Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
person123_gw

Dwarf Jackfruit

person123
15 years ago

Are there any dwarf jackfruit varieties?

How big do dwarf jackfruits get?

Is it possible to grow them in containers?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• siegel2
    15 years ago

The cultivars 'Singapore' and 'Ziman Pink' are considered dwarf Jackfruit varieties; 'Black Gold' can also be kept under 8 feet.

You'd want to grow them in as large a container as you can possible move.

Now you just have find these cultivars! 'Black Gold' should not be that difficult, but you might have to search around a little harder for the other two.

Good luck!

• person123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How big of a container? Would it fruit? Thanks so much!

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

I took Gary's advice a year ago and obtained a Gold Nugget. It will produce fruit weighing in only around 12lbs...something we thought would be more suitable for a packed greenhouse. The tree went from an 18" stick last May to quickly become the largest tree in the greenhouse. I pruned at least two feet from the top and all of the branches and some of the lowest ones. I wanted to slow down it's upward growth hoping to achieve a stronger framed plant. At this time, the trunk is nearly 2" thick and the plant itself about 6' or so.

Boy...as fast as this has grown, you will eventually need a very large container. I would guess that it will get too large to be moving in and out if you are in a more northern zone. Of course, I also guess it would be possible to be more aggressive at pruning...sort of making it into a very large bonsai. Will it fruit? It better! I'm told it won't start fruiting until the trunk reaches 3-4". Go for it!

• person123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ohiojay! But I'm afraid I'll end up with less money and nothing to show for it! Would I be able to root prune and prune branches?

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

I don't believe you will. The trees themselves are very beautiful and I'm sure you could maintain the tree any shape you wanted. Erik, from Pine Island Nursery, told me they handle pruning very well. I'm sure root pruning could be done as well within reason. You'll just need to build a greenhouse around it!

• person123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'mn afraid I can't do the greenhouse...maybe I'll try sugar apple or lychee.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Sugar apples are very doable.

• person123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ohiojay...I'm thinking of ordering a sugar apple from gardenofdelights.com...are they reputable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden of Delights

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Never dealt with them before. Most of us use Pine Island for mail order.

• siegel2
    15 years ago

Garden of Delights is great, Pine Island, too!

• person123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can jackfruits take root pruning?...I hear they are very root damage sensative.

• amazondude69
    14 years ago

Hi, I am looking for someone who can supply me with fresh blackgold jackfruit seeds or other variety, so that I can buy them! if someone can supply with the seeds please dont hesitate to e-mail me! stevenmadz@hotmail.com

• boredy
    13 years ago

Hi, Can anyone suggest a place to buy the dwarf Singapore Jackfruit? I contacted papaya nusery and they are not carrying it anymore. I live in Los Angeles. I would like to find the plant. anyone with info would be great! I would also buy from any of the members who have access to it. thanks!

• murahilin
    13 years ago

boredy,
    All you have to do is post once. No need to spam the forum with the same question.

Sponsored