Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Wrapping my Mangoes...

puglvr1
12 years ago

Thanks to Trini for posting her pictures of wrapping her mangoes...I thought I would try using aluminum window screen instead since I already had a roll in the garage. I also thought I would try "sewing" mine instead of using a stapler since I'm out of staples and don't want to go to HD! Sewing them was surprising easy and much quicker than I thought...I just have to cut several more...Here's a couple that I wrapped to show you guys...I certainly hope it works!

Here's a picture of my very first cogshall starting to color up nicely. I'm wondering if I should pick it today? It also a lot earlier this year...I just checked my pictures from last year and my first Cogshall from my other tree didn't start getting color till June 17th...a full month early! Do you guys think I should pick it today or wrap this one and hope for the best? I'm trying to prevent them from tasting even one...because once they do...ITS ALL OVER!

Pick it or wrap it? That's the question...

Here's a couple I wrapped today...

Here's one from the supposed Carrie tree? It is definitely looking NOT to be a Carrie at all...starting to look more like a Cogshall? I should be able to tell soon as its slowly coloring up now...

Thanks again Trini for posting those pictures...I hope this screen thing works as well as yours!

Nancy

Comments (12)

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Great pictures! Let us know how it works. Once my trees are big enough to fruit I will likely give this a try!

• carbos
    12 years ago

What are you wrapping them against? What type insects have proven to be the most pesky? Or are you battling squirrels, rats, and the like?

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

Looking good Pug! I didn't realize they were easy to sew. I like what you've done. I can't say about the half-ripe one. It's a tough call since I don't know how aggressive your varmints are :) Keep us updated on how they work. I hope they work as well for you as they have for me.
    T-

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys...I used a stapler on the first one...but when I ran out of staples came up with the idea of sewing them and it was quite easy. I used zigzag stitches. But sure any stitch should work.

Sun and Trini...I will let you guys know "if" it works?

I decided to wrap the one that's ripening...its the sacrificial test. I hope I don't regret it!

Carbos...its not bugs I'm trying to prevent...its just as you guessed! Squirrels, Raccoons and possums, you name it I have it my yard at night! I'm hoping the sight or feel of "something off" is enough to deter them...we'll see?

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

Fear not Pug, there's always the hardware cloth (and 3 pairs of gloves) :)

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Nancy
    After looking at that mango and the tree,I think you may be correct about that being a Cogshall. The leaves have that semi curly edge like it and that mango looks like it to.
    Nice job on the bags!!
    M

• mangodog
    12 years ago

excellent strategy pugs - I'd have picked the Coloring Cogshall, but you've decided to keep it on the tree. But I think covered it should be fine - do you squeeze it occasionaly to see if it is ripening? It sure is a beauty!

I know what you mean about some critter "discovering" it - I think that is exactly how this goes in the neighborhoods that don't grow mangos - the rats or squirrels or raccoons don't know what to make of it until they take that fatal nibble that leads to that rush of bliss.....

BEST of luck..... Woofie

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trini, I'm really hoping not to have to go that route...its the 3 pairs of gloves(and bleeding cuts on my hands) that scares me,lol...

Hi Marin, visually it does really look like a Cogshall but hopefully taste will be the definitive test. Will let you guys know.

"the rats or squirrels or raccoons don't know what to make of it until they take that fatal nibble that leads to that rush of bliss....."color>

MD,You are SO right! Well, the good news is...the ripening one I left is still there...Yay!! I will decide tonight before it gets dark whether to pick that one or not? I did squeeze it a little and its still pretty hard. I'm sure it will ripen on the counter in a few days should I decide to pick it. Stay tuned...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay...two nights in a row and the ripening Cogshall is still on the tree! I won't push my luck so I will pick the fruit tonight and let it finish ripening on the counter.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A month tomorrow since I posted that picture...apparently that was a "loner" ripening mango. I've not picked a single one since then...So far they're all still on the tree and is beginning to get a nice color although they are still pretty hard. The next several days or even weeks (if they survive) that long, will be be the ultimate "varmints test" lol...whether they leave it alone or not? The riper they get the more "scent" they'll have...so hoping for the best.

Cogshall sure gets a nice blush...its a very attractive mango.

{{gwi:567512}}

This is the one I bought as "Carrie", But apparently doesn't appear to be...this one is way behind the Cogshall tree.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Thanks for the updated pics - those cogshalls sure are pretty! I'd love to see a picture of the inside of one when it is ripe.
    My tree is growing well this year - by far the best growth compared to my other mangos. Can't wait until it is big enough to fruit! Thanks for the encouraging pics=)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sun!! I will post pictures once I pick one and let you know. Happy to hear yours is growing well.