Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever grow longan by seed?

Posted by gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 13:02

How successful will I be to plant longan seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever grow longan by seed?

You should be succesful. Why are you growing it from seed though? A multi rootstock graft?

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sat, May 3, 08 at 7:22

I'm growing some Chinese longans via seed. The few actuals I've heard of, sounds like they produced true to type.

Gary

o

I'm growing it from seed because I bought some longans from the store last week and have seeds. I just can't thow them all away without trying to plant a few!

o

I've tried on several occasions, but they never germinate. maybe because they were refrigerated at the store..nonetheless, I've never had luck with them

o

I heard that planting longan from seed made result in a male plant, in which you will not get fruits.

o

vael, do you have more information about growing longan from seeds? Are the longan seedlings really all male plants? Maybe they might be like Rambutan--some will turn out to be male and some female? I would be interested in finding out more though because I have just sprouted 20 over seeds on a wet paper towel. So far, 8 seeds have sprouted roots and they're now in the pot.

Gary, how big are your longans now? You said the few actuals you've heard of sounded like they produced true to type. That is one good news.

If anyone here have success growing longan from seeds, it would be nice to hear from you.

o

Did once tree never bore edible fruit.

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 19:52

Never heard of any diocious longans (separate male and female plants). My two biggest longans from seed are now about 6' tall, but I probably need to half them to make them bush out.

As an aside, my Pepperseed white longan has some small fruit on it right now, which is incredibly late.

Gary

o

After a couple seasons of fruit that never grew I started top working the tree. Still put on other varieties if water shoots come up.

longan bearing grafts

o

First sign of longan flowers.
flowers

o

Hi Y'all!

I did the same thing as one of the posters above. We bought some fresh picked longens at our local Asian market and decided that, since we eat so many rambutans, longens and lychees, we should save the seeds and start growing a few trees.

So here I am, doing all my searches on the internet, and found this 4 year old thread. This was my first stop and now I'm already concerned that I'll end up with all male trees that won't bear fruit 'cause that's the way my gardening luck goes. I have a fence length of dragon fruit that's all the same species so hand pollination doesn't even work.

Anyone have a history with longens that is willing to offer up advice?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here