Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgsg_gw

Help identifying mango problem

sgsg
9 years ago

Hi,

I posted this message on Garden Clinic and got a suggestion to try here.
I have a 4-5 year old Mango tree.
For the past 2 years or so, I am fighting a disease which causes black spots on leaves and fruit stems.
This year the tree barely managed to produce any new leaves, the fruit stems dry out and the small fruits falls falls.

What could be the cause ?
Is there a way to restrain the disease ?
Here are some photos that might help

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Comments (9)

• mangodog
    9 years ago

I dont' have this issue on my mangoes, but what do you other guys think - anthracnose or powdery mildew or.....??

I would just gather a guess of anthracnose....

M-Dog

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I can't see the photos, will have to check on my own computer tonight. But it does sound like anthracnose. Never thought it could have such severe effects on the tree, mostly it's low level and blemishes the fruit. One of the main commercial remedies is spraying with a copper based fungicide. The spores are everywhere in nature so you're never really without them. But it seems your tree is more susceptible. That could be because it's weak and needs some fetiliser. Or else it might be in a too shady/humid spot and not enough air circulation.

Mangos always drop a lot of small fruit. The trees produce masses of flowers and can't maintain the numbers that are fertilised. But there still should be a lot that get through to maturity.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

That is my "guess" as well...Anthracnose? Google some pictures and see if that fits...you can always try taking a few of the affected leaves to a reputable nursery (prefably) one that sells Mango trees or tropical fruits and see if they know what it might be...Good luck!!

• jalilu
    9 years ago

My mango little trees must have the same problem, as leaf buds look burned like yours. I downloaded a useful file about mango diseases. It contains picture for each type of disease or nutrient deficiency. Post your email address so that I could email it to you.

Jalilu

• sgsg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replays.
    I will look for a copper based spray, in hope to help the tree recover.
    What frequency should I apply the spary? once a season? once a month?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

The directions should be on the Bottle...each brand will be different so follow directions. When in doubt you can always call or email the company that makes it and ask them...

• greenman62
    9 years ago

Just an FYI
    Wall Mart (at least in my area)
    has ataulfo mango for $.69 cents each.
    I have 2 seedlings coming up now.

• sapote
    9 years ago

"For the past 2 years or so, I am fighting a disease which causes black spots on leaves and fruit stems. "

I wish you can post photo of the diseased fruit stems with black spots. It's hard to tell from these "after math" photos, but my guess is you had powdery mildew. The leaves don't look that bad at all. Next time when flower come out and if you see the disease, paint the stems with Sulphur water (mix sulphur and water for a paste like substance). I fought off mildew this way and this year I'm having 8 Manila fruits :)

• sapote
    9 years ago

"For the past 2 years or so, I am fighting a disease which causes black spots on leaves and fruit stems. "

I wish you can post photo of the diseased fruit stems with black spots. It's hard to tell from these "after math" photos, but my guess is you had powdery mildew. The leaves don't look that bad at all. Next time when flower come out and if you see the disease, paint the stems with Sulphur water (mix sulphur and water for a paste like substance). I fought off mildew this way and this year I'm having 8 Manila fruits :)