Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most Productive / Best Quality Early and Late season Mango's

Posted by mango_nut Southwest Florida (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 13:32

So I'm looking to add 2 more mango's to my ever shrinking backyard and need your opinions. I'm looking for the most Productive / Best Quality Early and Late season Mango's that are dwarf or semi-dwarf. They are going to be planted into the ground (i.e. not potted). I already have a: Glenn, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai, Cogshall, Carrie and Choc Anon. So far, I'm considering Rosigold or Jean Ellen as early mango's and Neelum as a late mango. Since these are the last two, for the moment...ha,ha any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most Productive / Best Quality Early and Late season Mango's

Rosigold is the earliest and most prolific varieties i know of and the best flavored mango you will find during its season

best late season would be gold nugget and Kent both very vigorous growers, Keitt is good at giving multiple flushes.

as far as a late season dwarf, i wouldnt know one. i remember last season having some late season ice cream mangos but they are considered mid season so it may have been an uncommon occurrence.

o

Early seasons 'dwarf': Fairchild. Excellent flavor, excellent disease resistance and production. I highly recommend Fairchild.

As far as late season....can't think of many late season 'dwarfs'....Keitt trees can be kept relatively small (under 20 ft or so). I believe Neelum is supposed to be 'semi dwarf' and is supposed to taste excellent, though I haven't tried it. There is another discussion going on where Lancetilla is talked about but it really isn't a dwarf either, though it is late season.

o

Thanks for the responses thus far.

How does the taste of the Rosigold and Jean Ellen rank to other mango's. Has anyone ever tasted a Jean Ellen?

Also, can anyone comment on how well the Jean Ellen, Neelum and Lancetilla produce in Florida? I rather have a good one everyday and than just a great one every once in a while.

I have yet to taste any of the mango's above.

o

Neelum and Lancetilla produce well in Florida.....can't comment on Jean Ellen. I have it, but it is small and fruiting way before its time. In this year when mangoes have been severely affected by the cold...I think that it will also produce well.

Harry

o

Hey mango nut, of the varieties you currently have, which one tastes the best and also produces well? I don't have any mangoes yet but I'm also planning out my small yard.Thanks
Simon

o

you can go small and have an excellent variety of mangos

smaller cultivars pickering, ice cream, nam doc mai, mallika, are so very distinct its like asking whether people prefer apples or pears.

o

Where I'm located, the nam doc mai produces the most and best mango's. Pure goodness. The mallika also produces well, but I have not totally figured out when to pic them and I think I'm letting them go a little too long on the tree. The glenn is solid all around and the carrie is decent, unfortunately they both got totally wiped out this year with the cold. The cogshall is good and held up pretty good to the cold, but its still a little guy. The Choc Anon is trying to hold on to a couple of mango's, so we'll see. I'm hoping for the elusive winter season..? I still have not tasted one of them.

As for my local factors - I have sandy soil and I do not get much rain until June. Jan - Apr is pretty dry, with May bringing in around 4 inches or so. Even though so far this month its has not rained???

For the late season mango, I think I'm going to go with the Neelum, however I'm still undecided on the early season mango...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here