Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fangzz_gw

Holiday Avocado not fruiting

fangzz
10 years ago

Beautiful, healthy looking, 4 year old tree set thousands of little flowers and buds. Last year and this. They all fall off.

Am I expecting too much too soon? I'm not getting any younger.

Comments (9)

• flatwoods_farm
    10 years ago

It's grafted, I presume? Even in the best conditions, some just take their sweet time.Many trees are alternate bearing. If the trunk is thick enough, you might try the nail trick this fall to induce flowers.

• fangzz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, it's grafted, and bot as a 3-4 footer about 4-5 years ago. Thot I'd heard of every trick, but the 'nail trick' is a new one one me. Trunk at the base is about 5" dia.

You've never seen anything so healthy. Covered in green, glossy leaves. And that's it. Last year, for the first time, it put out a million little buds. They all flowered. Had bees all over them. Then they fell to the ground. Every one. Ditto this year. Big disappointment. She seems very happy in her spot, however. I've never pruned it, and it's a bit scraggly; lots of low-hanging limbs. I suppose that's NOT the problem, however. Do you think it's just "time?"

• avocado101
    10 years ago

I have a Fuerte that had a similar symptom. It's six years old now. In it's 4th year, it gave 9 fruit. Last year, it set few fruit, but they all fell off after becoming little smaller than golf ball sized. This year, for about two or three weeks, it did not set fruit. And literally, it dropped tens of thousands of its flowers. Until about two weeks ago, it started to set fruit. Hopefully the fruits will mature. (fingers crossed).

• avocado101
    10 years ago

Forgot to add: I think the weather may have played a role in condition for setting the fruit. How is the weather in Florida? Because it has been unusually cooler in Southern California.

• fangzz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is the 'nail' trick, referred to by another poster?

Very mild winter here in N.W. Florida. A rather cool spring, so far. So, are you saying it might fruit, even tho all the flowers dropped off? Did I read that right? Thanks.

• sarvananda
    8 years ago

We finally got fruit after five years or so, only ten or so, but they are ENORMOUS; one is so big, about 5 inches wide, and 6 inches long, very good flavor and fat content

• Eric
    8 years ago

I have the same tree I was wondering how big did yourS get im contemplating where to planted I keep getting to many sizes from 8-12 ft and 20-25 ft And also a pic would be good if you can

• steiconi
    8 years ago

three of my no-name avos bloomed last year but set no fruit. I thought they'd done it again this year, but finally spotted a few fruit. Yay! I hope they taste good. If not, we'll cut down the trees because they're all too close to the house.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz