Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stressbaby

Confirmation, pls...plus pics

stressbaby
15 years ago

I've been meaning to post a few pics, but chiefly I need an ID/confirmation. I posted earlier that the plant sold as "Jaboticaba" was flowering, not on the trunk, but out on the ends of the stems. Here is the fruit in question:

Another:

No issues of ID on these. Here is passionfruit McCain and Purple Possum. These plants have gone crazy this year. There are at least 8 fruit just in this one pic:

Oranges:

My one papaya with female blooms dropped lots of leaves, but the fruit held and continue to grow:

So what about those first two?

Comments (17)

• lycheeluva
    15 years ago

stress- the leaves certainly look like my ajboticaba and the fruit certainly looks like the jaboticaba fruit i ate at the fruit and spice park last year, though i dont recall seeing fruit growing on the end of the stems. does your jab trunk bark peel- thats a jab characteristic

only one way to be sure- send me a bag of your fruit and i'll tell you!

seriously though- i'd be pretty sure its a jaboticaba of some sort- do you have the option of contacting the seller and asking why it is fruiting from the stems instead of the trunk?

great pics. is it only the mcain that fruited or did the possum also fruit? did you hand pollinate? looking fwd to receiving a cutting.

gerry-lychee(double)luva

• north_tree_man
    15 years ago

Great pics, SB. Let us know how the passion fruit taste. I'll be looking into getting some in the next couple of years.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Send those pics to Bryan and ask him. Might be in the same family but it can't be the jaboticaba we are all familiar with. I'd get definite ID before eating!

How tall are your papayas? Looking good. Did you get the D-mail with the 3 TRH sources? Your oranges have a very nice color. My last ones were more pink and not nearly as nice looking...one of those Lowes' citrus purchases! The variety was a whopper of a variety..."navel orange"!! But they were very sweet. That PF has to be huge being planted in the ground. Beautiful flowers. So how has the fruit been?

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

McCain is the only one that has ripened previously...the taste was great in the summer, but the 2-3 that have ripened in cooler weather weren't so good. Seems like they like a bit of heat for good flavor. Purple Possum I have not tasted yet, those are the fruit with the smaller, rounder shape.

I never got around to ordering TRH, this spring has just been really busy. Thanks for the sources, tho. The papayas are various heights...from the same seed batch I have some that I have kept at about 18" height in pots, and then some that I hacked out of the GH this winter at 6'...this plant is about 5' tall.

How do I get a hold of Bryan? Is he at Montoso?

SB

• slothbr
    15 years ago

My guess this is a Myrciaria trunciflora , info here: http://www.e-jardim.com/produto_completo.asp?IDProduto=24

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

montoso.gardens@yahoo.com

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jay, I sent him and email. SB

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bryan was kind enough to write back.

"That is a difficult one. It is definitely in the Myrtaceae family, and may be Myricaria vexator, the blue grape, but even that one I am unsure of since it fruits on the small branches, not on the tips."

I'm not so sure. The pics of Myricaria vexator show a fruit with a bit of a bloom on the fruit, and mine has no such bloom. Also, the veination in the leaf is more prominent than in my plant.

Hmmm

SB

• lycheeluva
    15 years ago

SB- wHERE DID YOU OBTAIN THE PLANT FROM?

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Flora Exotica. I had a very negative experience with this mail order nursery.

• lycheeluva
    15 years ago

did u contact them and say what the ****?

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't. This was something like 3 years ago. Then after my negative experience I posted it up on GWD. Needless to say, the owner wasn't too happy with me. He posted a rebuttal basically saying that if a customer didn't know how to grow a plant, it wasn't his fault. Hmmph.

Anyway, yes, a call to the original nursery would normally be my first step. But I don't know if I would get anything out of him and further, I don't know if the information would be trusted.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Well...you know what this means don't you? You will just have to pick up a bonifide, no-kidding, jab when you join us in Florida come June!!!! You can pick out your own. :)

But this nursery sounds like a place to avoid. Mail-order is risky enough.

• slothbr
    15 years ago

This is a Myrciaria trunciflora , info here: http://www.e-jardim.com/produto_completo.asp?IDProduto=24

• macawbirdbreeder
    15 years ago

would you be interested in trading some of these seeds for jaboticaba seeds. i have a couple of older trees that produce a lot of fruit and for sure these are myciaria cauliflora. the seeds sprout very fast when just out of the fruit. I could even send you some seedlings in trade.
    thanks phil h. leander texas

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phil, email me, we can make a trade!

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it ripened, and I ate it, and it was really good. I saved the seed, Phil. I will get the next two, which look like they are about ripe, and I'll send you the three.

It's blooming again. Weird, huh?