Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

More Mango planting advice seeketh...

Ok,My Baileys is now getting way underpotted at well over 6' in those 3-5 gal pots they come in.

Now,my record with potted Mangoes?-great,with fruit. My record with two planted Mangos?..dead. Baileys though is in full bloom too..is that a good time to plant out? OR should I just put it in a larger pot? Family wants to see it in ground.

Potted Mangos were also kept outdoors all year. So,in ground did something..or bad placement.

Comments (11)

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Did you water them in, without the container retaining moisture, you need to water regularly the first month!

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Stanofh,

I would not plant it, I put it in a large pot. It gets too cold where you live. I've never seen a mature fruiting mango tree in northern California maybe someone can correct me. Tammy fruited a Glenn last year but she has it protected.

JF

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am now leaning to potting up JF..Just as my last 9' Manila mango bore fruit-2007's freeze took her out. That hurt.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

hi stan

sorry to hear about your manila.....mangos are a challenge here in socal and even in south florida. I wish you the best with your baileys andkeep us updated on your progress.

JF

Original Author
    12 years ago

btw,The freeze killed it back to ground..it came back slowly to about 2'..then I found that trunk snapped off. I think the cats broke it off. But,it was going to be years before it looked like a tree again.
    And I did pot up Baileys..If I find a second Baileys..THAT I will plant in ground and hope for the best. J,Those huge tree's in Anaheim and Santa Ana you posted -what kind of soil? sandy? clay?

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Stan

Baileys are hard to find down here. I just went to Mimosa last week to see their new stock of mangos from PI and they had tons of Alfonsos, Keitts, Glenns and Carries. They expect another shipment at the end of this month maybe theyll receive a few Baileys and Pickerings. With regards to the pics I posted of huge mango trees in Santa Ana and La Habra, Santa Ana's soil is mostly sandy and La Habra is clay. The only pics I posted of Anaheim mangos were of Eunice's in Anaheim Hills and her soil is decomposed granite, I believe, maybe MangoDog can weigh in he asked her some questions about her soil.

JF

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well,what do you know?-I see tiny mangos on my Baileys. The flower spike-is MUCH smaller things then on Manila-maybe 6-8"..Manilas were three times that.
    First it suvived winters,then it flowers,then set fruit,...now will they develop right? Time will tell.

• ginger-tea
    12 years ago

Wow, mangos in Hayward... Congratulations! Is this in the flatlands or the hills? I want to do this. Will growing tropical fruits like this be even more difficult in the hills? If they give fruit, I'd be content keeping a tree in a pot, but obviously the ground is better.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Flatlands...hills could be easier if cold air drains-you've got a frost free zone then. And the hills block that darn bay breeze,making it warmer.
    But,anyplace around town is doable. Just make FULL SUN all year,a no.1 priority. And sun to the ground in winter.
    Both Manila and Baileys flowered in less then two years from purchase. So,its not even a great long wait like many think.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Stan

How is your Bailey doing?? Did your fruits drop and did you put it in the ground yet?

JF

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jay,-I just saw your post here- NONE of the fruits would drop!..So,I had to remove all but a half dozen. I was going to take them all off,couldnt do it.
    Next year it goes in ground..B.M. as I posted someplace else,want's to be a real tree..all vertical growth. Not as good long term as the Manila types or types that will grow horizontal branching...Baileys wont do that even when tip pruned..it just makes more tips that aim up.