Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

sweetheart v hak ip and other lychee pearls of wisdom

lycheeluva
12 years ago

so i think i may have discovered a difference between hak ip and sweetheart, though its a very tentative theory as i have zero proof. from what i have seen in china town, the hak ip lychees have plenty of green blush to them, whereas the sweetheart r almost entirely red. i say tentative because neither of these two lychees r labelled and so im not certain that the red-green is hak ip and the totally red is sweetheart but i have a pretty strong hunch.

otherwise, they r pretty identical. they r both large for lychees, both have very small stones, both are very sweet and very juicy and both have a noticible astringent quality. the only difference i can see is that the sweetheart shell is fully red whereas the hak ip isnt. will try and take some good pics tomorrow and post to illustrate.

(the sweetheart are distinguishable from brewster because they r way bigger, more heart shaped and have spinier shells. the hak-ip is distinguishable from the mauritius in the same way. of course the hakip and sweetheart also taste quite different to brewster and mauritius).

in other lychee news, today was the first day that they were selling florida mauritius in china town. till now they have been selling the mexican mauritius which ripen a couple of weeks earlier. there is no comparison, the fl version wins hands down and as a bonus they are bigger and have smaller seeds. having said that the mexican ones r great till the fl ones arrive, and i certainly wouldnt kick them out of bed. the mexican lychees were selling for as low as $2.30 a pound, which means the poor mexican farmer must be selling them at under a buck per pound. the fl lychees r selling at $5 a pound, though the price usually comes down to around $3.50-$4 a pound, as the supply increases. the sweetheart and hak ip lychees, if thats what they r, r selling at $8-9 a pound, which is mangosteen price.

Comments (5)