Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gusthemynahbird

What are the chances for this mango tree?

gusthemynahbird
9 years ago

I was at work late morning yesterday when a student of mine came in saying he had something in his car for me:

It was in the backseat, kind of standing up--which I'm having difficulty understanding at the moment, since it's about five and a half feet tall, without the roots. In any case, the roots were pretty much as they appear in the picture (taken this morning): There was some dirt in the plastic pot, but nothing was sticking to them.

I put it in the corner for the day, with some wet paper towels around the roots. Hopefully, this was better than nothing. I got home around 9 p.m. and immediately put it in a bigger pot with peat moss and organic compost, and then watered it.

My yard being pretty crowded, I unfortunately had to transport it again; a good portion of the dirt fell out during the drive--hence the nakedness of the roots in the above photo.

As for planting: I read that the hole should be twice as deep and wide as the root ball. In this case, that directive seems it might be meaningless--I mean, there *isn't* really a root ball. Nevertheless, that's what I did. I used about half existing soil (a bit sandy), a quarter organic compost and a quarter organic top soil, watering everything after each layer to get rid of air pockets. Here's what it looked like at about 9:45 this morning:

(There's a ridiculously tall Bismarck to the west, the shadow of which is just disappearing out of the bottom-right corner. So the mango will be getting sun most of the day.) The tree was in my possession about 21 hours before I planted it; the majority--but not a *significant* majority--of that time, the roots were in dirt and had been given water. My student almost definitely dug the tree up no earlier than Wednesday. So I'm guessing the upper bound on its time out of the ground is about 48 hours.

So, what're my questions? Obviously, it's a bit late to be asking for most advice; however, it seemed the sooner I got this thing back in the ground, the better. So I guess my questions are these: Now what? Should I fertilize it? I assume I should be watering it every day--but how many times, and how much? Basically, what's the best thing to do to keep this thing alive?

It's not just that it's a free mango tree. A couple years ago, the last time I saw this student, he gave me some mangoes. I wasn't expecting much because he said he had grown his tree from a seed. Now, I'm probably a bit of a mango rube, but these were the best things I'd ever eaten. He said they were Blue Ribbon mangoes; I have been unable to find any information about such a cultivar. (I know different people call things different names: I think he's Jamaican, if that suggests another name for these mangoes.) These Blue Ribbon mangoes had a longer shape, which, if I'm not mistaken means they might be polyembryonic? I realize this is not a guarantee that the tree will bear fruit just as good as the piece it came from--but the odds would be better. So if I could get my own Blue Ribbon mangoes, I would be *very* happy. (And if I don't, well, at least I'll have a plant that's ready to be top-worked.)

This is already pretty rambling, but there are two more things. First, what's going on with these leaves?

I mean, of course, the ones that are starting to brown. (You should be able to see this in the previous photo as well if you click on it.) They were starting to do this a tiny bit when I took my first photo of the tree, around 11 a.m. yesterday. Is this due to something beyond the immediate circumstances of the plant? Should I cut these leaves off, so that the tree isn't needlessly diverting resources to them? (Needlessly if they're going to die, I mean.)

Second, what's this green thing sticking out where the tree branches?

Might there have been fruit already? Like I said, it's about five-foot-six above the ground; I have no idea how old that means it is, though. (I know it's a bit blurry; sorry about that.)

Anyway, that's more than enough for now. Thank you for reading and for any comments or advice you can offer.

Dan
White City, Fla.
(The three lives just above the Martin County line, though.)

Comments (7)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Generally mangos are tough plants, but I think yours is showing signs of the roots having dried out too much. I wouldn't fertilise it just now. What I often do with transplants is soak them in a weak solution of fish/seaweed fertiliser for a while before planting. Regular fertilisers would be too strong for now. If yours is from a seed then it wouldn't have flowered already. Grafted trees will flower smaller. In fact, the graft is as old as the tree it came from.

• mangodog
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do everything that TropicBreezent says to do....if you can....and..... get some shade on that thing! It's not going to grow, or even survive, if it doesn't get some fresh roots growing first and it doesn't need the stress of having sun on it right now....

Good luck!

MDog

• sapote
    9 years ago

For me I would strip off all the leaves and then place the tree in a bucket of water covering the root, and a plastic bag over the tree. Then as soon as possible I plant it in a shaded area until it recover before plant at permanence location.

Sapote

• gusthemynahbird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and my apologies for the delay in responding: I checked the box to have replies sent to my email, but the only notice I received was for sapote's--less than a half hour ago. So I guess I know now not to trust that setup.

Anyway, since the tree is already in the ground, should I be digging it up again? I mean, I don't know if that's a ridiculous question, but, like I wrote earlier, it's in a pretty sunny area. Or is there another option? I don't know if I've ever heard of covering up a tree (like with a tarp or something), but it seems that might make it very hot--and therefore it would probably be a no-no. (By the way, by "another" option, I mean one that's just as good: If digging it up is the best thing to do, I'll do it.)

As I mentioned, this is at my parents' house, so I haven't been able to see it since Sunday, the 25th, two days after I planted it. Below I'll post some pictures I took late that day. The top looked a bit worse, but the rest of the tree looked about the same. My mother has been watering it twice a day since then; she says it looks about the same. With luck, I'll get a chance to go over there this afternoon and see what I think; I'll post photos if I think they add any new information.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help so far.

Dan

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I wouldn't dig it up again...I would try and build a shelter from the very hot afternoon sun...maybe some post or PVC pipe stuck to the ground and a shade cloth on top?

And keep fingers crossed...make sure you water it regularly, don't drown it but keep the soil "moist"...while its trying to regrow roots....Best of Luck!!

Oh and I would not remove any of the green leaves...your plant will need all that it has while recovering.

Something like this but make sure the top has a "shade" cloth also...nothing too thick but something that will let some light in but not burn the foliage while recouping...

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

With all due respect to Sapote, I would not dig it up OR strip it's leaves. I think it's had enough stress to last it's life time! Pug's advice and picture of shading it is great.

I actually think it's got a great chance of living and growing....and I would think a good big drink of about a gallon of water or so once a day (assuming it doesn't rain) is a good idea....

Gosh, now I REALLY want to see this mango "holocaust" survivor survive!!!!!

PLEASE, keep us posted.....

myamberFANG

• sapote
    9 years ago

The last of Dan's pic looks very hopeful -- the leaves looks unwilted. When I saw the bare root photo, first thing in mind was how to stop it from dehydrating by reducing the foliage. Removing all the leaves for mango might not be all good as I am thinking now, but in my case I would reduce at least half of the leaves, especially the ones that already wilted and burned. I know this sounds very cruel to the poor thing, but reducing the leaves in this case is like stop blood from bleeding. I agreed not to dig it up now. Try to provide open shade (not enclose which overheat it) and add water misting to cool and wet the leaves if you can.

Remember when grafting the mango or any trees, the most common method is reducing all of the scion wood leaves (or spray liquid wax to seal up the leaves), or the scion will dry and die.