Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adiel_gw

New Mango: Yai Grom

adiel
12 years ago

I just picked up a mango tree last week at the spring sale at fairchild from the rare fruit council. The variety is a new introduction. It is called Yai Grom. It is from Thailand. Lets see how it does:

Comments (11)

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

well if fairchild introduced it, it must be good

hope it turns out better then some of there other curator choices

• adiel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mango_kush, good to hear from you. It was from the Rare Fruit Council International booth (not a Fairchild introduction). But, it is suppose to be very good. I will let you know in a couple of years. :)

Adiel

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

The Thais call it Okrong Yai Grom. Similar to the okrong. Referred to as an old/ancient variety.

• adiel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yai Grom is a new introduction (about a year or so) to Thailand. Perhaps there was another older/ancient variety with a similar name such as the way you have different varieties of Nam Doc Mai and 2 or 3 varieties of Ok-rong. However this new variety is round in shape and larger in size.

This comes in the same way that many of the Florida mangos are seedlings of Haden and Mulgoba. This does not mean that every new mango would be called "Haden" son, etc. The same way it would not be the same mango as "Ok-Rong" by being it's parent. I will let you guys know how it taste in a couple of years. :)

Adiel

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Yea Jay don't you know anything?

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Sorry Adiel...I'll be sure to let my contacts in Thailand know they are wrong and don't know their own mangos.

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

This mango was nearly extinct and had fallen out of sight of most Thais. It wasn't until a little while ago that this variety has made a comeback. Introduced a year ago? That could very well be...but more like a new introduction for a very old fruit.

My mother-in-law found this tree in a local sellers market many years ago. This was not a mainstream market that sold all the well-known varieties. They sold more rare and unknown types. This was a new one to her since very few plants were making it to the markets.

• adiel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jay, perhaps as you mentioned there was another old variety with similar name. Again, its round shape and large size distinguish it from its parent or grandparent Ok-Rong. This named cultivar was not available in Thailand until recently. I will let you guys know in a couple of years the results of the taste test. :)

Adiel

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Everything you describe about this mango is correct. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you and I'm certainly not trying to come off as "knowing it all", but you need to check your facts. We have this tree planted at our land outside of Bangkok. I think the Thai folks would not confuse the names of their own fruit. Is it a new introduction? Not as a variety, but possibly as a plant that hasn't been offered to growers.

We just looked up several Thai sites and they all confirm what I've been trying to tell you. This is an old old variety...still difficult to find in the markets. It has made a comeback in the last couple of years over there. No confusion, no bull. You can take what I'm telling you back to Fairchild or find a local Thai and have them look it up for you. Maybe what Fairchild had written up was confusing for you or possibly just plain incorrect. If you want, I can have my wife look up the sites tomorrow, run them thru the translator, and include them in a post.

It's a very good mango and it is always featured on many Thai food blogs...my wife just showed me one today where someone was using this very mango.

This very same thing is happening with a durian variety over there. Krajib. This durian was very popular long long ago and sort of fell off the grid. In the last few years, saavy marketing has slowly introduced this variety back into the market. It is now one of the most sought after and expensive durians over there. Until about a year ago, it was only available thru special mail order. The people are crazy about it because it is..."new".

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

If the sarcasm in my original post did not come through clear enough, Fairchild is not a very good authority on mangos. the only information I find useful from them is growing and pruning tips

• adiel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jay, thanks for the info. It will be interesting once it gives fruit, we can compare pictures from your fruit and mines and see if it is the same variety. I also heard from other thai folks that it suppose to be very good...so we will see. In any case, thanks and keep up the good research.

Adiel