Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
organic fertilizer recipe

Posted by compostworm5 9 (tarfoot05@yahoo.com) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 12:43

What do you think of this? I always look for the best in my plant care, especially my fert. regiment. I read this the other day on making your own organic fert. Here it is: 1/2 part Kelp Meal, 1 part Bone Meal, 1/2 part Dolomitic Lime, 4 parts Soybean Meal, 1/2 Agricultural Lime or 1/4 part gypsum. Does anybody see potential with this mix? What are your thoughts? How many of you out there use kelp and where can you buy this stuff in a sizeable amounts? I have the maxi crop liquid seaweed, but I think the stuff is crap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: organic fertilizer recipe

2 things, first, this is all stuff you have to buy at the store. I much prefer a simple regimen of mulch from free sources. Mulch offers all the elements that mix does and the added advantages of keeping the soil cool, buffering water from wet to dry between waterings, development of positive soil structure, and biological factors, just to name a few. If your soil is VERY deficient, you could add the lime or gypsum with the mulch, but it probably will not be necessary unless, again, your soil is really short. The mulch, as it decomposes, will bring the soil closer to PH balance and release minerals that are not available without mulch, so often lime and gypsum are not needed.
second, if you do choose to do a mix like this, I definitely don't like bone meal (or blood meal) in the mix as these can cause health hazards. Also, the soy bean meal could be replaced with something free, like coffee grounds from Starbucks or the church social.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here