Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mango_nut

Most Productive / Best Quality Early and Late season Mango's

mango_nut
13 years ago

So I'm looking to add 2 more mango's to my ever shrinking backyard and need your opinions. I'm looking for the most Productive / Best Quality Early and Late season Mango's that are dwarf or semi-dwarf. They are going to be planted into the ground (i.e. not potted). I already have a: Glenn, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai, Cogshall, Carrie and Choc Anon. So far, I'm considering Rosigold or Jean Ellen as early mango's and Neelum as a late mango. Since these are the last two, for the moment...ha,ha any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• squam256
    13 years ago

Early seasons 'dwarf': Fairchild. Excellent flavor, excellent disease resistance and production. I highly recommend Fairchild.

As far as late season....can't think of many late season 'dwarfs'....Keitt trees can be kept relatively small (under 20 ft or so). I believe Neelum is supposed to be 'semi dwarf' and is supposed to taste excellent, though I haven't tried it. There is another discussion going on where Lancetilla is talked about but it really isn't a dwarf either, though it is late season.

• mango_nut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses thus far.

How does the taste of the Rosigold and Jean Ellen rank to other mango's. Has anyone ever tasted a Jean Ellen?

Also, can anyone comment on how well the Jean Ellen, Neelum and Lancetilla produce in Florida? I rather have a good one everyday and than just a great one every once in a while.

I have yet to taste any of the mango's above.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Neelum and Lancetilla produce well in Florida.....can't comment on Jean Ellen. I have it, but it is small and fruiting way before its time. In this year when mangoes have been severely affected by the cold...I think that it will also produce well.

Harry

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Hey mango nut, of the varieties you currently have, which one tastes the best and also produces well? I don't have any mangoes yet but I'm also planning out my small yard.Thanks
    Simon

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

you can go small and have an excellent variety of mangos

smaller cultivars pickering, ice cream, nam doc mai, mallika, are so very distinct its like asking whether people prefer apples or pears.

• mango_nut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where I'm located, the nam doc mai produces the most and best mango's. Pure goodness. The mallika also produces well, but I have not totally figured out when to pic them and I think I'm letting them go a little too long on the tree. The glenn is solid all around and the carrie is decent, unfortunately they both got totally wiped out this year with the cold. The cogshall is good and held up pretty good to the cold, but its still a little guy. The Choc Anon is trying to hold on to a couple of mango's, so we'll see. I'm hoping for the elusive winter season..? I still have not tasted one of them.

As for my local factors - I have sandy soil and I do not get much rain until June. Jan - Apr is pretty dry, with May bringing in around 4 inches or so. Even though so far this month its has not rained???

For the late season mango, I think I'm going to go with the Neelum, however I'm still undecided on the early season mango...

Sponsored