuticaba. I am looking for the botanical name. This fruit is called "cambuca" in northeast Brasil. According to the fruit seller, these fruits were from the state of Alagoas. I tasted the fruits and they were pretty good and very large as you can see.
    Thank you for the help!
    Berto

Alguem pode me ajudar a identificar esse tipo de jabuticaba. Qual o nome cientifico dessa variedade? Eu comprei as frutas em Aracaju e o vendedor me disse que elas eram do estado de Alagoas. As frutas maiores tinham mais ou menos uns 3,5 cm. Muito obrigado!
    Berto

• berto
    12 years ago

Another photo!

• jabomano
    12 years ago

I read that you grow 6 jaboticabas and one has a large ping pong ball size fruit. I'm really interested in that one. Can you tell me where you bought it? I usually buy from Tree House Nursery on Pine Island. I too live in Ft. Myers.

Thanks

Ray Bayer

Here is a link that might be useful: My Site

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow berto those are huge! do you have the seeds?

• berto
    12 years ago

Ray,
    I got it from the Tree House, a couple years ago, in Pine Island. As a matter of fact, when I bought it, it had a couple fruits hanging and the tree was only 4 feet tall. Since I planted in the ground, it has not fruit yet, but it has set some flowers. I think I will get some fruits next season. Call Steve Cucura, he may have another one for you.

• berto
    12 years ago

Mango Kush,
    Jabuticaba seeds lose viability pretty quick. I do not have any seeds. However, I may be able to locate a baby seedling of that variety. Send me email and maybe we can trade.

• jabomano
    12 years ago

The Treehouse is where I get all of my fruit trees. I've been dealing with them since the 1980's when Vivian and Bob ran it. Bob's now gone and Viv has major health problems of her own.
    Tropical fruit enthusiasts lost two great and knowledgeable people with the loss of these two. I have a large fruited jaboticaba on hold at the nursery where I'll pick it up when visit my house on July 3. I'll also be picking up a large Sweet Heart lychee.

If you kn ow anywhere I might buy different varieties of jaboticabo please let me know. I always thought that the Homestead area would be a great place but so far I haven't found any contacts there. Here's a photo of a couple that I have in my backyard.

Ray
    raybayer.com

The Treehouse is where I get all of my fruit trees. I've been dealing with them since the 1980's when Vivian and Bob ran it. Bob's now gone and Viv has major health problems of her own.
    Tropical fruit enthusiasts lost two great and knowledgeable people with the loss of these two. I have a large fruited jaboticaba on hold at the nursery where I'll pick it up when visit my house on July 3. I'll also be picking up a large Sweet Heart lychee.

If you kn ow anywhere I might buy different varieties of jaboticabo please let me know. I always thought that the Homestead area would be a great place but so far I haven't found any contacts there. Here's a photo of a couple that I have in my backyard.

Ray
    raybayer.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My jaboticobas

• jabomano
    12 years ago

To berto

If you'd like to contact me at my personal email here it is:

raybayer@zoominternet.net

Ray

• squam256
    12 years ago

Treehouse is a great nursery and Steve the manager is a great guy to talk to. Very helpful and knowledgable.

• berto
    12 years ago

Ray,
    Please check your email.
    Berto

• boson
    12 years ago

Hello Berto,

I am beginning to think that your huge jaboticabas is Myrciaria coronata which has 3-3.5cm large fruits, and not the regular Myrciaria cauliflora.

Tomas

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored