Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

Ever grow longan by seed?

Gardener972
15 years ago

How successful will I be to plant longan seeds?

Comments (11)

• murahilin
    15 years ago

You should be succesful. Why are you growing it from seed though? A multi rootstock graft?

• dghays
    15 years ago

I'm growing some Chinese longans via seed. The few actuals I've heard of, sounds like they produced true to type.

Gary

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm growing it from seed because I bought some longans from the store last week and have seeds. I just can't thow them all away without trying to plant a few!

• kwaaron
    15 years ago

I've tried on several occasions, but they never germinate. maybe because they were refrigerated at the store..nonetheless, I've never had luck with them

• vael
    15 years ago

I heard that planting longan from seed made result in a male plant, in which you will not get fruits.

• bananafan
    15 years ago

vael, do you have more information about growing longan from seeds? Are the longan seedlings really all male plants? Maybe they might be like Rambutan--some will turn out to be male and some female? I would be interested in finding out more though because I have just sprouted 20 over seeds on a wet paper towel. So far, 8 seeds have sprouted roots and they're now in the pot.

Gary, how big are your longans now? You said the few actuals you've heard of sounded like they produced true to type. That is one good news.

If anyone here have success growing longan from seeds, it would be nice to hear from you.

• ronald123
    15 years ago

Did once tree never bore edible fruit.

• dghays
    15 years ago

Never heard of any diocious longans (separate male and female plants). My two biggest longans from seed are now about 6' tall, but I probably need to half them to make them bush out.

As an aside, my Pepperseed white longan has some small fruit on it right now, which is incredibly late.

Gary

• ronald123
    15 years ago

After a couple seasons of fruit that never grew I started top working the tree. Still put on other varieties if water shoots come up.

• ronald123
    15 years ago

First sign of longan flowers.

• Technochick
    12 years ago

Hi Y'all!

I did the same thing as one of the posters above. We bought some fresh picked longens at our local Asian market and decided that, since we eat so many rambutans, longens and lychees, we should save the seeds and start growing a few trees.

So here I am, doing all my searches on the internet, and found this 4 year old thread. This was my first stop and now I'm already concerned that I'll end up with all male trees that won't bear fruit 'cause that's the way my gardening luck goes. I have a fence length of dragon fruit that's all the same species so hand pollination doesn't even work.

Anyone have a history with longens that is willing to offer up advice?

Thanks!